WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Silencer for Primus OmniLite Ti stove

I want a real stove for the AT, and bought a Primus OmniLite Ti. It's a nice stove which will satisfy my need for motivating pancakes , but it sounds like a jet engine. I'd rather not be that one hiker disturbing the peace of the great outdoors. Primus makes a replacement head (available here for $39.95), and there's a BernieDawg add-on silencer (here for $36.15). Anyone have one of these, or something similar, that they want to get rid of? Any useful tips about silencing the OmniLite Ti would also be appreciated.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    I want a real stove for the AT, and bought a Primus OmniLite Ti. It's a nice stove which will satisfy my need for motivating pancakes , but it sounds like a jet engine. I'd rather not be that one hiker disturbing the peace of the great outdoors. Primus makes a replacement head (available here for $39.95), and there's a BernieDawg add-on silencer (here for $36.15). Anyone have one of these, or something similar, that they want to get rid of? Any useful tips about silencing the OmniLite Ti would also be appreciated.
    Have you tried turning the knob down real low so it doesnt sound like a jet engine?

I think youll be dissapointed if you attempt to cook pancakes on high anyway.

No experience with that particular stove, but mine are quiet when turned down low to point they boil water in 8 min or so, instead of 2-3
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-23-2017 at 21:52.

Most of the time I'm going to be boiling water, and I'm not willing to spend an extra 6 minutes 3 times every day. Besides, I've gathered from various YouTube videos that the silenced OmniLite is quieter on high than the unsilenced stove on a simmer. Plus, the many extra flame holes on the silencer means than even finer simmer settings are available. This is an option I really want.

I love that sound, must be a kind of pavlovian effect.

Journal Entries

I'd give either option, Primus replacement or BernieDawg add-on, a try. If it doesn't work, return it.

Quote Originally Posted by sfdoc View Post
    I'd give either option, Primus replacement or BernieDawg add-on, a try. If it doesn't work, return it.
    Oh, I'll certainly go that route if I don't get any offers here. One advantage to buying used (in addition to saving a few bucks) is that you get feedback from someone who's got experience using that exact item. And I'm not worried about wear degradation on a metal stove part as I would be on a used backpack.

++ New Posts ++