WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default ANY AIRPORT troubles

Doing a section hike and I'm going to try to carry my pack on as my carry-on. I know that I can't bring fuel, tent poles, tent stakes, knife, trowel, hiking poles. But what other things has anybody come across? Will my food be an issue? Like Mountain house bags, home made gorp packages?

You must have a small backpack. Most are bigger than the maximum allowed size. I have a 62 liter Zpack and it did not qualify.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Back on the trail View Post
    Doing a section hike and I'm going to try to carry my pack on as my carry-on. I know that I can't bring fuel, tent poles, tent stakes, knife, trowel, hiking poles. But what other things has anybody come across? Will my food be an issue? Like Mountain house bags, home made gorp packages?
    You cannot bring food thru security checkpoints at airport.
    Airlines have a cut of food concessions

You need to check your food

I've carried on my circuit and gorilla with no issue, as MW said check food also. I usually carry my down items and other fragile $$$ stuff i.e. shelter the rest gets checked...this is only time I use stuff sacks to compress items and also use all compression straps on pack. I'll be flying to Co next Sunday with my prophet the same way. Never had issue on SW airlines this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Salty - I'm carrying my ULA as well. My Issue is Time. I have only one hour to get from the airport to the train station to make the connection so I can't afford to put anything under the airplane and wait at baggage claim. It's in the pack or I have to ship it ahead.

Journal Entries

Here is the TSA site that list what can be carried on and what must be checked. I normally send my pack ahead to the trail via UPS Ground. No hassles with my used stove, fuel bottles (empty and odor free), food, and other no nos. That way I feel relatively safe in knowing everything gets there and TSA didn't remove and/or steal anything. Small items like my cell phone and other known safe items I do as carry on.
    Blackheart

You can bring almost any food you want through airport security in your carry on bags. The exception is what the TSA considers liquids such as salsa, sauces, and yogurt. For those items, 3.4 oz or less.

What Can I Bring? | TSA
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

I put my z-packs into a large duffel bag along with my hiking poles. Sent the duffel home when I got to Georgia. No problems.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You cannot bring food thru security checkpoints at airport.
    Airlines have a cut of food concessions

You need to check your food
    So not true.

When I did my JMT hike last year, I checked my backpack while my bear canister full of food was my main carry-on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kisco Kid View Post
    You can bring almost any food you want through airport security in your carry on bags. The exception is what the TSA considers liquids such as salsa, sauces, and yogurt. For those items, 3.4 oz or less.
    What Can I Bring? | TSA
    In addition to liquids, I've heard several stories of peanut butter getting confiscated.

Salty - I'm carrying my ULA as well. My Issue is Time. I have only one hour to get from the airport to the train station to make the connection so I can't afford to put anything under the airplane and wait at baggage claim. It's in the pack or I have to ship it ahead.
    Simply mail those items ahead as others said I've also done that with no issues...on way back simply use your pack liner i.e. compactor bag as a cover over entire pack Inc poles and tape shut and check..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    So not true.

When I did my JMT hike last year, I checked my backpack while my bear canister full of food was my main carry-on.

In addition to liquids, I've heard several stories of peanut butter getting confiscated.
    After being told I couldnt and tossing stuff, I havent tried in years. Since way before ,9-11 and tsa.
    They cant open and search sealed food packaging.

But i alwsys figured it was airlines really wanting you to buy their $$$ food and snacks.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-22-2017 at 12:23.

Journal Entries

Only one train you can take?
    Dont c line run about every half hour till 830 pm

You starting trail at 10 pm or something?

And its only m-f....its commuter rail
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-22-2017 at 12:41.

Check your airlines carry on size AND wt maximum. Carry food onto flights all the time usually most in food sack with a few non liquid items in hip belt pockets with never an issue in 15 yrs. Once through TSA check pts food and liquids can be bought and brought onto flights. In 15 yrs and 40 plus flights have never has an issue carrying on several types of tent stakes or folded up trekking poles.

I carry on a ULA CDT 55L with nothing dangling outsode off the pack in a 25 lb load all the time.

To lighten up the load needed to be hauled on flights I ll sometimes mail ahead 5 to 6 days food and any prohibited items like pocket knife, gas canisters, etc

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Only one train you can take?
    Dont c line run about every half hour till 830 pm

You starting trail at 10 pm or something?

And its only m-f....its commuter rail
    Train only "STOPS" at the trail head on Sat. Sun. since I am flying in that morning I miss the first train and the one I am gunning for is the only other that day. So yeah it a all or nothing adventure.

Several of the airlines attempt to scare travelers into paying extra to check baggage. Like Jet Blue. Easy enough to avoid these extra fee genersting biz tactics when you review your specific carriers carry on size policie aND measure your pack to make sure it is within their regs pre flight.

Journal Entries

Train only "STOPS" at the trail head on Sat. Sun. since I am flying in that morning I miss the first train and the one I am gunning for is the only other that day. So yeah it a all or nothing adventure.
    You lost me.
    Are you going to littleton mineral station?
    I recall that c line didnt run on sat/sun from union station.

The d line did from 30th st station....but its a short bus ride from union station.

Dont recall anything running 2 x day, unless your talking buses to lockheed plant....then that makes sense. I never researched that. Theres always uber...

Or make it easy. Ct foundation has list of people that will shuttle. Lots in denver....you should have this list in phone for trail just in case
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-22-2017 at 13:28.

Images

For future reference: Quantity limits: One lighter per passenger in carry-on or on one's person. When a carry-on bag is checked at the gate or at planeside, any lighter in the carry-on must be removed from the bag and kept with the passenger in the aircraft cabin.See the regulation: 49 CFR 175.10(a)(2)

Journal Entries

C line Does run sat/sun

But only northbound early in morning
    Not south

You can get d line at 16 th and stout . Just use free mallride from union station.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-22-2017 at 13:43.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++