Default OR-WA Section Hike Advice

I'm looking for advice on a great 5-7 day section hike in either Oregon or Washington. Also, advice on best time of year for that area.

Much Thanks!
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankle Bone View Post
    I'm looking for advice on a great 5-7 day section hike in either Oregon or Washington. Also, advice on best time of year for that area.

Much Thanks!
    I would suggest the Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington. Start at White Pass and hike south for 5 or 7 days. Any time after August 1 is a good time, but early September is the best.

Here is my album of pictures for the Goat Rocks Wilderness --South from White Pass -- https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...FzzgFgLtKF6joM
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 06-30-2017 at 18:47.
    Shutterbug

1) Mt Hood/Timberline Lodge(the hotel in The Shining) to Cascade Locks/OR/WA border/Bridge of the Gods(the actual PCT PCTers cross to get into OR/WA!) via the Eagle Crk alternate. Do it that direction! It's only 50-55 miles or so but it has everything but the SoCal deserts - awesome ridge walk w/ many iconic OR/WA peaks(great perspective of Mt St Helens), etc for views, umpteen AWESOME waterfalls(you actually hike through a tunnel behind one on Eagle Crk, some iconic waterfall CS's on Eagle Crk and on the ride walk just before Indian Springs CG), overlooks galore, some GREAT CS's, snow tipped Mt Hood, I'd say THE most iconic PCT bridge!, Columbia River Gorge(history at the Locks)....This hike can be extended by summiting Mt Hood or circumnavigating Mt Hood on trail. And, - hear this - convenient TH access on each end! You can drive up to elevation by starting at Mt Hood leaving a car there and basically hiking DOWNHILL overall to the Gorge. Pull up Hafmile's FREE VERY WELL DONE maps to preview! Oregon Section G.

2) Jefferson Park beginning/ending at Breitenbush Hot Springs. Can be done as a loop or a pt to pt. https://www.pcta.org/wild/favorite-h...n-park-oregon/. Explore the lakes! Have bug juice at the ready as Haskel says! Mt Jefferson looms over you. Got an antsy to hit the trail ready in PCT Thru-hiker condition gung ho to do ginormous PCT Thru-Hiker type miles go from Sisters OR/Hwy 242 to Jefferson Pk ending at Breitenbush Hot Springs(private but can pay to soak). Only for the hardcore! Throwing it in as an option depending on you... Oregon I think Sect F of Halfmile's PCT maps. Did this hike a few yrs ago when I was in better thru-hiking shape in 7 LONG days stopping in Jefferson Park to fish because I missed some of the PCT miles on a previous PCT thru-hike. JF by itself is awesome though. Thought you might appreciate some lava fields, lava craters, Three Finger Jack flipping you off, Ollie/Black Buttes, and obsidian though.

3) Crater Lake NP(PLEASE take the RIM TR!!! unless you are with a horse or dog!) north past Mt Thielsen(w/ the opp to do a scramble further up for an encompassing view from/near the actual summit, you'll already be on Thielsen's west shoulder on the PCT, BRING H2O IN PREP IF CONSIDERING THIS!!!). Head out at Maidu Lake(source of the Umpqua River and the beginning of the Umpqua River Tr). Just did this last yr, hiking the entire Umpqua River Tr using the PCT as a starter beginning at Crater Lake NP right in the PCT NOBO bubble, GRRREAT!, and came back to the PCT to do a complete PCT OR section hike OR Miller Lake to Chemult. If you come out on the crest to the Umpqua River and have a vehicle check out the Umpqua Hot Springs soaking pool(s) and the Umpqua River especially at Toketee with a rather unusual waterfall. https://www.google.com/search?q=umpq...=1498875932220 This river is a fantastic float as well into the nearby town of Roseburg OR.

Don't want to overwhelm so first look at these. THEN, AFTER I'll give you some in WA to add to Shutterbug's great Goat Rocks Wilderness rec. Just as a WA teaser I like combining PCT hikes with other trails in N. Cascades NP to Lake Ross on the PNWT OR involving hiking into Stehekin taking the boat out from there onto Lake Chelan into the town of Chelan, a finishing way to end(or begin?) a PCT hike!!, OR combining the PCT with more iconic Mt Rainier trails like the Wonderland Tr!

Begin by looking at Halfmile's maps. https://www.pctmap.net/maps/

..on the ridge walk before Indian Spgs

Thanks. I think Dogwood's Option 1 is my preference. Is Aug-Sept the best time for this section?

I plan on a SOBO PCT section in OR starting 8/22. Maybe we'll meet.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I plan on a SOBO PCT section in OR starting 8/22. Maybe we'll meet.
    That would be great, but I'm probably a 2018 for this one. Enjoy your hike!

Quote Originally Posted by Ankle Bone View Post
    Thanks. I think Dogwood's Option 1 is my preference. Is Aug-Sept the best time for this section?
    If you want to add some spectacular hiking to that option, take the Timberline Trail around Mt Hood before you head north to Cascade Locks. The PCT just skirts around the SW of the mountain. The other 3/4 of the Timberline Trail that is not along the PCT is frankly, the best part of the 42ish mile loop.

As for Aug-Sept being best, well, that depends on what you mean by best. Bugs are minimal after July. Wildflowers are mostly gone by then. Most of the snow fields on the Timberline Trail are likely to be melted out by the end of July. . . although, I'd expect there may still be some this year. You could still take your skis and ski the Palmer Glacier through Aug and Sept. . . groomed with lift access all summer every year.

Have fun!!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Thanks all. The close proximity to Portland and the easy TH's make this a great option.

I love Snoqualmie pass to Stevens pass. Both ends easily accessed from Seattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++