WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Use Esbit and instantly cut your fuel weight by 50%.

Twig fire between a couple of rocks and cut fuel weight by 100%.

Attachment 39784
    I've found that these things have a shelf life. I was given some by a friend. Neither knew how old they were, but they barely burned and put out very little heat.

I've found that soaking spaghetti or other pasta for an hour and then just binging to a boil works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Yes. But there's a high possibility that it was a measuring error.
    Must a been sportin those shades looking through ya brows.

Images

Traffic Jam. as long as you are using the 10cm Imusa Mug(2 cups) you might be able to keep the stove rim from getting bent up. I say might The rim is fragile, am I correct?
    The more you use it, the more fragile it gets. Something to watch out for. Does your stove with pot support look like this:

cap hoop.JPG

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

if you don't "need" a hot meal...which is not a need...it's all about hydration. empty pb jar. put in pasta/ramen/instant mashed potatoes/couscous/whatever. add water. ~3 hrs, you're money.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    if you don't "need" a hot meal...which is not a need...it's all about hydration. empty pb jar. put in pasta/ramen/instant mashed potatoes/couscous/whatever. add water. ~3 hrs, you're money.
    which also means no stove, no fuel.

REALLY wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    REALLY wrong thread.

Yep, see thread title.

I'm all-in UL but I still like my hot coffee and muesli in the morning and a hot dinner. Stove kit and cup weigh 3.7 oz. Fuel for 5 days weighs 3 oz. I think I'll keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Traffic Jam. as long as you are using the 10cm Imusa Mug(2 cups) you might be able to keep the stove rim from getting bent up. I say might The rim is fragile, am I correct?
    The more you use it, the more fragile it gets. Something to watch out for. Does your stove with pot support look like this:

cap hoop.JPG
    Yes, that's it.

IMG_6468.JPG

IMG_6470.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 07-08-2017 at 15:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Can anyone discuss efficiency of alchy stove fuel types that are readily available in N. AMERICA compared to yellow HEET to possibly save fuel wt?
    Again, I'm no expert, but my understating is methanol (yellow heel) is the best choice for colder temps and ethanol for warmer temps.

I don't think anyone mentioned keeping your fuel and stove warm in cold weather to increase efficiency. Sleep with your fuel and warm your stove in your hands, pocket, etc. before using.

Journal Entries
    Images

Only heat water to near boiling and heat the minimum amount of water needed for the meal.

Seeking less commonly discussed techniques. This is in the UL Forum for fuel wt saving reasons.
    I'll:
    1) Obtain water that is warmer. What? Don't take icy water for heating cooking water. Consider taking water from south facing sources. In summer this isn't as great a deal. Not hard measuring water temp with a cheap trail thermometer
    that's included in something like a ABC watch
    2) Pre warm water inside pack or on outside pack pocket with gear, clothing insulating it
    3) Pre soak meals
    4) Opt for food that cooks faster. Opt for pepe, ditalini, pastina capellini over large shells, rigatoni, penne, linguini etc. Opt for ready to eat jerky rather than cooking a thick raw beef teak with a large bone.
    5) Pre cook and dehydrate longer cooking needed foods like quinoa although quinoa can also be pre soaked to cut cook time.
    6) Mix in no cook meals into a trip or segment. Some meals can be eaten hot or cold or eaten at a tepid temp. Particularly, during warnmer treks don't always eat a heated B-fast. More and more under hot hikes I go totally no cook B-fasts.
    7) Do not excessively let water boil in a rage. Heat up water some and let food soak in it to finish off cook time.
    8) Put lid on pot
    9) Pot cozy and of course use a windscreen even if made from found natural materials
    10) Carry only enough fuel based on length of fuel needed for trip or for segments between resupply. Harder for gas canisters but no need to always take an entire bottle of inexpensive HEET for a solo weekend alchy stove trip.
    11) Adjust the size of the alchy fuel container needed for your situation. Why carry 12 - 18 oz containers that is likely heavier than a 2 oz container if the 2 oz container carries enough fuel for your hikes? This is just referring to the container wt which is why for shorter trips an alchy stove can often reduce fuel wt over other type stoves like isobutane which are in 4 oz cans(just fuel) PLUS THE WT OF THE CAN.
    12) Boil water/eat HIGH! Takes less energy since lower atmospheric pressure means water boils at a lower temp. Take the lower H2O temp into account accepting you'll be eating food at a lower temp. In other words, maybe opt for foods that don't require a high sustained temp(long simmer) to cook. Boil and let soak in the heated water.
    13) Consider mixing in cooking with found fuel with carried fuel ie; warm water over a small very contained warming/cooking fire
    14) Don't make cooking meals so complex that it requires extensive cooking times.

What do you have to save fuel wt?
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

I use an eCHS. For a snuffer, I cut the bottom off a small pop can, one that is just slightly larger in diameter than the stove. Cut it slightly taller than the stove. I put a tab of aluminum tape on the top as,a handle for lowering over the stove. The snuffer then becomes the storage container for the stove. Have not had a problem with the stove becoming fragile. I use an aluminum flashing cylinder as a pot stand/wind screen combo. With an Olicamp XTS pot, the heat goes through to exchangers with the solid pot support.

I see I'm not the only one capable of being anal and complex. My friends just politely tell me I can be deep....with a wry grin. We all get along though. Thx everyone. Maybe more than i have some new gram wee ie fuel saving "complexities" to consider? Take it away Zelph,Cmoulder, TJ.....

Images

Dogwood, what, if anything, would you add to your list of things you would do to save cooking fuel weight?

Once, someone tired to yogi my fuel. I guess that's one way to save weight.

Unfortunately for them, it didn't work...but that's another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Dogwood, what, if anything, would you add to your list of things you would do to save cooking fuel weight?
    You have to write your own book. You know more about alchy stoves and prolly backpacking stove use in general in your Pinkie as I know in my whole body. I take it as a great compliment that you ask though.

Again, I'm no expert, but my understating is methanol (yellow heel) is the best choice for colder temps and ethanol for warmer temps.

I don't think anyone mentioned keeping your fuel and stove warm in cold weather to increase efficiency. Sleep with your fuel and warm your stove in your hands, pocket, etc. before using.

TJ gave us some food for thought. I hadn't known or thought about any of these pts. Don't know how much warming alchy stove fuel up or warming a Ti cook pot will save fuel wt though? it's something to consider though certainly applicable to what was being asked in the thread.

Once, someone tired to yogi my fuel. I guess that's one way to save weight.
    Unfortunately for them, it didn't work...but that's another thread.
    I hope they had something else to eat at least.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I hope they had something else to eat at least.
    Yep. They cooked a hot meal. And saw that hiker the next day in a store where I pointed out the fuel...which they didn't purchase.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 07-09-2017 at 18:01.

TJ gave us some food for thought. I hadn't known or thought about any of these pts. Don't know how much warming alchy stove fuel up or warming a Ti cook pot will save fuel wt though? it's something to consider though certainly applicable to what was being asked in the thread.
    Cold stove/fuel ===> inefficient cooking system ===> increased fuel use ===> carrying more fuel.

Images

Cold stove/fuel ===> inefficient cooking system ===> increased fuel use ===> carrying more fuel.
    Not true in my opinion.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++