WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Permethrin

I have used the sawyer premix, but that is expensive to treat my hiking clothes every six washings. I understand there is martins 10 which also seems to be sold by control systems. that is 10% so you mix 20 parts water to 1 part. I was thinking of getting a small tank sprayer as it would be easier to treat many things instead off all trigger squeezing on a hand bottle. Anyone do it this way?

Also there I have read there is 2 version of martins. Which is the water based one that people use for clothing? Technically it seems none are "approved" for this but many people do it. My guess they just did not go through the testing and approval process that Sawyer went through. Links please?

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    I have used the sawyer premix, but that is expensive to treat my hiking clothes every six washings. I understand there is martins 10 which also seems to be sold by control systems. that is 10% so you mix 20 parts water to 1 part. I was thinking of getting a small tank sprayer as it would be easier to treat many things instead off all trigger squeezing on a hand bottle. Anyone do it this way?

Also there I have read there is 2 version of martins. Which is the water based one that people use for clothing? Technically it seems none are "approved" for this but many people do it. My guess they just did not go through the testing and approval process that Sawyer went through. Links please?
    Look for the one that says "indoor use."

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    I have used the sawyer premix, but that is expensive to treat my hiking clothes every six washings. I understand there is martins 10 which also seems to be sold by control systems. that is 10% so you mix 20 parts water to 1 part.
    Minor correction, I think 19 parts water to 1 part 10% permethrin will give you 0.5%. 20 parts water would make the 10% permethrin be only 1/21 of the solution, thus a bit on the weak side.

Also, check the Sawyer premix. They say "synthetic Permethrin can last 6 weeks or 6 washings on clothing and other fabrics" ... if it's the earlier of 6 weeks or 6 washings, that may affect your view of the cost/benefit ratio.

Thanks that makes sense. Good thing I decided to not be a chemist or my solutions would have been wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++