WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Carry options for Primus OmniLite Ti

I've got a new Primus OmniLite Ti stove, which is good. It comes with the same pouch supplied with the OmniFuel stove, which is quite heavy (196 grams/6.9 ounces). I need a better way to carry this stove with its sharp titanium edges and corners. The stove is too small to fit inside my cookpot without banging around, and that space is better used for my nesting silicone bowl and mug anyway.

I think if I had some sort of protective sleeve to cover the 3 pot holder arms when folded together (in front of the thumb in the picture below), the stove could be carried well enough in a tyvek envelope picked up at the Post Office.

OmniLite_Ti.JPG

Has anyone come up with a good carry solution for this stove?

Journal Entries

Wrap it in a bandana.
    Blackheart

The sharp titanium points would probably poke holes in the bandana. I could cut up an old sock that's already worn out in the heel, though; just add a rubber band to keep it in place. Not quite as sophisticated as the custom stretchy silicone covers I envisioned, of course, but it would keep the bandana intact and free to use for cleaning chores.

Use some plastic sheet like the stuff used in those thin "cutting boards". Cut out a rectangle which when folded over is just large enough to cover the stove legs and the fuel valve. Bend it in half and cover it with duct tape, leaving both sides open so you can slip it on over the fuel line.

Journal Entries

The only sharp points I could see is the ends of the pot holders. Two minutes with a grinder and a file to round them off, and you are back to a bandana. Rounding the ends should not cause any problems.
    Blackheart

You could design and 3d-print a small plastic cover that clips just over the edges of the pot holder (and maybe a second one for the rests at the bottom), and slip the stuff into any sack that fits.

Tupperware?

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    The sharp titanium points would probably poke holes in the bandana. I could cut up an old sock that's already worn out in the heel, though; just add a rubber band to keep it in place. Not quite as sophisticated as the custom stretchy silicone covers I envisioned, of course, but it would keep the bandana intact and free to use for cleaning chores.
    You answered your own question. A point I would make to newbie hikers is that long distance hiking is an exercise in problem solving. Perhaps indicative of our society today of instance answers (gratification?) too many want to be hand-held through the process rather than working through it themselves. Although this may not apply to you specifically it does to many that post on here. Even though there is some merit in learning from others' experiences, I would contend that you get as much bad information as you do good from forums like this. A much more gratifying, and sustained, process is to learn how to resolve them yourself.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    You answered your own question.
    I came up with a solution, not a great solution. One can always hope that the community will provide something better.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    I came up with a solution, not a great solution. One can always hope that the community will provide something better.
    The community won't always be there, or at least not in a timely manner. Best to figure out simple things for yourself. Most would classify this a 'no-brainer'.

But goshamighty, even by old-school standards that sounds like one kee-razy-heavy cook kit!

Pretty funny that they would make a lightweight stove out of titanium and then put it in a 7oz bag.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Pretty funny that they would make a lightweight stove out of titanium and then put it in a 7oz bag.
    Pretty funny if you appreciate irony. I think Primus folks thought about the OmniLite Ti carry problem, threw their hands up in the air, and just punted by tossing an obviously unsuitable item (which they had at hand) into the box. Not only is the OmniFuel bag heavy, it's so much bigger than needed for the smaller stove that the OmniLite Ti fits in that bag with the legs extended and the fuel bottle attached!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Its not a lightweight stove..............it is an expedition stove, made out of lightweight materials.

A Primus Spider Stove WAS a lightweight stove but can only NOW be purchased as the Primus ETA Spider Stove ( purchase and then immediately dispose of that windscreen and use the pot on the barbecue ) ( also, purchase the multifuel kit )

The Primus Omnifuel TI and its slightly heavier Primus Omnifuel are very good stoves. Well up to the challenges of climbing K2, or traveling the roads of Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post
    Its not a lightweight stove..............it is an expedition stove, made out of lightweight materials.

---------------------------

Well up to the challenges of climbing K2, or traveling the roads of Afghanistan.
    Indeed.

The manufacturer makes the stove with some Ti parts and the marketing department slaps the "Lite" label on it and people think it's lightweight.

Put it on a scale.

Journal Entries

Cardboard box

Images

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post

A Primus Spider Stove WAS a lightweight stove but can only NOW be purchased as the Primus ETA Spider Stove ( purchase and then immediately dispose of that windscreen and use the pot on the barbecue ) ( also, purchase the multifuel kit )

The Primus Omnifuel TI and its slightly heavier Primus Omnifuel are very good stoves. Well up to the challenges of climbing K2, or traveling the roads of Afghanistan.
    Dang it...............http://www.campsaver.com/primus-express-spider-ii-stove 7.2 oz ( stove alone )

purchase the multi fuel "kit" for it and you have the omni fuel Ti, only lighter, smaller, although not as robust, for pretty much the same price................

I carry mine in a 1.8 ltr. MORS Pot from 4 Dog Stoves with cannister and Soto lighter wrapped in bandana.

wrap it in your camp towel and put that in a plastic ziplock ifu need to.

++ New Posts ++