WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hoka Speedgoat or Altra Lone Peaks?

I currently own a pair of Lone Peak 3.0s, and love the toebox, but I'd like some more cushion. Can anyone who's tried both comment on the differences? Or a general comment about the fitting of Hokas?

Not directly answering your question but the cushioning aspect is what I wanted more in the LP 3.0's too. Opinions vary in what one wants in a trail runner crossover backpacking shoe but I like cush too and got it in the Olympus. What's more after more than 500 trail miles and who knows how many miles wearing off trail they still haven't "sandwiched." You might look into after market cushy footbed and wearing cushier socks with the LP's which is something I'll do for adding cush to shoes I otherwise like. No experience with the Hoka Speedgoat but have worn a few Hoka models on and off trail and run in Hokas. Hokas have a different footbox shape a narrower feel than the Altras but there are other differences as well especially when comparing unlike cush models. As a 205 lb off again on again runner/UL hiker I'm finding the cush lasting longer in the high cush Altra models compared to the high cush Hoka models which is a lot for me to say since I've been a Hoka fan/user for longer time than an Altra user.

Images

I've been running in Hokas and have had extremely good luck with them, but have been hesitant to try them out as hikers. It would seem that the raised sole might provide a bit different "ride" on stones, rocks, roots, etc. and I've been worried it might lead to increased tripping and stumbling. And I don't need any more help with tripping! Let us know how you make out.

++ New Posts ++