WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Klymit Massdrop insulated Static V pad

Massdrop has a special-to-them Klymit insulated Static V pad, which seems to be dropped 1-2 times per year. This looks close in function to a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xtherm MAX, at about 1/3 the price. I'm intrigued by Klymit's V design, which seems to get better performance from a sleeping bag by giving the bag's insulation underneath you places to expand into. From what I can gather, the Massdrop pad is like the regular insulated Static V lite except for changed colors and a move of the valve to the side where it won't poke you in the head. With a late winter start for the AT next year, getting a pad with a decent R-value seems like a good idea.

Does anyone here have experience with this pad? I'd like to know if I should plan to wait for the next drop, or look elsewhere.

The correct name is the "Static V Insulated Ultra Light", at Massdrop here. 72" x 20" x 2.5", R 4.4, 16.9 ounces.

Leonidas

I have the uninsulated ultra-light and will have it out for its first run in the next couple of weeks. 3 of us on the trip actually have them so it "should" deliver similar performance minus the insulation. I will say the regular uninsulated Klymit I used last year was great.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with this Klymit. The Therm-a-Rest pads always remind me of sleeping on a bag of potato chips: too much crinkly noise to let me get to sleep unless I'm dead tired.

I got one a couple of drops ago and found it to work well. I'm a side sleeper and was comfortable, and I got the insulated pad and it was warm enough. I have PAC inflatable pad, and a BA inflatable pad, and this one probably takes a few less breaths to fill. Emptying the air out takes a little more effort because the air has to go through a maze, but ultimately, it gets out. I'd buy it again.

++ New Posts ++