WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

PS... I've done CPR. It isn't like TV.

CPR might be good on a kid or young person who has drown.

CPR on older people... ugh. Not good. I think that I'm getting to the age... if I have a heart attack... I don't want CPR, thank you.

But most people will never need to do it and the training is good.

Broken ribs hurt

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Broken ribs hurt
    Yes they do hurt, as does a cracked sternum.
    Blackheart

I think the best thing you could have in your first aid kit if you're backpacking the Appalachians is an empty place in your pack where YOU LEFT YOUR KNIFE AND HATCHET AT HOME. Most serious injuries on the trail are due to these two "tools" more than anything else.

Falls and slips account for broken bones on occasion, or broken toes and fingers. Stumpknocker I believe broke his arm coming down an icy trail years ago. A broken bone would require a trip-ending extraction. Set it yourself and walk crippled for the rest of your life??

Hornets always stir up alot of fun on the trail---and if you're allergic bring an epi-pen etc. Benadryl.

Rattlesnakes are best seen and not seen too late.

Falling trees (common in the Southeast) and heavy limbs will also ruin a trip, not to mention a nice tent. What's the best first aid for a 6,000 lb tree trunk on your chest?

Infections like boils or tick bites can suck.

I bring some fancy crown glue gotten from my DDS and when mixed together will replace your tooth crown in an emergency. Important info. A toothache on a trip can really suck but can be endured for a couple weeks until you get out unless you want to try the old Indian trick of a sharp stick against the base of the tooth and a rock.

My kit is minimal (yippee, I'm an Ultralighter in this regard) and so there's this stuff---
    ** Vit E oil for sores, cuts, raw nose.
    ** Bandaids of course.
    ** DDS pain meds for severe pains. (5 years old and probably useless).
    ** A small tube of eye sty cream---Errant bugs always seem to enter the eyeball at the worst time and stay lodged in for 3 days---sty cream really alleviates the irritation.
    ** Lip balm is very good to help when things go very south. Just having it around seems to placate the distressed heart. Smear some on your lips and you'll feel better.
    ** A colorful vocabulary of curse words is very useful for most emergency events, especially yellow jacket swarms and stings.

Journal Entries

I still wonder why some people hike with a set of earbuds jammed in their ears. It takes away the great sounds of nature itself, but also the warning sounds of trees falling, hornets buzzing around, rattlesnakes sunning themselves on the trail and bear stomping through the woods. I am already hard of hearing and wear aides to boost the noise level. You can d*nm sure bet that there are sounds I really want to hear before something happens.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I still wonder why some people hike with a set of earbuds jammed in their ears. It takes away the great sounds of nature itself, but also the warning sounds of trees falling, hornets buzzing around, rattlesnakes sunning themselves on the trail and bear stomping through the woods. I am already hard of hearing and wear aides to boost the noise level. You can d*nm sure bet that there are sounds I really want to hear before something happens.
    I have a small sangean radio with headphones and worn on occasion especially on long roadwalks but NEVER on rattlesnake-strewn trails. Winter is okay, otherwise . . .

I used to carry suture but decided that hikers are too nasty and if the wound didn't kill 'em, the infection will.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I have a small sangean radio with headphones and worn on occasion especially on long roadwalks but NEVER on rattlesnake-strewn trails. Winter is okay, otherwise . . .
    Road walking would be when I would want to hear the most. Stupid drivers scare the H**L out of me.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I used to carry suture but decided that hikers are too nasty and if the wound didn't kill 'em, the infection will.
    I have a small suture kit as well, but don't carry it. Sewing kit works just as well. If you carry a small bottle of 190 proof grain alcohol, pour some over the wound. It will kill just about anything. Besides hearing the person scream, it helps study your hands to do the clean up. If you are really nice you can give some to the other person. to kill his pain.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Duct tape fixes everything.
    My husband, who adamantly refuses to seek medical attention for most things, came to show me the hole he had accidentally drilled in his palm. The first words out of his mouth were "I am not going to the ER."

A little super-glue and some duct tape and he was all back together. It healed well without even a scar.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Good tips. If someone has a bee allergy, an EpiPen can save a life.

Two points I could make that have helped me: 1. take a wilderness first aid class every few years (REI has them) and 2. personalize your kit for your needs (such as an EpiPen if needed in your kit). Keep kit small, and useful. No need for a military style IFAK to carry with you. All good, great discussion.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++