WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I use a caldera cone and carry minimal alchy. I use twigs to boil water. In the SE/Mid-Atl, no shortage of this zero-weight fuel.

Thx Martin. You're going for a mixed fuel approach carrying some finding some. This offsets other cook wt considerations.

Yep, I know you can use any canister with JetBoil and I use whatever was available. PA along the trail was completely out of all brands of small canisters last year. There were none to be found and the large ones sold out later on.

Dogwood, have you looked into the crotch pot by gossamer gear?

Seriously though, lately I've been trying to use warm water that I've been carrying and not stream to pot. Also keeping canister stove at half throttle to avoid heat lost up the sides of pot, possibly switching back to wider pot. If making a hot drink only heating until warm enough to enjoy. Besides boil in bag meals I also make instant polenta and add Romano cheese, olive oil, sundried tomatoes, etc.

I typically carry one small canister for up to 8 days. Wondering if large canisters are lighter than two small ones (empty canister weight) when hiking more days or with your bff.

If resupplying on trail possibly carrying an alchy stove as back up if using a canister stove or switching to twig fires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being anal about this yes I admit. Have you ever witnessed the analness(don't know if that's a word) of some Stovies, hammockers, quilt users, those willing to spend $$$/oz(maybe even grams) on SUL gear, pushing take the kitchen sink kits(one notorious one here on WB at least!), etc?

"Wondering if large canisters are lighter than two small ones (empty canister weight) when hiking more days or with your bff." This question has already been answered here on WB and in at least one BPL thread. Empty 4 and 8 oz gas canister wts differ slightly depending on manufacturer but to answer your question by far an empty 8 oz can weighs much less than two empty 4 oz cans. Empty Jet Boil 100 gram(fuel) can weigh 94 grams and 230 gram(fuel) can weighs 126 grams. NOTE: Jet Boil iso blend cans contain slightly less fuel than a true 4 oz(fuel can).

Off topic but like your instant polenta rec.

There's a reason 'analysis' begins with 'anal'.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    There's a reason 'analysis' begins with 'anal'.
    Bravo!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Apply a "reversable" temperature recording strip to lid of pot and heat water to no more than 180 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Seeking less commonly discussed techniques. This is in the UL Forum for fuel wt saving reasons.
    I'll:
    1) Obtain water that is warmer. What? Don't take icy water for heating cooking water. Consider taking water from south facing sources. In summer this isn't as great a deal. Not hard measuring water temp with a cheap trail thermometer
    that's included in something like a ABC watch
    2) Pre warm water inside pack or on outside pack pocket with gear, clothing insulating it
    3) Pre soak meals
    4) Opt for food that cooks faster. Opt for pepe, ditalini, pastina capellini over large shells, rigatoni, penne, linguini etc. Opt for ready to eat jerky rather than cooking a thick raw beef teak with a large bone.
    5) Pre cook and dehydrate longer cooking needed foods like quinoa although quinoa can also be pre soaked to cut cook time.
    6) Mix in no cook meals into a trip or segment. Some meals can be eaten hot or cold or eaten at a tepid temp. Particularly, during warnmer treks don't always eat a heated B-fast. More and more under hot hikes I go totally no cook B-fasts.
    7) Do not excessively let water boil in a rage. Heat up water some and let food soak in it to finish off cook time.
    8) Put lid on pot
    9) Pot cozy and of course use a windscreen even if made from found natural materials
    10) Carry only enough fuel based on length of fuel needed for trip or for segments between resupply. Harder for gas canisters but no need to always take an entire bottle of inexpensive HEET for a solo weekend alchy stove trip.
    11) Adjust the size of the alchy fuel container needed for your situation. Why carry 12 - 18 oz containers that is likely heavier than a 2 oz container if the 2 oz container carries enough fuel for your hikes? This is just referring to the container wt which is why for shorter trips an alchy stove can often reduce fuel wt over other type stoves like isobutane which are in 4 oz cans(just fuel) PLUS THE WT OF THE CAN.
    12) Boil water/eat HIGH! Takes less energy since lower atmospheric pressure means water boils at a lower temp. Take the lower H2O temp into account accepting you'll be eating food at a lower temp. In other words, maybe opt for foods that don't require a high sustained temp(long simmer) to cook. Boil and let soak in the heated water.
    13) Consider mixing in cooking with found fuel with carried fuel ie; warm water over a small very contained warming/cooking fire
    14) Don't make cooking meals so complex that it requires extensive cooking times.

What do you have to save fuel wt?
    3,4,5,7,8,9,10,11,13,14. I also have a wood stove but don't always use it. Depends on the conditions of the trip.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Apply a "reversable" temperature recording strip to lid of pot and heat water to no more than 180 degrees.
    Explain Zelph. Didn't know about this. This is some more of what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    3,4,5,7,8,9,10,11,13,14. I also have a wood stove but don't always use it. Depends on the conditions of the trip.
    THX BIG G. You brought up a good pt that I've ben trying to get through on this thread " Depends on the conditions of the trip."

THX BIG G. You brought up a good pt that I've ben trying to get through on this thread " Depends on the conditions of the trip."
    Yes. For me, it's related to my level of perceived risk and skill level in certain conditions. It requires an honest assessment of skills and self-awareness of capabilities.

That is a lesson I learned the first time packing an alchy stove in cold, rainy weather. I was on the brink of hypothermia and couldn't light the stove.

Explain Zelph. Didn't know about this. This is some more of what I was looking for.
    I believe some of the jetboils have this indicator built in.

adhesive strip thermometer

Of course you'd have to attach it to the pot lid (flames on pot side would be problematic!) and then calibrate with a kitchen thermometer to account for heat loss on the lid.

Edit link: one with appropriate temperature range

Last edited by cmoulder; 07-06-2017 at 10:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Yes. For me, it's related to my level of perceived risk and skill level in certain conditions. It requires an honest assessment of skills and self-awareness of capabilities.

That is a lesson I learned the first time packing an alchy stove in cold, rainy weather. I was on the brink of hypothermia and couldn't light the stove.
    Ahh so you are on the path to great awareness young Jedi. Wiser than your selfie appears.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post

What kind of alky stove?

If you're using a stove with a reservoir in the center, such as Fancee Feest or 12-10, it is easy to light with a ferrocerium rod (aka firesteel) even with wet, cold, fumbly hands. However, I would concur that an alcohol stove is not ideal for those conditions. But in a pinch....

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    adhesive strip thermometer

Of course you'd have to attach it to the pot lid (flames on pot side would be problematic!) and then calibrate with a kitchen thermometer to account for heat loss on the lid.

Edit link: one with appropriate temperature range

Wow $2 a pop to get a temp reading and need to order a minimum of 20 at a time.

Abela gave a general list of how to identify water temp by sight. https://hikelighter.com/boiling-water/ Most times a shrimp eyes to fish eyes goal works.

Well I leave it to you to figure out the financial aspects!

Maybe hand out the extras out to friends. Everybody needs a strip thermometer, no?

Ahh so you are on the path to great awareness young Jedi. Wiser than your selfie appears.
    Things are not always as they appear.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 07-06-2017 at 12:01.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++