WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    I used the j-stakes that Big Agnes uses. They were awesome. Slightly heavier than the ti ones but they don't bend or break.
    I'll agree with KDogg on the J stakes from Big Agnes. After reading his post, I grabbed the ones from my sons tent and have been using them. After bending 3 of the similar titanium offerings from Zpacks, I thought I'd try these. The are barely any heavier and seem much stronger.

Default Tent Stakes for Zpacks Duplex

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    There is another way which we use in rope rescue (low angle), called a picket fence which is sometimes useful here as well. Your method introduces extra 'inward' forces, much like hammocks do on trees. However your method adds stability and resists sideways forces including tripping over the guyline.

For the picket fence, the tent is staked to the primary stake like normal, then that primary stake is staked further back but in line with the first guy line. This can continue out as many times as you need.

Also the tent guyline is attached to the first stake at ground level, while the second guyline attaches to the first steak as high as practical, and to the second stake at ground level. This requires not putting the stake all the way in but leaving it perhaps a inch above (except the last stake), that lever arm is needed so they work together.
    The picket fence method is shown in my 1955 Boy Scout Handbook.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++