WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Kenyan marathoner outruns Maine bears

I put this in the speed hiking/trail running forum.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...g-run-in-maine

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I put this in the speed hiking/trail running forum.
    Everyone should really slow down and learn to appreciate their time spent with the charging bears.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Technically speaking 60 feet isn't really a run, barely a dash, more like a hop skip and a jump.

Images

Never unplug a bear from its charger before it's full.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Running with the bulls to replaced soon by "Dashing with the Bears".

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Technically speaking 60 feet isn't really a run, barely a dash, more like a hop skip and a jump.
    If you're going full speed for 60 feet with two bears in chase mode, I'd say it's definitely a dash.
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hillwalker View Post
    Never unplug a bear from its charger before it's full.
    ...and if it's a polar bear move to a warm environment before charging, to give you half a chance.

Journal Entries
    Images

That would be a very unusual behavior for one black bear, but two?
    Together?
    It would have to be a mother and her cub (from this year or last), right?
    Odder still.

Makes me wonder if there might be more to the story ....

Quote Originally Posted by Ankle Bone View Post
    If you're going full speed for 60 feet with two bears in chase mode, I'd say it's definitely a dash.
    And a mad one at that!

Those bears seem highly motivational.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Shoulda learned to swim...

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    That would be a very unusual behavior for one black bear, but two?
    Together?
    It would have to be a mother and her cub (from this year or last), right?
    Odder still.
    Makes me wonder if there might be more to the story ....
    Judging by the last several weeks of black bear stories, it's looking less unusual.

Terrible article. It promotes running from bears possibly inciting further a prey predator response. Read the account. He was lucky under fortunate circumstances 1) to be a PROFESSIONAL runner 2) to have a house to run into 20 yds away 3) to be on a flat gravel maintained improved road

Further, although he initially stood his ground turned his back on two bears that charged not offering if it was a false charge as most often happens with Black Bears. The Kenyan runner rightly says harder to continue standing ground if you do not know Black Bears are notorious for false charges. What could, and likely does play into this, is him not making himself appear larger and making noise.

Read the Wardens Black Bear advice and follow it... not the runners sensationalized accounts!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Terrible article. It promotes running from bears possibly inciting further a prey predator response.
    No it doesn't. FTR:

Wardens advise people who encounter black bears to make themselves appear big, make noise and back away slowly. But they recommend people stand their ground if a black bear charges and say if the bear attacks, then fight back.

It looks like the article does a fairly decent job of balancing the story. All in all, it was a decent story. He lived. The bears are gone. I see no promotion of running in this. Did he make some mistakes? Sure. The isn't a hiking story and he didn't set out into the wilderness on some kind of adventure. He can't be expected to know everything he should do. Is it in his best interest in Maine? Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    No it doesn't. FTR:

Wardens advise people who encounter black bears to make themselves appear big, make noise and back away slowly. But they recommend people stand their ground if a black bear charges and say if the bear attacks, then fight back.

It looks like the article does a fairly decent job of balancing the story. All in all, it was a decent story. He lived. The bears are gone. I see no promotion of running in this. Did he make some mistakes? Sure. The isn't a hiking story and he didn't set out into the wilderness on some kind of adventure. He can't be expected to know everything he should do. Is it in his best interest in Maine? Probably.
    The headline is what most will focus on - Professional runner outruns 2 bears while out on morning run in Maine. No promotion of running? It's mentioned three separate times in the title. People tend to skip over vital details by not reading an entire article. It's the age in which we live. We don't have to look very far to recognize this as it happens here on WB on a daily basis and that's within an outdoor community.

No one can be expected to know everything. No one is assuming he should. But being aware of one's surroundings I don't think is too much to ask. If I was a professional runner going to another country, say Kenya, to say train, I'd sure try to make myself aware of common dangers in the vicinity - Big cats, hyenas, elephants, rhinos, armed militia, private land, etc and refer to locals how to minimize and address risks.

Uncle Joe, if you got and considered the warden's advice on your first read - your only read - without having yet read all the posts on the thread that could be because you're someone from a different generation, a full reader, maybe with good patience, who is willing to consider more deeply with a longer attention span?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Further, although he initially stood his ground turned his back on two bears that charged not offering if it was a false charge as most often happens with Black Bears. The Kenyan runner rightly says harder to continue standing ground if you do not know Black Bears are notorious for false charges. What could, and likely does play into this, is him not making himself appear larger and making noise.
    In all of recorded history, has there ever been another account of two black bears attacking (or even just charging 60 yards) together?

Genuine question -- I don't know.

• If so, would this pair have likely been a mother and cub?
    • Two siblings, recently separate from thier mother?
    • A male and female hanging out together for a bit during mating season (which is about now)?

While I tend to believe the runner's story, it is possible -- just possible -- that it is not entirely accurate? I will not suggest any hypotheticals as to why an individual might create a false report, but might that be something to be considered?

That one black bear would charge a man is unusual.

That it would hang around after the runner broke into the porch effectively trapping him (indicating it was not just a bluff charge) is even more usual.

That two bears would this together is even more unusual still,

Have there been any other reports of two black bear workin together like this -- ever?

Genuine question. I bet I am not he only one wondering about that.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    In all of recorded history, has there ever been another account of two black bears attacking (or even just charging 60 yards) together?

Genuine question -- I don't know.

• If so, would this pair have likely been a mother and cub?
    • Two siblings, recently separate from thier mother?
    • A male and female hanging out together for a bit during mating season (which is about now)?

While I tend to believe the runner's story, it is possible -- just possible -- that it is not entirely accurate? I will not suggest any hypotheticals as to why an individual might create a false report, but might that be something to be considered?

That one black bear would charge a man is unusual.

That it would hang around after the runner broke into the porch effectively trapping him (indicating it was not just a bluff charge) is even more usual.

That two bears would this together is even more unusual still,

Have there been any other reports of two black bear workin together like this -- ever?

Genuine question. I bet I am not he only one wondering about that.
    Good point. Black bears are solitary creatures. They will not seek out other black bears.

++ New Posts ++