WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Seeking experienced section hiker's shuttle/transportation advice

I'm a lone hiker and wanted to find out what others have done in the same boat. I last left off at Standing Indian Shelter near the GA/NC border, and wanted to pick up there this time around. I'll be hiking to Erwin, TN.

Option 1: buying a round-trip ticket from my hometown to Asheville, NC... then the returning flight would be from TriCities Airport. This would cost in total about $200, excluding the uncertain transportation from Asheville to S.I. Shelter.

Option 2: finding transportation from Erwin, TN to my car at the GA/NC border; ranging from estimated prices of $200 to $300.

As lone hikers, how have you gotten around this situation? I'm open to any advice.

I'm Lonehiker...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    I'm a lone hiker and wanted to find out what others have done in the same boat. I last left off at Standing Indian Shelter near the GA/NC border, and wanted to pick up there this time around. I'll be hiking to Erwin, TN.

Option 1: buying a round-trip ticket from my hometown to Asheville, NC... then the returning flight would be from TriCities Airport. This would cost in total about $200, excluding the uncertain transportation from Asheville to S.I. Shelter.

Option 2: finding transportation from Erwin, TN to my car at the GA/NC border; ranging from estimated prices of $200 to $300.

As lone hikers, how have you gotten around this situation? I'm open to any advice.
    There isn't a "right" answer. It's a long drive (about 8 hours) from Jacksonville, FL to Erwin, TN. Cost in dollars is a factor. Cost in time is another factor. If it were me, I'd go for option 1. Unless you have ridiculous layovers, flying is almost always a lot faster, plus you won't be exhausted by a long drive.

Journal Entries

Flying introduces all kinds of issues.It just depends what you want

Money never enters into it for me, I prefer to drive if possible, because Im in control and not bound by scheduleEven when driving costs more. Which isnt uncommon in a 4wd supercrew truck that gets 14 mpg.

When I do fly, I usually dont purchase return ticket in advance if longer than a week or so. I dont want to be bound by tight schedule. I hoard FF miles on united for return $$$ same day one-way tickets.

Getting on a plane in a few weeks....one way.

But if I was you, drive to erwin. park at uncle johnnies.
    Have them arrange shuttle for you, and spend night, and may not charge you parking. Eat bkfsdt next morn in town before shuttle (gas station or mcdonalds). Hike back to car.

When get back, shower at johnnies, leave clean clothes in car. Eat at kfc buffet all u can, or pizza hut, and drive home. 8 hrs not far.

Ive hiked 22 miles by 3 pm, then driven home 14 hrs straight before.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-23-2017 at 14:31.

I travel for work on occasion, my "rule" is if I can drive it in 10 hours compared to flight I will usually drive it. When air travel works its great but far more chance for screw ups at the airport. If checking baggage its a minimum 2 hours before the flight and optimistically 1 hour after the flight plus the time of the flight.

I'd be flying Allegiant Air, which I'm unfamiliar with. The only negative would be having to time and plan my arrival to TriCities Airport perfectly, which means I'd have to skip or plan any zero days I may want to have.

I definitely don't mind driving; I just hate asking or inconveniencing others for a ride to my destination and never know how to compensate them. I too like to be in control, but realized on my first section hike that without a vehicle in my back pocket, I'm pretty much screwed. I did call Uncle Johnny's about shuttle cost to the GA/NC border and he left me hanging. He also argued with me that the AT doesn't intersect NC and goes straight into TN

I would prefer driving 90% of the time, and $150 round-trip and $45 to check a bag both ways doesn't seem like the most cost-effective approach.

Journal Entries

I definitely don't mind driving; I just hate asking or inconveniencing others for a ride to my destination and never know how to compensate them. I too like to be in control, but realized on my first section hike that without a vehicle in my back pocket, I'm pretty much screwed. I did call Uncle Johnny's about shuttle cost to the GA/NC border and he left me hanging. He also argued with me that the AT doesn't intersect NC and goes straight into TN
    Im sure there was a misunderstanding about nc/tn.

Uncle johnnies doesnt shuttle. They have several people they call to see who can do it, and set you up with one. Its expected that they will have to call you back. I expect they will get a cut, which is why they often waive the parking fee

If you drive, park in Erwin, shuttle south, hike back to car. Like Muddy Waters said. The cost is arranged up front.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I would prefer driving 90% of the time, and $150 round-trip and $45 to check a bag both ways doesn't seem like the most cost-effective approach.
    Study the Shuttle List from the AT folks. If your dates are flexible, perhaps you could get a sharing deal with other hikers.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

For what's it worth Tri Cities is a really small airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If you drive, park in Erwin, shuttle south, hike back to car. Like Muddy Waters said. The cost is arranged up front.
    Wayne

Or vice versa. Park at the southern end; shuttle to Erwin first; then hike back to your car. This will save you some driving, and make it easier for you to connect with the shuttle.

-FA

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    Or vice versa. Park at the southern end; shuttle to Erwin first; then hike back to your car. This will save you some driving, and make it easier for you to connect with the shuttle.

-FA
    I don't think I would leave my car at the Deep Gap trailhead for that long.

-

I'd be flying Allegiant Air, which I'm unfamiliar with. .
    if you complete a trip with allegiant without negatives, you may have beaten the odds - it is cheap and you will see many reasons why

-

ideal would be a hiking partner with another vehicle and self shuttle

Images

I would avoid flying Allegiant if at all possible.

If it were me, I'd drive my car to Franklin, NC. Contact Ron Haven in Franklin (http://ronhavenhikerservices.com/). He does (or did) allow vehicles left at his motel and provides shuttle services. Have Ron or someone else from Franklin shuttle you to Erwin. Hike back to Deep Gap (road crossing just south of Standing Indian Shelter) or Standing Indian Campground and then shuttle back to your car in Franklin.

If you choose to do this another way, a better shuttler in Erwin to contact is: http://www.hikershuttles.com/. The owner posts as "10-K" here on Whiteblaze.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Ready, I don't know if this will work for you, you will have to fiddle around with it. Megabus runs between Jacksonville, FL and Atlanta, GA. In Atlanta, you hop on Amtrak and go to Toccoa. That gets you within 70 miles of Standing Indian. I picked 7/19 to travel. The Megabus to Atlanta was $10, 6hrs 20 minutes. Arriving 4:35 pm. Train leaves at 8:04 p.m. arriving 9:40 p.m. and was $24. The shuttle will likely run at least $100 I would expect though from Toccoa. (Asheville to S.I. is 92 miles another 22 miles or so.) Walk to Erwin Fly back from Tri-Cities.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries

We used Allegiant Air to get to Newark last month. Dirt cheap fares. Direct flight. On time, a little early actually. We didn't have any negative experiences. That's the only time we've flown on Allegiant, so I can't say that this is a pattern.

Images

If you fly, you still need ground transportation from house to plane, from plane to trail, from trail to plane, and from plane to house.

If you drive, you only need transportation from hike ending point to hike starting point (either before or after your hike). I have personally used shuttles many times (at least 7 different shuttle services). They've all been great. They all know the local trail access points and the best routes to and from. And whatever the cost, it's always seemed trivial compared to the time and expense that would be necessary to work it out among our group of hikers. If you are a lone hiker, I'd think you'd benefit even more from a shuttle service than a group of 4 or 5 hikers.

I haven't tried flying yet, but it doesn't sound appealing. After checking baggage, arranging ground transportation (including the purchase of fuel that cannot be checked on the plane), dealing with the limited choice of departure/arrival times, etc., I would think an 8 hour drive would sound pretty mild by comparison.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++