WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Post Stretching your fuel longer

I haven't tried them yet But I found this on the shelf at Walmart. I they work; I bet you could use a lot less alcohol to just rewarm these noodles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

These were discussed a few months ago. Isn't this cooked pasta packed wet? Like a myriad of Indian and Asian rice sides in supermarkets everywhere? If so, the pasta and packaging far outweigh any fuel savings.
    The package in your photo weighs 8.5 ounces. How many servings is that?
    Alas, no free lunch.
    The Barilla Tortellini is quite tasty and soaks and cooks fairly quickly. Tastes better in my mouth than a Knorr side.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

dehydrate your own pasta....soak in freezer bag. Rehydrates nicely.
    things that are precooked...rehydrate nicely. Ramen. Minute rice. etc.

There is some precooked and dried pasta you can buy. One kind is an asian noodle.

OR....simply pre-soak your pasta for 90 min in cold water. Then cook it for 1 minute. Its done.

Go to the Asian section of any well stocked supermarket. There are numerous brands and versions of rice noodles that cook fast. Read the cooking directions.
    You're looking for directions like: Add noodles to X amount of water. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Eat. Sounds like Freezer Bag Cooking to me. Right? You may wish to break down the noodles and water into individual servings depending on the size of the box of noodles.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    OR....simply pre-soak your pasta for 90 min in cold water. Then cook it for 1 minute. Its done.
    This method has worked great for the dried tortellini. I'll soak them for 1 to 2 hours before dinner. Bring to boil. Then let them sit for another 5 minutes or so.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrL View Post
    This method has worked great for the dried tortellini. I'll soak them for 1 to 2 hours before dinner. Bring to boil. Then let them sit for another 5 minutes or so.
    Wow, I'm impressed by your willpower. I can't really contemplate waiting 1-2 hours from reaching camp to starting dinner. My wait time is in minutes, not hours.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Wow, I'm impressed by your willpower. I can't really contemplate waiting 1-2 hours from reaching camp to starting dinner. My wait time is in minutes, not hours.
    You could always do a cold soak in a screw top jar (the plastics Talenti containers are popular) a few miles from camp to get it started.

I have carried a can of chili for a simple overnighter when I was doing some sort of gear test and wasn't going too far into the woods. But for anything more than that, it is IMO moronic to carry any pre-hydrated food.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Go to the Asian section of any well stocked supermarket. There are numerous brands and versions of rice noodles that cook fast. Read the cooking directions.
    You're looking for directions like: Add noodles to X amount of water. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Eat. Sounds like Freezer Bag Cooking to me. Right? You may wish to break down the noodles and water into individual servings depending on the size of the box of noodles.
    Wayne

I get Somen Noodles from a local Asian Market. They only need to boil for about 1 to 2 minutes and there ready to go. Kids love them enough that I buy them more for home use than for camping.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I have carried a can of chili for a simple overnighter when I was doing some sort of gear test and wasn't going too far into the woods. But for anything more than that, it is IMO moronic to carry any pre-hydrated food.
    Not necesarilly

We carry dehydrated because its lighter than carrying water ....if we can get water to rehydrate on trail.

If you have to carry all your water....it doesnt matter.

In places with no water, like big bend np, bring whatever you like. Dont matter if water is separate from food, or in food.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-21-2017 at 11:26.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    You could always do a cold soak in a screw top jar (the plastics Talenti containers are popular) a few miles from camp to get it started.
    Why would I want to carry water all that way? I'd rather eat my meal earlier where water is convenient, then hike a bit more with no meal at the end of the day. Water in the body is the best-balanced load.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Not necesarilly

We carry dehydrated because its lighter than carrying water ....if we can get water to rehydrate on trail.

If you have to carry all your water....it doesnt matter.

In places with no water, like big bend np, bring whatever you like. Dont matter if water is separate from food, or in food.
    This is a rare exception, and a point I made recently in a similar discussion at BPL. But even under this scenario it is hardly ever worth it to carry hydrated food from both the weight and volume perspectives unless you're not going to find another water source for 5 days or so... how often does that happen, even in most desert backpacking venues?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    This is a rare exception, and a point I made recently in a similar discussion at BPL. But even under this scenario it is hardly ever worth it to carry hydrated food from both the weight and volume perspectives unless you're not going to find another water source for 5 days or so... how often does that happen, even in most desert backpacking venues?
    I want to see person that carry 5 days water. That be about ....55 lbs...minimum.

Its very plausible for 1-1.5 days. I done it
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-21-2017 at 12:19.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    I start soaking well before reaching camp. Not really a matter of willpower, more like forethought.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I just use the ziplock baggie and move it to a safe spot in my pack. No problems to date.

Buried in the bowels of WhiteBlaze is a one time quick test of the Barilla Tortellini performed on my kitchen stove top.
    It went something like this:
    Place water and tortellini in a pot on the stove.
    Turn on stove. Bring water to a boil.
    Turn off stove. Remove pot from burner and let stand covered.
    At 5 minutes the tortellini was chewy. Between 10 & 12 minutes the tortellini was just right.
    I have some new cooking gear to test and I shall repeat the test with the tortellini.
    Stand by.
    Wayne

Buried in the bowels of WhiteBlaze is a one time quick test of the Barilla Tortellini performed on my kitchen stove top.
    It went something like this:
    Place water and tortellini in a pot on the stove.
    Turn on stove. Bring water to a boil.
    Turn off stove. Remove pot from burner and let stand covered.
    At 5 minutes the tortellini was chewy. Between 10 & 12 minutes the tortellini was just right.
    I have some new cooking gear to test and I shall repeat the test with the tortellini.
    Stand by.
    Wayne
    Let's see if this works. Latest successful pasta cooking experiment.

Adventures in cooking on my deck - I

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t

There it is.
    Wayne

Images

One way I save fuel is don't bring the water all the way to a boil. 175º to195º is plenty hot enough for rehydrating food and making coffee. Only good reason to boil water is to sterilize it if you don't have a filter or chemical. Soaking the food an hour or two before camp is a great idea. Just add the water to the ziplock and put the ziplock inside the cozy to hold it upright in your side pocket. I carry a 750ml cup in my side pocket, just right for holding a nalgene or smart water bottle or for holding the meal while it rehydrates. Only add a portion of the water cold, then when I get to camp add enough hot water to make the meal tasty and satisfying. Sure you are carrying an extra few ounces of water that last hour or so before camp, but the upside is you get a delicious hot dinner.

Soaking, in this case, would be dumb.
    As for bringing the water to a boil, the JetBoil does it so quickly, I doubt that the water exceeded your 195 degrees for more than a nano second before I closed the valve.
    I had a hot dinner. For this recipe, soaking would be completely superfluous and probably yield mushy pasta.
    Where did I mention a Ziploc?
    You go your way and I'll go mine.
    Wayne

Images

Soaking, in this case, would be dumb.
    As for bringing the water to a boil, the JetBoil does it so quickly, I doubt that the water exceeded your 195 degrees for more than a nano second before I closed the valve.
    I had a hot dinner. For this recipe, soaking would be completely superfluous and probably yield mushy pasta.
    Where did I mention a Ziploc?
    You go your way and I'll go mine.
    Wayne

not everything is about you.....i was responding to the thread. sorry to confuse you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++