WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Titanium Pots

Default Titanium Pots

Ok i hear so much about Titanium pos that i got one the the toaks 900ml and i notice it made the food taste odd cook nothing special just some beef stew have you guy had any thing like that happen to you
    Titanium

I have the MSR titanium kettle (.85 liter) and notice when I wipe the clean pot out with a paper towel I see a silver/gray residue on the paper---probably carcinogenic?? And I'm not sure my pot is 100% titanium or just titanium-coated aluminum????

I've never had an odd taste develop from Snow Peak Mini Solo 100% Ti cook pot. I bet it's something else not the Ti.

I got toaks because of all the good reviews on it it said one the best on the marker got almost stars

I noticed recently when I got a new Toaks 550ml ultralight pot and did some test boils that there was a slight, oil-like sheen in the water for the first couple of boils.

I guess (I don't know) that it was some sort of machine oil used in the manufacturing process.

After those first couple of boils it was all gone. Maybe that was what you experienced. Never imparted a funny taste to foods.

Journal Entries

I never noticed any taste or floating residue from any of my Snowpeak pots. But I am wandering if some pots would work better if you seasoned them like you do for new cast iron skillet.
    Blackheart

Lubrication is typically used to draw/form metal. It's more likely to be manufacturing residue than any kind of titanium residue initially. After that, it's more likely to be mineral residue from the water being burned off.

Images

I've never had an issue with my snow peak pot. I washed it in the dishwater when I first got it. I let some cocoa get to hot and burn on the side and wound up cleaning it with 440 grit sandpaper. Titanium is not non stick! I haven't seen any metal flakes or anything in food. I mainly use mine for water boiling. It's been mistreated and abused and it's discolored, blue or even brown in spots. Still going strong.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Lubrication is typically used to draw/form metal. It's more likely to be manufacturing residue than any kind of titanium residue initially. After that, it's more likely to be mineral residue from the water being burned off.
    That or my neglected burnt on Louisiana Rice and Beans. Shart, I still ate it scraping the pot as much as I could.Happy to do so after that day.

Just like washing a new shirt before you ware it......the new fry pan needs to be cleaned to start. The iron dutch oven needs to be seasoned before use..... Every time I have got an new car I have changed the oil with in the first 2 to three days after I got it.....
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

One of the advantages of titanium is that it is non-reactive. It doesn't pick up flavors from cooking and transfer them to other meals like aluminum does.

Any piece of cookware that I purchase is washed in soap and water then filled with water up past any rivets if it has them and brought to a rolling boil for 10 minutes or so. Excluding cast iron of course. During this first boil you will sometimes notice an oily residue which I believe is from the manufacturing process and is oil that likely made its way into the pores of the metal. I then wash again with soap and water. Repeat the process again if you think necessary.
    Any residue that you find after this point is likely due to minerals in the water.

However, I do find that eating and drinking out of metal containers does sometimes affect taste. For example I have a double walled stainless mug at home that seems to affect the taste of my coffee, so instead I use my ceramic mug which has no affect on taste. The stainless mug however does not affect the taste of my beer.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I noticed recently when I got a new Toaks 550ml ultralight pot and did some test boils that there was a slight, oil-like sheen in the water for the first couple of boils.

I guess (I don't know) that it was some sort of machine oil used in the manufacturing process.

After those first couple of boils it was all gone. Maybe that was what you experienced. Never imparted a funny taste to foods.
    I think this is a likely explanation. Titanium alloys are pretty inert and should not shed molecules into food. I've used a large variety of Ti pots over many years and never had an issue with off taste or similar concerns. When Tipi wipes his out and sees something on a paper towel, I assume this is food residue, not titanium residue. Just MHO.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Ti is not my choice for cooking . But it shouldn't effect the taste of food .

thom

Images

I suspect the process of putting the "finish" on the surface is what causes the oily residue. My guess is they sand blast it or chemically etch it.......and then again it might be a heat treating process. Good research project :-)

++ New Posts ++