WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarptent Motrail vs Saddle 2

I am trying to decide between two Tarptents. I just got the Bowfin 1 for solo trips with my dog. I like the tent, but it will not work for what I need. It is too narrow inside for both of us. The Bowfin 2 is starting to tip over into too heavy for solo trips. I liked the ability to set a tent up in the rain without the interior getting wet.

This has lead me to look at the Motrail and the Saddle 2. The first is technically a double wall but is one piece and has a front entry. It is a simplistic setup/breakdown.

The Saddle 2 is only 2" narrower than the Motrail and weighs about the same. However, the inner tent is separate. This allows two different types of inner tents (all mesh too and partial mesh top for colder/windier weather. It is also able to be used as just a tarp shelter or just the inner tent separately. It has two side entrances. The setup looks more complicated though.
    Either tent would be big enough for my dog and I or trips for my boyfriend and I without the dog (like a possible AT section hike next year).

I'm leaning towards the Saddle2 for the side doors/ 2 vestibules. Is there something I'm not considering that would make the choice obvious?
    Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StratoSpire 1.
    How big is the dog?
    The SS 1 is a real double wall tent. Either component can be used independently. Mesh or solid inner tent. 2 huge doors and vestibules.
    The inner can be set up in two positions, either 30" or 40" wide. The long side walls are vertical for extra interior space. The seams can be sealed by you in under an hour.
    The Motrail is a single wall tent.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Forget that I was here.
    If the Bowfin 1 is too small, go straight to the StratoSpire 2. Room for 3 standard sleeping pads.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Saddle 2 requires 4 poles. Fiddle factor for set up looks odd.
    I went through all of this for a long time, years, and bought the StratoSpire 1 in the spring. I'm pleased and there's a ton of room in it.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Forget that I was here.
    If the Bowfin 1 is too small, go straight to the StratoSpire 2. Room for 3 standard sleeping pads.
    Wayne

You make a great point on the SS2, but I was trying to stay lighter for when I go solo with the dog and want to carry less weight. The SS 2 is around 3 pounds. We have a Nemo dagger 3 for when we both want to go backpacking with the dog so I only need a 2 person that is light enough to use as a solo tent but still makes sense for a couple to use on a LASH without a dog.

The dog is part greyhound, so tall/leggy.

Sorry. Good luck.
    Weight isn't the #1 criteria in my purchases. Especially tents.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Sorry. Good luck.
    Weight isn't the #1 criteria in my purchases. Especially tents.
    Wayne

Thank you for the thoughtful input, Wayne. I do value it, especially for a tent that I may not have considered otherwise. I am only 5'0", so I do have to factor weight into my decision...sadly.

Having the predecessor to the Motrail, the Squall 2, I would go with the Saddle. I've been using a borrowed Notch for my last couple outings, and the side entry and dual doors/ vestibules, not to mention the double wall construction make it a much better choice to me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ok...I just watched the video for the saddle set up, and ... Watch the videos for all of them before making a decision.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I have watched the video for the Saddle 2. It looks a little more complicated than the Motrail. I'm sure that lessens with practice. The 2 doors/vestibules are a definite bonus if there are 2 people. I'm not sure if I will use it with 2 people enough to times to have that solely be the deciding factor though. I just wish there were more reviews out there. They are both relatively new

Two doors on opposite sides of the tent are a HUGE benefit.
    Example: Set up the tent in perfect weather. The weather changes. The wind is blowing rain into one door. Use the other door.
    Are you comfortable with a single wall tent? Have you looked at the Double Rainbow? Weight wise, the Double Rainbow & my SS1 with the solid inner tent are equal.
    If you use the tent for 2 people, where does the dog sleep? If the dog can sleep in a vestibule, your choices multiply.
    Wayne

This dog knows where to go :

++ New Posts ++