WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Which year to start

I am new here on Whiteblaze. I am planing to Thru Hike the AT when I graduate college (May 2029). If I start the AT at Springer on May 22 of 2019 would I have enough time to make it to Katadin in 4 months and 3ish weeks? Or would it be better for me to do it in the following year 2020?

I meant to say 2020 not 2029

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

No matter, do what you can, when you can. You may not be alive in 2020.

It's possible to thru hike the AT in 4 and 3/4 months. Some have done it a heck of a lot quicker. But can you? Nobody can answer that.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Hiker4Jesus,

Do you really have that much time between semesters? Typically you might have 3 1/2 months at most over the summer which would be a speed reserved only for elite athletes (IMHO). Besides, why rush it? It depends on your reasons for hiking, but I'm guessing you want to enjoy the sights and take some time along the way.

Of course, waiting till after you graduate is problematic too. A long gap after graduation can make it difficult to land a job in your field of study, most companies hiring new graduates will be looking for them to start right after graduation.

Might I suggest you consider a Long Ass Section Hike (LASH) starting this or next summer? Just go ahead and start and see how far it takes you. Perhaps whatever part you don't get to you can finish up the following year. While the idea of a thru-hike is alluring, you can have just as much fun (and maybe more) as a section hiker.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    ...Might I suggest you consider a Long Ass Section Hike (LASH) starting this or next summer? Just go ahead and start and see how far it takes you. Perhaps whatever part you don't get to you can finish up the following year. While the idea of a thru-hike is alluring, you can have just as much fun (and maybe more) as a section hiker.
    ^This is a good suggestion. Put in a few (or several) weeks each summer, and when you get to 2020, you can finish up without being in such a rush that you can't enjoy the adventure.

If you're out of school right now, get on the trail this weekend. There's plenty of time to grab some gear. It's only Wednesday!

Default Which year to start

if I was to Thru Hike in 2020 I would have to drop a job in 2019 and hope I have a job when I return.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

what's more important....jobs...or hikes...or maybe jesus? but what about buddha?

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker4Jesus View Post
    if I was to Thru Hike in 2020 I would have to drop a job in 2019 and hope I have a job when I return.
    also, subjunctive tense :

"if i ~~WERE~~ to Thru Hike in 2020...."

Journal Entries

Only you can answer that question. You never said what previous backpacking/hiking experience you have. If this is going to be your first outing, I suggest renting equipment and getting out for just a few days to see how much the idea of living with just what you are carrying. Sure saves major money in the long run. You also never mentioned your financial situation, as the AT can be expensive. I would really hate for you to get out for a few months and run short of cash and having to stop. Just remember the Trail will always be there waiting for you. Best of luck to you.
    Blackheart

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    also, subjunctive tense :

"if i ~~WERE~~ to Thru Hike in 2020...."
    Another English teacher's kid. They're everywhere!

Images

Springer on 5/22 maximizes bad weather. Why not flip? Start at Harpers Ferry nobo. After Katahdin, flip back and hike to Springer. You are still allowed to finish in 4 + month, i.e. end of September.

Logistically, you might find Delaware Water Gap a better starting place, via bus from NYC to Stroudsburg Station.

If you have time to hike into Fall, wait a month and start at Katahdin on 6/22. (Early June starts can be wet.)

++ New Posts ++