WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I just purchased a TT Stratospire 1. I liked the doublewall, double vestibule (for JMT views), and ability to pitch inner or outer separately. Yet still comes in lighter than my current tent. Only downside is packability due to the struts.

If for some reason it's not a fit, I'll return it and just bite the bullet on a Duplex or Altaplex. They are awesome tents, spacious, and very packable. I just couldn't bite that $500-$600 bullet without giving the $300 SS1 a shot first. Man, even the used ones are still trying to be sold for $550 on Reddit and Ebay.
    What is the problem with the struts? The SS 1 in the stuff sack slides right in an outside pocket on my Terraplane. The struts are removable.
    One more TT feature: Pitch as a unit in the rain and the inner tent stays dry.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Packability is an important feature for me. No issue stuffing it in an outside pocket, but being able to stuff and conform the tent in and around other gear (such as a big bear can), would be an ideal feature for me. But, trade-off's, man.

Pull the struts out.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Yup, trade offs. The struts are removable, but the trade-off is reduced speed to pitch if you have to install prior to pitching - important if it's raining.
    I'll probably never get to be truly ultralight, because I'd rather have a slightly larger pack that fits my equipment without stuffing it...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

There you go. The right tool for the job.
    Wayne

I got my SS1 last night, set it up in the backyard. Love the headroom, but the daggon mesh is a bit saggy at the ends and either my head or feet will touch it. I decided to send it back but lo and behold I punched a damn hole near the roof support (the pole fell down and when I reset it I guess I didn't get the trekking pole tip into the grommet properly)...so I guess I own it now. I was thinking about attaching some velcro dots to attach the outer mesh to the inner fly at the ends to lift the mesh and give me more room. I'll play around with it this weekend. Otherwise love the tent though, gonna provide some awesome views on the JMT in a few weeks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++