WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Tick vector causing meat allergy

Holy hamburgers batsman!

but seriously, one more tick borne disease to be aware of ....

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...spreading-spd/

Had SO MANY ticks on me(mostly calves) on a recently completed Ozark Highlands Tr thru-hike. This was despite newly permethrin treated socks, shoes, clothing, and gear and 35% DEET applied to legs. It seemed some ticks would not be bothered by the precautions. The seed ticks are the hardest to detect. I was pulling off 5-6 ticks every 5-15 mins.

A study by Western Connecticut College in Danbury (just south of the AT) indicates a three-fold increase in deer ticks this year.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Journal Entries
    Images

It's interesting you post this. I've been dealing with what appears to be a sudden onset of moderate adult onset athsma. Initial testing was for airborne irritants, of which I had a few, resulting in standard athsma treatment. I'm 49 and never had anything of the sort before. At first it was just a tickle related to athletic activity, but over the last year and a half has turned to a persistent nagging constrictive condition beyond exercise related athsma. Over the last two weeks, I've decided to try eliminating red meat and milk from my diet...and my symptoms have pretty much subsided. I'm scheduled to get tested for the Alpha-Gal and will report back what I find out. I've also found eliminating these completely is harder than I thought. If I'm positive my new trail name will be Alpha-Gal!
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Had SO MANY ticks on me(mostly calves) on a recently completed Ozark Highlands Tr thru-hike. This was despite newly permethrin treated socks, shoes, clothing, and gear and 35% DEET applied to legs. It seemed some ticks would not be bothered by the precautions. The seed ticks are the hardest to detect. I was pulling off 5-6 ticks every 5-15 mins.
    That's concerning after permethrin treatment!

Journal Entries

But it wasnt a surprise was it?

I'm not sure its a cure-all, but I use 100% DEET after finding the 35% stuff seemed to attract more insects than it repelled. Since that change many years ago I've not had any insect issues outside of black fly swarms that required a head net.

I found a protocol that's working for me. Maybe someone else can benefit also.

I use a combination of permethrin for my clothes and pack, DEET for the flying insects, and ChiggAway (sulfur based) for the non-flying critters, especially on my legs while wearing shorts.

While its not perfect, I rarely find a tick and it's even rarer for it to latch on. My hiking partners that don't follow this protocol can't say the same.

I was expecting to contend with many ticks on the OHT during my hiking timeframe. I was surprised after the DEET and permethrin apps I still had ticks on socks, shoes, and crawling across calves after fresh apps.

No chiggers though. Surprised at the rampant poison ivy EVERYWHERE.

Great hike otherwise. Would advise saving the OHT for the fall, early spring, or possibly even winter to avoid thsee concerns. Water would be flowing better and views would open up. OHT is a tough hike.

Journal Entries

I switch from DEET to Picaridin along with permethrin and now I don't have any problems with the little creepy crawlies.
    Blackheart

Images

Dogwood, I suspect that permethrin treated long pants, especially tucked into permethrin treated socks, would have helped. Do we have volunteers to repeat your hike with permethrin treated zip off pants with one long pant leg on and the other off?

The US military recommendations have changed a bit: permethrin treated clothes plus DEET or picaridin on exposed skin. They recommend time release DEET (e.g., Ultrathon) rather than 100% DEET. 100% DEET lasts longer than 30% DEET, but can cause skin irritation; repeating application of the 30% every few hours should work out about the same. https://phc.amedd.army.mil/PHC%20Res...8-009-1115.pdf

Kaptainkriz: I also have asthma triggered by respiratory irritants, but not by foods. If you do have intolerance to alpha-gal it can be cause anaphylaxis which can be deadly, so be careful until that is determined. Here is an interesting tidbit of alpha-gal info: https://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert...tose-alpha-1_3

Journal Entries

No chiggers though. Surprised at the rampant poison ivy EVERYWHERE.
    Yes.
    There were places I recall the green undergrowth on both sides of trail was nothing but poison ivy. Couldnt step off trail to pee

It was a humid drenching sweat fest with spider Web after spider Web. No way would I have wanted to wear pants. There is much rocky narrow trail wit constant up and downs.

Journal Entries
    Images

So, it's official - My new trail name is "Alpha Gal". Results back and I've been altered by the tick vector!
    Beware of ticks, especially the white spotted ones, I never thought it would happen to me!
    I plan to start posting about food choices and how I deal with it. For a start though, there are many hiker staples that are now off limits for me (determined trial by fire prior to the test results):
    NO FROSTED PoP Tarts (most non frosted are ok)
    NO Jerky, Meat Sticks, Slim Jims, etc.
    NO Snickers, or most similar candy....
    NO Gummy Candy - usually contains gelatin from mammals
    NO Cheese, Cheese food procuct, Cheeze, Cheese Whiz, Chez', etc of any kind.
    NO Pizza (vegan ok)
    NO Ice Cream Challenge (unless they have sorbet)
    NO Nido
    NO Chocolate, Hot Chocolate, etc.
    NO Yogurt, or Yogurt covered anything
    NO Lunch Meat of any kind - even turkey, as they are often processed with milk ingredients.
    None of the obvious burgers, dogs, mac-n-cheese, etc.
    The list goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    It's interesting you post this. I've been dealing with what appears to be a sudden onset of moderate adult onset athsma. Initial testing was for airborne irritants, of which I had a few, resulting in standard athsma treatment. I'm 49 and never had anything of the sort before. At first it was just a tickle related to athletic activity, but over the last year and a half has turned to a persistent nagging constrictive condition beyond exercise related athsma. Over the last two weeks, I've decided to try eliminating red meat and milk from my diet...and my symptoms have pretty much subsided. I'm scheduled to get tested for the Alpha-Gal and will report back what I find out. I've also found eliminating these completely is harder than I thought. If I'm positive my new trail name will be Alpha-Gal!
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

I'm sorry about that KaptainKriz. Since they are not mammals, is poultry OK? Ostriches are supposed to be like red meat. Good luck.

Images

Welcome to the fold, fellow alpha gal haver. Mary Jane's Farm is okay.

Sounds like you have more than just alpha gal going on. Most of us with it can still have dairy. Sounds like you also have lactose intolerance.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Images

Did they give you an epi-pen? Carry it!

If they didn't, advocate for being given one. My reaction to alpha-galactose has reached anaphylaxis. Better to have an epi-pen and not need it because your reactions stay more mild than to die of anaphylaxis all for want of an epi-pen.

Some of us react to cross contaminated food, others of us don't. I'm luckily a don't so I have to ingest red meat containing the alpha-galactose sugar to have my airway close. You may not be so lucky.

Images

Also, if your social circles are anything like mine, every time alpha-gal is in the news (about 2x a year), your friends and family will bombard you with whatever the news story is.

It gets old after 5 or so years.

Godspeed, my new comrade. Godspeed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++