WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tent Stakes for Zpacks Duplex

Not sure this tent is any different than any other but Duplex owners, which tent stakes did you find work the best? I know I want to go lighter now that I am getting a lighter tent. I am just not familiar with the ultra light stakes.

Images

I use two MSR Groundhogs to stake out the guy lines from the two poles. I use the Zpacks 6.5 inch TI stakes for everything else. Since the tent will essentially collapse if either pole falls, I use a beefier stake for these and save weight with the remaining stakes being the lighter but less secure TI stakes.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I use all MSR ground hogs.

I ordered the carbon fiber stakes and would not do so again. I have used the Ti stakes before and they were fine.

I do like the 2 groundhog stake idea. I may swap 2 out to do that.

I have a Duplex. I ordered MSR ground hogs off the internet. Like an idiot I ordered 8 instead of 1 as the bundle comprises of 8. As such I have about 64 stakes minus the 8 that I need. Suppose I could have a massive garage sale or swap the lot for some dirty girl gaiters that don't ship in my direction

I got some MSR stakes with my Missing Link years ago. They are .33 oz and are 6 1/4 x 3/8 x 3/8 (so square). Only marking on the stake is "MSR". All the years I've used them, I have only slightly bent 1. They appear similar to the MSR Needle Tent stakes but based upon the reviews (they say they are flimsy, bend, snap off) they must manufacture them out of lighter aluminum than the stakes that I have. Mine are plain silver in color whereas the Needles are red. Anyway, I have used them with the Duplex for about a year now with good results. If I can ever locate a store that actually carries them, I would like to compare old to new.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I don't own a Duplex but can offer as a ULer I don't any longer choose any stake based on wt alone as IMHO that is a stupid light approach that I learned the hard way by being stupid light. I have probably 6-7 different stake sets prioritized on individual ground conditions and holding needed on individual shelters. SteelCut has the same idea.

As some others do, I use Ground Hogs for the ridge line. I use Ti shepherd hooks for the rest, the best IMHO being the ones from Lawson Outdoor Equipment.

Easy enough in most areas to back up any stake with a rock.

Journal Entries
    Images

I also have the carbon fiber stakes and would not do it again. Snapped one under pretty benign circumstances. Great thread...looking for replacements now...
    Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    I ordered the carbon fiber stakes and would not do so again. I have used the Ti stakes before and they were fine.

I do like the 2 groundhog stake idea. I may swap 2 out to do that.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

The titanium stakes that ZPACKS sells worked fine with the Duplex. I cannot remember a single night that the wind lifted a stake out. I can remember a few times where being able to firmly plant a stake took a couple tries and a little effort.

I used the j-stakes that Big Agnes uses. They were awesome. Slightly heavier than the ti ones but they don't bend or break.

Images

I have these titanium stakes I got from Amazon, which I use on the four corners and the head and foot tie outs. I use beefier MSR stakes for the main guy lines on the sides, which get a lot of stress.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thinking about ordering these
    https://www.amazon.com/MSR-Groundhog...oundhog+stakes

They are a seven inch version. Was going to leave 2 at 7 inches and trim the other 4 down to 5-6 inches.

What you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone1984 View Post
    Thinking about ordering these
    https://www.amazon.com/MSR-Groundhog...oundhog+stakes

They are a seven inch version. Was going to leave 2 at 7 inches and trim the other 4 down to 5-6 inches.

What you guys think?
    Just buy a few of the mini ground hog stakes
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I've found that through much experimentation I prefer the Y stakes, of almost any light variety. I just bought some MSR groundhogs (full-size) to try with my Duplex and my hammock tarp.

I have been pretty happy with the 6.5" titanium V stakes from Zpacks. My biggest problem has been with keeping the stakes that hold the poles and doors, in place. Because these hold a lot of pressure, they tend to pull up or out, if the ground is soft. I was bored today and since the ground was soft from recent rains, I spent about an hour and a half playing with different stake combinations, to find an advantage. This was my favorite as it seemed darn strong and offered unlimited placement options. I basically ran a 7" piece of Zpacks line between 2 of the aforementioned stakes and slid it through the loop at the end of the structural line. The two stakes can be placed nearly anywhere as the system is self-centering.

If this doesn't work in application, I'll be surprised and will try a single Groundhog stake in each side instead. The minis not have enough bite for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post
    I have been pretty happy with the 6.5" titanium V stakes from Zpacks. My biggest problem has been with keeping the stakes that hold the poles and doors, in place. Because these hold a lot of pressure, they tend to pull up or out, if the ground is soft. I was bored today and since the ground was soft from recent rains, I spent about an hour and a half playing with different stake combinations, to find an advantage. This was my favorite as it seemed darn strong and offered unlimited placement options. I basically ran a 7" piece of Zpacks line between 2 of the aforementioned stakes and slid it through the loop at the end of the structural line. The two stakes can be placed nearly anywhere as the system is self-centering.

If this doesn't work in application, I'll be surprised and will try a single Groundhog stake in each side instead. The minis not have enough bite for me.
    Great idea, thanks.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post

There is another way which we use in rope rescue (low angle), called a picket fence which is sometimes useful here as well. Your method introduces extra 'inward' forces, much like hammocks do on trees. However your method adds stability and resists sideways forces including tripping over the guyline.

For the picket fence, the tent is staked to the primary stake like normal, then that primary stake is staked further back but in line with the first guy line. This can continue out as many times as you need.

Also the tent guyline is attached to the first stake at ground level, while the second guyline attaches to the first steak as high as practical, and to the second stake at ground level. This requires not putting the stake all the way in but leaving it perhaps a inch above (except the last stake), that lever arm is needed so they work together.

I tried the picket fence method with two stakes and found that the first / nearest stake lifted out of the ground.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've tried the MSR Min-Groundhog and found them to have plenty of holding power for my use.

The thing I've disliked about them is that the soil I'm usually using is very moist (GSMNP) and I find myself cleaning dirt/mud out of three sets of crevices.

I much prefer the J-Stake that come with many BA UL Tents. Because they are V shaped, (so I'm not sure why they are called J-stakes) there is only one crevice to clean after pulling them up out of the ground.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++