WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    Sorry...not sure what you mean by your first sentence.
    Need more input to make an informed decision.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I guess I didn't think in mattered where and when I would use it since I gave a temp range for the bag...whether it's 35* in the smokies or in NJ.
    6,000' elevation in the Smokies can be VERY different from 600' or less in NJ on the same day.

If you're actually asking for recommended manufacturers rather than a temp range, then easiest answer is you get what you pay.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 07-10-2017 at 13:10.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

All mummy bags are not created equal. Even among seemingly similar bags, the internal dimensions can make the difference between a perfect night's sleep and claustrophobia.
    Two premium bag makers in the USA don't use treated down. Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering. The jury is still out.
    You need to determine YOUR reaction to low temperatures and your ability to sleep comfortably at different temperatures. Everyone is different. There's a member of WhiteBlaze who claims to own a zero degree sleeping bag. That person also claims to freeze in the bag at 30 degrees. An extreme example but it happens.
    On the other hand, I've been sleeping soundly in my 20 degree (16 EN rated) bag at 12 degrees. With the customary sleeping attire for such temperatures. Without resorting to a "down puffy" which I don't own.
    It takes time to know what you'll need. We don't have the answers. Only you know what works for you.
    When in doubt, be wrong on the warm side.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    6,000' elevation in the Smokies can be VERY different from 600' or less in NJ on the same day.

If you're actually asking for recommended manufacturers rather than a temp range, then easiest answer is you get what you pay.
    Sorry for being so dense, but isn't 35* air temp at 6,000 feet in the Smokies the same as a 35* air temp at 600 feet in NJ?

Journal Entries

I am going to let Rain Man answer your last question, but the short answer is no. You have to realize that sleeping bags vary in construction, loft, internal design and many other things. What works for one person may not work for you. Are you a cold sleeper or a warm sleeper? What type of pad/mattress are you going to be using? Will you mainly be using a tent or are you a shelter person?

Another thing to realize is the layer of the bag under your body is not offering any insulation, because you have crushed the loft. That's why some people use quilts instead of bags even when tenting. Something else to consider is the amount of time you are going to be out hiking/backpacking. If it is a one shot deal, your best bet is to buy used as you will not recover your expense on a new bag or quilt. The whole idea if us asking all these questions is to give you the best possible answer. Your original post made it sound like you were going to buy several different bags, when usually it only takes one to cover your needs.

No one is calling you dense. There are a lot of posts made "What is the best _________?" Best for what? I hope this helps you understand why we are asking such questions.
    Blackheart

Sorry for being so dense, but isn't 35* air temp at 6,000 feet in the Smokies the same as a 35* air temp at 600 feet in NJ?
    Are you so naive to believe that a 35* rated bag will keep you warm at 35*? It may keep you warm at 45, and thats if the wind isnt blowing and its not raining.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Are you so naive to believe that a 35* rated bag will keep you warm at 35*? It may keep you warm at 45, and thats if the wind isnt blowing and its not raining.
    It depends. Both of my sleeping bags combined with the rest of my Sleeping System allow me to sleep comfortably several degrees below their indicated ratings of 20 and 0 degrees. I attribute this to my individual metabolism, shelter and conservative bag ratings.
    I don't expect my system to work for others.
    Wayne

Garlic
    Images

And of course there are many experience factors, such as location of campsite, how well and in what direction you pitch your shelter, whether you're starting out dry, well hydrated and well-fed, what clothing you do or don't wear to bed. Do you know how to ventilate your shelter so you stay dry? Even your frame of mind comes into play. Are you panicked or restful?

It's impossible to compare one person's experience with a certain piece of gear with another's.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    All mummy bags are not created equal. Even among seemingly similar bags, the internal dimensions can make the difference between a perfect night's sleep and claustrophobia.

You need to determine YOUR reaction to low temperatures and your ability to sleep comfortably at different temperatures. Everyone is different. There's a member of WhiteBlaze who claims to own a zero degree sleeping bag. That person also claims to freeze in the bag at 30 degrees. An extreme example but it happens.

On the other hand, I've been sleeping soundly in my 20 degree (16 EN rated) bag at 12 degrees. With the customary sleeping attire for such temperatures. Without resorting to a "down puffy" which I don't own.
    It takes time to know what you'll need. We don't have the answers.
    There's a prime example that makes the pt that measurement of loft is no absolute accurate determination of temp rating and puts a contextual twist on what the heck warmth to wt ratios MIGHT really entail.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    And of course there are many experience factors, such as location of campsite, how well and in what direction you pitch your shelter, whether you're starting out dry, well hydrated and well-fed, what clothing you do or don't wear to bed. Do you know how to ventilate your shelter so you stay dry? Even your frame of mind comes into play. Are you panicked or restful?

It's impossible to compare one person's experience with a certain piece of gear with another's.
    Duh! What have I been trying, apparently unsuccessfully, to explain to the OP?
    Personal experience is the only teacher. Renting gear if possible is a viable way to gain experience.
    The internet doesn't have the answers.
    Wayne

I apologize for over reacting.
    There is no one right magic bullet for gear as personal as what we use to get a good night's sleep in the middle of nowhere.
    Happy hunting.
    Wayne

After you pick a temp rating it all boils down to how much can you afford to spend. In general, the more you spend the less the bag will weigh. Now you have to decide how much of a premium you want to pay for a given amount of weight savings. Is spending an extra $200 to save 4 ounces worth it to you or not?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

When faced with a similar decision for the summer season on my AT thru, I looked at total down weights as well as total bag weights from several reputable manufacturers. I ended up with a Phantom 40 from Mt Hardwear, but it was a close call among several. Price ended up being the decision point. That was nearly ten years ago so my brand input is probably meaningless now, but I would use the same method. If a manufacturer does not list fill specs and weights, do not look at that brand any further.

PS: The bag worked fine for those months, but I sold it after that hike. At the risk of repeating myself, I wouldn't buy it again since my 30F quilt has entered the picture. At those temps, a zipper and hood were sort of useless, I now think.

Thank you. Those are valuable comments and input.

What range does your 30 degree quilt actually take you to and how do you use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    It can work the other way, too. I'm apparently not claustrophobic. In a normal bed I grab the covers when I turn, and end up wrapped up snugly. When I tried a quilt instead of a sleeping bag I ended up pulling one end loose from the pad each time I turned, venting all the warm air out until I woke up and tucked the quilt under me again. (Repeated several times through the night, making for a miserable sleeping experience.) So for me a roomy bag is just going to end up scrunched into a tighter shape, and the temperature is going to vary depending on the degree of scrunch. So for me a snug mummy works just fine; I don't have a need for extra material beyond what accommodates my shape.

i think the OP was asking a simple question....
    not for advice on ratings....but for suggestions on bags with those ratings.....
    as in I like the 40 degree bag made by XYZ, except the liner is a bit sticky...... like that.

Sorry, I don't have down.
    So all I can add is that I have a BA Kings Canyon synthetic quilt, the old version. I think it's rated to 45 degrees. I've used it down to around a bit below 50 I believe...although I didn't have an exact temp. Got cold with it. I'd say for me it works to about 50.
    Filling is a bit sparse...there are some areas where the filling falls to one side of the pocket and so it seems like there are some thin uninsulated spots....but overall I like it...packs light and small for what it is.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post
    ...What range does your 30 degree quilt actually take you to and how do you use it?
    In the first week of using my 30F quilt, I camped several nights in a spring blizzard in the North Cascades, with temps just below 30F. I was extremely pleased with the quilt, which was just long enough to pull over my head and make a hood of sorts, and the included straps and snaps were just good enough to keep me wrapped up. An unexpected bonus was how clean it stayed since I never actually slept on it. My bags get grungiest around the torso and neck area, not a concern with a quilt. A break in the sunshine every few days and the quilt stayed fresh for a summer-long trip.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

In the first week of using my 30F quilt, I camped several nights in a spring blizzard in the North Cascades, with temps just below 30F. I was extremely pleased with the quilt, which was just long enough to pull over my head and make a hood of sorts, and the included straps and snaps were just good enough to keep me wrapped up. An unexpected bonus was how clean it stayed since I never actually slept on it. My bags get grungiest around the torso and neck area, not a concern with a quilt. A break in the sunshine every few days and the quilt stayed fresh for a summer-long trip.

That was a great review.

what brand is your quilt and how much does it weigh?

weight/fill power seems to be the best predictor of warmth when combined with quality of construction. (I.e. Baffle design, etc).
    Last edited by Ethesis; 08-07-2017 at 12:50.

If you're going to hike all over the place and into september, a 20f quilt is a good way to go (the rating can be closer to 30 for some). Check out enlightened equipment. They have the conundrum sleeping bag as well that you could look at if you want the option of a proper bag
    There are multiple other quilt manufacturers, such as hammock gear (I own an HG 20f quilt, and it's solid to around 25-30f in my experience)

For sleeping bags, if you want a better recommendation, you probably need to provide a budget and preference (roomy, mummy bag, etc)

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    ...what brand is your quilt and how much does it weigh?

weight/fill power seems to be the best predictor of warmth when combined with quality of construction. (I.e. Baffle design, etc).
    The enLightened Equipment RevX30 weighed 19 oz when I bought mine about five years ago. Specs may have changed.

I agree baffle design is an important feature to pay attention to. Mine allows me to move down in both directions, but I don't think EE uses that design for that quilt any more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++