Thread: Newbie in PA

Default Newbie in PA

Hi all
    I am a 54 year old mom whose kids have gone off to college and looking for something............
    I have hiked and camped some but have always wanted to backpack - just never did. I don't even have the gear yet but would like to know if there is anyone out there who would like to learn along with me? Maybe do a few short overnights at first? I am in PA and would really like to do this but not sure about doing it by myself just yet. No one I know is interested.

Hi! I don't live very close to you so I wouldn't be able to join you but I just wanted to say I think it's awesome that you are thinking about giving it a shot. My mom would never do a backpacking trip but I did convince her to download the Meetup app to meet locals in her area. There are a lot of hiking based groups where she has been able to meet people to go on short day hikes and other events- this might be something for you to consider as well that way you can get involved with other like minded people and maybe find a bond with someone you wouldn't mind spending a night or more in the woods with! Good luck, hope it works out for you.

A significant number of folks discover or rediscover hiking as empty nesters.

Many start with a hiking club, such as http://www.satc-hike.org/ - meetups are common, too.

thank you JPax and ki0eh for the advice. i did join a couple of hiking groups and meeting some great people. the hikes are more than i expected. started researching for my gear too. so i am really wondering about this hammock thing instead of a tent. i dont think i can sleep on the ground without an air mattress! haha so i think a hammock is the way to go....what do you all think? i do sleep on my side tho. thanks everyone! i have been reading alot on here.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by twinsinpa View Post
    thank you JPax and ki0eh for the advice. i did join a couple of hiking groups and meeting some great people. the hikes are more than i expected. started researching for my gear too. so i am really wondering about this hammock thing instead of a tent. i dont think i can sleep on the ground without an air mattress! haha so i think a hammock is the way to go....what do you all think? i do sleep on my side tho. thanks everyone! i have been reading alot on here.
    I know this forum is for the ladies, but thought I would offer some info about Hammock Camping. First visit a sister site of White Blaze, HammockForums.net. You can glean a lot of information on any hammock made, including DIY hammocks. You can also check out upcoming hammock hangs in your neck of the woods. Just a bunch of Hammock campers who are there to answer your questions live and will normally let you try their hammock to see how it feels. Second, go to YouTube.com and watch videos by Shug Emery. He is a hammock nut in more ways than one. I used to be a tent hiker/backpacker, until I went to a hang and I never looked back since. I have a TT Notch tent for those times when I winter camp. I am also a side sleeper and the hammock seems made for a side sleeper. Good Luck to you.
    Blackheart

Hi,
    I am 55 years old and want to get started hiking the Appalachian Trail, which is something I've wanted to do for a very long time. I have some backpacking experience in my past and I love to hike and camp. I'm also looking to start on the trail with a short overnights and I also live in PA. I have most of my equipment-working on taking hikes in my area with my backpack on and need to get in better shape for longer hikes. I'd love to meet up with you if you'd like...I think hiking the trail will be an incredible experience!

oops, make that 54 years old....

Thank you for the link-looks like some great hiking opportunities!

Daisaic - that sounds awesome. i have joined a couple of day hiking groups to also get into better shape for this. i am also researching and getting my gear. i have decided i am definitely doing this!! and very excited. i also made a long term goal......when i retire in about 10 years i plan to do a thru hike. but in the meantime i gotta work.... so its long weekends to start then maybe a week or two.
    I would love to meet up with you once i have all my stuff. What do you think about August?

If it helps with drive time etc. for you two, note there are other long distance backpacking paths located between Mechanicsburg and Pittsburgh.

http://www.hike-mst.org/ - crosses PA Turnpike between Bedford and Breezewood interchanges. Offers many more hammock trees than campsites, also no shelters.
    https://www.standingstonetrail.org/ - crosses PA Turnpike near Fort Littleton interchange. PA Trail of the Year in 2016, free maps. Has only one shelter, and it doesn't have a privy.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/lhht/ - crosses PA Turnpike between Somerset and Donegal interchanges, has shelters, but you need to reserve those or campsites in advance. A much more well-used path than the other two.

There are also loop backpacking paths not too far off the midpoint.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...hnsaylortrail/ - between Bedford and Johnstown
    http://www.pahikes.com/trails/allegheny-front-trail - between State College and Altoona

I'm sure folks can opine about which sections of these to start on if you are interested, but perhaps start a new thread in "Great Eastern Trail" sub-forum for the first two, and "Other Trails" sub-forum for the latter three.

Hi ladies
    I am from Maryland but I am trying to section hike the AT in PA and southern VA. I would love to join you over a weekend backpacking or slacpacking.
    Akela

Quote Originally Posted by Akela View Post
    Hi ladies
    I am from Maryland but I am trying to section hike the AT in PA and southern VA. I would love to join you over a weekend backpacking or slacpacking.
    Akela
    Hi Akela
    We are going Sept 8 -10 here in PA if you want to join us! Not sure yet how many are actually going but definitely my sister and I and maybe the poster above and another lady from York, PA. if you want to PM me or email me i can give you the details. If you can't make it then - we can sure go again!

Hi twinsinpa, I'm in Connecticut but grew up a little north of Allentown and my mom is still there. If you want some young blood, I'd be happy to come down for a night or two along the AT sometime. I have some free weekends in November and December, and I know for sure I'll be in the area around Christmas if you'd like to do a dayhike. My mom is 57 and at one point was a frequent hiker and backpacker, so I might be able to rope her into coming along!

Hi Akela
    We are going Sept 8 -10 here in PA if you want to join us! Not sure yet how many are actually going but definitely my sister and I and maybe the poster above and another lady from York, PA. if you want to PM me or email me i can give you the details. If you can't make it then - we can sure go again!
    Definitively interested. I have something on the 9th but i'm trying to move it to a different day

akela - great! just let me know.

lumba - i would love to go anytime. and meet your mom of course too. but i do go slow as pretty new to all of this. i wouldn't want to slow you down. my sister and i have been day hiking to get in shape!

There is a great cross fit box in Mechanicsburg called Crossfit Pnuema, great place to get ready for the trail. Membership is 50/50 men and women of all ages and ability levels. Great community if you are new to town. The owner is great and so are the members. Your legs will become "trail ready"

b

akela - great! just let me know.

lumba - i would love to go anytime. and meet your mom of course too. but i do go slow as pretty new to all of this. i wouldn't want to slow you down. my sister and i have been day hiking to get in shape!

Sorry, it will have to be in another ocassion
    Have fun

ok thanks for letting me know. i am getting so excited.

You go, girl! I wish I was closer (in Virginia)....I'm 61 and getting ready for my maiden AT hike on Oct 6....going to do 60 miles in Shenandoah National Park. I have the good fortune to have a great friend who has done several LASH's (Long *** Section Hikes) and he will be my "mentor". SOOO much information on the internet...two guys on youtube I got lots of information from was a guy named "Darwin on the Trail" and another guy called "BigFoot". The REI in Richmond just hosted a Backpacking for Women class and I met a couple dozen other women there, all with various degrees of experience...we all exchanged emails. It was also suggested to go on Meetup.com and see if there was some groups there that might help. When are you looking to start out? Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by kbstock View Post
    You go, girl! I wish I was closer (in Virginia)....I'm 61 and getting ready for my maiden AT hike on Oct 6....going to do 60 miles in Shenandoah National Park. I have the good fortune to have a great friend who has done several LASH's (Long *** Section Hikes) and he will be my "mentor". SOOO much information on the internet...two guys on youtube I got lots of information from was a guy named "Darwin on the Trail" and another guy called "BigFoot". The REI in Richmond just hosted a Backpacking for Women class and I met a couple dozen other women there, all with various degrees of experience...we all exchanged emails. It was also suggested to go on Meetup.com and see if there was some groups there that might help. When are you looking to start out? Best of luck to you!
    thanks kb! i wish u were closer too. i did join some hiking meetups and am taking a backpacking course also. my sister and i are going out for a weekend on Sept 8-10. i pretty much talked her into it as i could find noone else to join me! haha.
    Good luck on your maiden trek too! we aren't going quite that far at first but i hope to soon. when i get down that way in the future i will keep you in mind. good luck and let us all know how you did.

++ New Posts ++