WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I feel free driving across the U.S. despite needing auto insurance, registration, and a DL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Bad analogy.
    No, it's really not a bad analogy, Tipi. You're taking state reciprocity of accepting drivers' licenses for granted, but that's not federally mandated. (If it were an Article IV, Section I Constitution issue -- i.e the "Full Faith and Credit" bit", the states would also have to accept concealed weapons licenses from all other states as well.) There's something called the "Driver License Compact" which most states have joined. Mostly it's a matter of states wanting to avoid the hassle of having to certify all drivers and vehicles which enter their roads.

States could set up test stations for vehicles and drivers entering their borders, just as they set up truck weigh stations. My California-bought car has only had smog checks, not the safety checks required for a vehicle to be registered in Maine. Right now I could drive my car to Maine and operate it without having to prove it's safe (by Maine standards) to operate. Doesn't mean that situation, as a matter of law, will continue.

Gotcha Rick. See your pt in that example.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Baxter is a wildlife preserve that has always operated as a limited access property.
    Certainly there is a great deal of truth to what you say, but the park is much more than just a wildlife preserve.

Jensen Bisselll (now the park director) knows that.

Years ago he moved some of his scientific forestry management operation closer to the Tote Road (over the strenuous objection of Buzz Caverly) in large measure to inform and educate the public and further best practices in forestry. That was (and remains) part of the park's mission, right?

Baxter himself knew that is park was meant for people to use "to the fullest extent" when he wrote:

"I do not intend that the Park forever shall be a region unvisited and neglected by man. I seek to provide against commercial exploitation, against hunting, trapping and killing, against lumbering, hotels, advertising, hot-dog stands, motor vehicles, horse-drawn vehicles and other vehicles, air-craft, and the trappings of unpleasant civilization."....
    "I want it made available to persons of moderate means who with their boys and girls, with their packs of bedding and food, can tramp through the woods, cook a steak and make flapjacks by the lakes and brooks. Every section of this area is beautiful each in its own way. I do not want it locked up and made inaccessible;I want it used to the fullest extent but in the right unspoiled way."

The 1000+ people traveling the Tote Road on their snow machines each week during the winter know that it's not just a preserve -- as do those wildlife managers who acquiesce to this significant wildlife stresser. I do wonder what Baxter would have though about this accommodation, however. What do you think?

The generations of families that return to traditional camps each summer within the park to share ponds with nesting loons know that. I think these places are fantastic, however. Don't you?

Not saying your sentiments are not important, TJ. You know how special and unique Baxter SP is -- just suggesting that Thru Hiker use within the park should be put in context.

If there is a untenable conflict between the park and the AT right now, I would suggest that it is more with the personalities and culture -- than with the wildlife you rightfully point out is so important.

Last edited by rickb; 06-30-2017 at 06:27.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++