WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

ZP, AT UL, etc

A surprisingly well equipped 28 liter pack, relatively light at 23 ounces and under $100. From Kelty of all people.
    https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...=3816_aee82705
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I'm having link problems.
    The pack is the Kelty Roll Top Ruckus 28 Pack.
    Hopefully this link to Moosejaw works.
    https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...8_10000001_-1_
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Last try. Review at Section Hiker.
    https://sectionhiker.com/kelty-rucku...ckpack-review/
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Wayne, I found all three of your links.........wait for it............wait for it..........Work just fine!
    Blackheart

I'm sorry. The first two wouldn't work for me.
    It's a cool pack at a decent price. If it fits.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    yep, I like the Burn also, but it's a bit larger than requested by the OP. I don't have one but have a friend who uses it... I could definitely live with it. I have a Zpacks Zero about the same size as the Burn and I really like it. No longer available but its replacement, the Nero, is a good looking pack although I don't like the new closure system. Simple enough to change it back to standard roll top, however.
    How to change it back to the simple roll top closure? I've grown to dislike the closure system on the Nero. Wish I could just roll it up and clip it together. I'm confused because the compression cord uses the roll top

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    How to change it back to the simple roll top closure? I've grown to dislike the closure system on the Nero. Wish I could just roll it up and clip it together. I'm confused because the compression cord uses the roll top

I originally ordered my MLD prophet with a closure like the Nero and didn't like it either so I sent back, Ron happily changed back to stock...surely ZP would do same as seems as easy as changing a buckle to male/female and terminating compression straps to pack.

Not surprised... when I saw it I was wondering why they were messing with perfection!

OK, to fix... you're going to need the 1/2" buckle set.

Use some wire cutters to carefully snip out the LL3s... DO NOT cut the grosgrain loops!

I do not have the exact hardware but I have similar items to demonstrate how this is done. The basic description is to slide the grosgrain loop through the buckle, wrap it around the buckle cross piece and tie it off with some cord. Trim the cord tails and melt with a Bic. Another option is to make a bunch of loops through the grosgrain with some polyester thread and soak it with some Krazy Glue. Or you could use a zip tie. Or you could stitch it with needle and thread. Or something else you might dream up.

I once did a similar field repair on somebody's pack waist buckle and it held for the duration of the trip. And this was 'back in the day' when we were carrying 75lb packs in the winter!

buckle01.jpgbuckle02.jpgbuckle03.jpgbuckle04.jpgbuckle05.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 07-13-2017 at 20:40.

But how does that help with compressing the pack?

With a pack this size there really isn't much to compress.

The stock arrangement in effect has only one compression cord on the side that runs diagonally. The point where it attaches to the LL3s simply pulls the top down. So if you need that one diagonal compression cord on each side you could put a LL3 on each of those upper grosgrain loops and anchor a cord to the lower grosgrain loops (the ones next to the back).

You might want to see if you can live without them. I had some compression straps on my Zero but found I never used them and cut them off. Haven't missed them at all.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 07-13-2017 at 23:44.

But how does that help with compressing the pack?

Appears same issue as prophet, have to sew at terminating point for compression to attach ....I'd send to ZP but I can't sew...

I definitely prefer having a snap buckle roll top closure and an over the top strap after spending a few months with my current nero. The neros closure system works though.

I too find the strap over the top extremely useful.

It is really nice for a water carry with my 1-liter Platys because the strap can be wrapped around the "waist" of the container to hold it very securely.
    arc_blast_top_strap.jpg

On the rucksack packs I've used(GL Jam 2, ULA Conduit/CDT/Burn, ZP Nero, etc) with non stock suspensions/frame sheets when opting for the roll down(and maybe drawstring top closures) I've had to learn to be careful the load isn't packed away from the body(back) at the top or sags away from the back in this area(not compressed correctly) and the virtual suspension is adequate enough(stiff enough) and that load volume is significantly close to the specked for design load(unless the pack a has a volume reducer system) or the pack sags pulling away creating a forceful stress pt on the top strap resulting in tears to areas like the shovel pocket and where the top strap is attached.

Before noticing and rectifying this as I ascended the rucksack learning curve I had top strap seam failures and incorrect pack positioning too far away from my back putting excessive stress on my shoulders and spine. I did this ignorantly for so long it made my shoulders stronger and great foot balance though that I can now go 25 lbs for most of the day without a hip belt even on shifting tread but resulted in bone misalignment in not only my back but hips which later had to be corrected in chiropractic and physiotherapy rehab...that began with ignorance from a damn top strap and rucksack use.

I'm OK with the Zero up to about 18 lbs or so.

But if carrying more than that, the 36 liter volume is likely going to be inadequate anyway so I will be using the Arc Blast.

Earlier this week I did a 2-night trip and although the TPW was only ~14 lbs I used the Arc Blast anyway for the back ventilation — it was hot and humid as hell!

I'm trying to decide between the MLD burn and SWD 25 currently.

The front pocket on the burn is the only reason I have pulled the trigger on one. It just looks.....small...Its hard to tell from any of the pictures or videos Ive seen. For some reason it seems that no one actually puts their gear in their packs when taking this pictures and videos.

Could anyone with a burn chime in with any comments or pictures??

I love the look of the SWD 25, (especially the front pocket) and ability to customize. But there arent many pictures out there, besides the ones on their website. But Im not so sure about the xpac material they like to work with. I could do a cuben hybrid but Im not so sure its worth it.

I would love to hear any comments about either pack or matierals used.

My new burn should arrive any day.....be glad to send load out pics. Why not order and return if don’t like? I took a leap of faith as I made a few changes so mine is non returnable...Im planning a few FT sections this winter to try it out.

That would be awesome salty!

I could take a risk but like you, I would be make some modifications and that means no returns. I dont want to deal with buying two custom packs and trying to resell it if I dont like it

Ive got a SWD 35. Although bigger than the 25, I love the pack, and the company itself is great and really helpful and has that personal feeling. The pack material is tough, I just did the PCT with it and i never had a problem with ripping on a tree branch or anything of that sorts

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++