WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Getting my bear spray TODAY!!!

I know this has been discussed AD NAUSEAM, but I got really freaked out about those unfortunate recent black bears mauling in Alaska. To carry/not carry bear spray, there are three views: 1. Not necessary and overkill. chances to get mauled are minuscule (majority) 2. Don't get into the woods without it (minority) and 3. Do whatever feels right for you (which can be said practically on every issue in life). So, this is me; I live in NYC, which means that i'm surrounded year round by people, most of them i do not care about. So when i'm in the woods, i like to be by myself, with my thoughts and my demons. Now, let's say i'm in front of a black bear alone in the woods. Let's say this bear, and i do not care if it is a male or a female, made up it's mind that i'm going to make a tasty and nutritious meal. What to do? They tell you to stand your ground. So you shout, yell and scream, and the bear is unfazed. Then you throw sticks and stones at him/her, and now the bear is really pissed off. If you have a bear spray, then you have one more line of defense/attack. if not, it is your bare hands against three inches of claws and teeth in a 300.00 lbs body. So the question you have to ask yourself is: How bad DO I NOT want to become a statistic? Two footnotes: 1. I read somewhere the the black bear population in the east coast is record high. if that's true, that means more bears=less food. Less food=more desperate bears. 2. pepper spray can be useful towards other unwanted companions such as humans, aggressive stray dogs, rabid animals, just to name a few.

I've carried spray for years and don't even notice the extra weight. I've had enough run-ins with bears in GSMNP/ SNP, including a couple of close encounters, and having another self-defense tool isn't a bad thing. As mentioned, it's effective for two-legged threats as well.

I read but cannot verify that bear spray is less potent than the pepper spray made for humans.

The supposed reason for this is that a bear's sense of smell is 1,200X greater than a human so a lesser potency is needed.

Regardless, I carry a very small can of pepper spray made for human use, not bears. It sprays very far and weighs almost nothing.

Thanks for the feedback. I think the extra weight (11 ounces for the 8.1 fluid ounces size) well worth the peace of mind. I never thought I will be needing one, but i changed my mind, and i wonder how many more out there feel this way?

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    I read somewhere the the black bear population in the east coast is record high. if that's true, that means more bears=less food. Less food=more desperate bears.
    If you want to carry bear spray, knock yourself out. But, playing amateur wildlife biologist leads to misinformation.

Truly, the biggest threat to hikers on the trail is not 300 pound bears, but the barely visible dear tick. 2017 is projected to be an especially bad year for lyme disease: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ase/100120496/
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I read but cannot verify that bear spray is less potent than the pepper spray made for humans.

The supposed reason for this is that a bear's sense of smell is 1,200X greater than a human so a lesser potency is needed.

Regardless, I carry a very small can of pepper spray made for human use, not bears. It sprays very far and weighs almost nothing.
    The only issue with human-strength formulas is the risk of blow-back in windier conditions or if you are in a tent spraying an intrusive bear. The bear formula will be enough to ward off human problems if you give them enough.

Interesting article - thanks for posting it.

Has anyone actually used their bear spray to protect themselves from a bear or other perceived threat?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Kisco Kid View Post
    Truly, the biggest threat to hikers on the trail is not 300 pound bears, but the barely visible dear tick.
    Ticks are by FAR my biggest fear when hiking.

That said, when it comes to LETHAL risks on the AT, more thru hikers (six in total) have lost thier lives to criminals than to bear, snakes, lightening, ticks, trains, tree-fall, river fording, bee stings, rabid animals and hypothermia combined.

Journal Entries

Besides chemical composition being different, Pepper Spray as used in law enforcement/humans has a spray pattern that is a stream. It makes aiming the spray directly into the face of the person much easier. The stream has an effective range of around 8-10 feet. Bear Spray has a spray pattern more like a fog, covering a large area that doesn't requiring precise aiming. It has an effective range of around 15-20 feet depending on which manufacture you choose. One even claims 35 feet. Depending on what article/website you read some say pepper spray is stronger; others tell you bear spray is the strongest. Either way, I would not to be sprayed with either one. When I went to the Highway Patrol Academy, we were sprayed with MACE to feel its effect. The one consideration with Bear Spray is knowing which way the wind is blowing, so you don't get it blown back into your face. Again I feel this is personal choice item and shouldn't depend on what others think. HYOH.
    Blackheart

I tested mine once.
    Wind was behind me and I sprayed it downwind.
    It was a steady stream, about 20-30 feet and immediately my eyes were burning and my brother and I both started coughing.
    The **** works.
    (by the way this was from a can of bear spray that had expired about 10 years before!)

Never needed to try it on a bear but I had it out a few times in Montana when I saw grizzlies not so far away.
    Was glad I had it.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries

If I were you, I think I would get me a new can. YMMV
    Blackheart

Carry or don't carry. Do what you think is best.

Only one? What if you see two bears?

Journal Entries

Carry if you must, but remember it's an extremely rarity that you will be attacked by a bear. To date I believe no one has been killed on the AT by a bear. It's far better to learn how to deal with your food. I prefer the UrSack and sleep with your food method as hanging food has it's pitfalls. But it's your hike and you'll learn what works and what doesn't. So, enjoy your hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Has anyone actually used their bear spray to protect themselves from a bear or other perceived threat?
    I don't know, but that article says not to spray it till the bear is within range - 20 feet - and to keep spraying till the bear is deterred - up to 6 seconds.
    Question: How long does it take a bear to cover 20 feet?

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    I don't know, but that article says not to spray it till the bear is within range - 20 feet - and to keep spraying till the bear is deterred - up to 6 seconds.
    Question: How long does it take a bear to cover 20 feet?
    Less than 6 seconds.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Truly, the biggest threat to hikers on the trail is not 300 pound bears, but the barely visible dear tick. 2017 is projected to be an especially bad year for lyme disease: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ase/100120496/If you want to carry bear spray, knock yourself out. But, playing amateur wildlife biologist leads to misinformation.
    If you want to carry bear spray, knock yourself out. But, playing amateur wildlife biologist leads to misinformation.

One does not exclude the other. You should protect yourself from both. This thread is those who, like me, never thought of hiking with a bear spray, but now have a change of heart, and I would like to know their thoughts and inputs. That's all there's to it. At the end of the day, we make our choices, and we are responsible to our actions.

Journal Entries

I carry bear spray because I did a lot of hiking in the western states early in my backpacking adventures. I have seen both black and brown bears and the damage that they can do to human beings. It turned into one of the pieces of gear that take just like a hammock or a tent.
    Blackheart

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++