WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Steel Toed Hiking Boots

Hey folks,

Yeah I know the request for steel toed hiking boots is a bit weird, but hear me out.
    I like to hike in trail runners but when the weather turns cold or wet, I get out my old pair of waterproof boots from high school that really need to be replaced.
    Jump to now, I just got a job that requires I have steel-toe boots, or at least boots with toe protection. My budget can't justify getting new boots just for hiking, but I can justify spending a bit extra for boots I can use both at the work site and on the trail. Do you all have recommendations for boots that may serve my needs? Online reviews don't really go over this stuff and I don't necessarily trust what companies market as "steel toe hiking boots" without backup confirmation.
    Bonus points: I have flat feet. =(

oh, and budget is $100-$150. I may be able to stretch that if the boots are really worth it, but that's gonna be difficult.

thanks

Rocky Brands make some good lightweight composite toe boots that may do the job.
    I hike in Rockys but dont really have any need for steel/composite toe boots so cant give you much more than that.

Chasing the sun,
    Turtle

Journal Entries

All my work boots are really heavy.
    I wouldnt contemplate hiking in them
    I dont even like walking in them at work

Check out the military compliant ISO9000 boots. Those are all steel toed, most are more high top sneakers than boots.

It is a well established niche.

Under Armor makes some and lots of web sites flack review:

for example (without endorsing this website, it just explains the niche well. I don't endorse their recommendations though).

http://solelabz.com/tactical-boots/b...boots-reviews/

And Nike and Reebok just launched lines too.

Journal Entries
    Images

"Steel toes" is common usage but there are fiberglass toes that meet the ANSI standard. Should be lighter.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

And warmer. I've always found my steel toed shoes to be little freezers when it's cold and wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    "Steel toes" is common usage but there are fiberglass toes that meet the ANSI standard. Should be lighter.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Keen makes a steel toe boot called the Detroit that is almost identical to the Voyageur. http://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-DETROIT-MID.html
    More walking, less talking.

I have protective boots (the lightest version of) for occassional on-site work, and for the last few weeks used them for full-day home/farm work.
    Now I've developed a pain in the right foot what seems to come from a Plantar Fasciitis.
    Those protective boots are hardly suitable for walking around the full day, and hiking is even more than just walking around while doing manual work.
    I'd see protective boots used for hiking a gross misuse. It may work for you, but it didn't for me.

I wear Red Wing steel toe safety shoes at work. Not uncommon to walk 8 miles a day in them. Very comfortable if you can get away with shoes and not boots. I believe they are composite toes so very light and all leather. Not water proof though. I have a pair of rubber overshoes for rain at work.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    Keen makes a steel toe boot called the Detroit that is almost identical to the Voyageur. http://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-DETROIT-MID.html

He beat me to it. The Rural King near me stocks the full line of them. The Detroit looks like the Targhee 2, while the Flint looks like the Voyager. Both can be had in steel toe, I believe.
    They even have what look like trail runners with aluminum toes and sneakers with steel toes.

I'd wait and find a pair of hiking boots on sale for $80 and a pair of work boots on sale for $80. I've found that my hiking shoes last a lot longer if all I ever do is hike in them. I usually do a couple of hundred miles a year and get several years out of a pair of hiking shoes...but I only put them on if I'm going hiking. I don't wear them to go to the grocery store...I don't wear them to work...I don't wear them to mow the lawn. I put them on when I get in the car to go to the trail and take them off when I get home.

I just got a pair of mid top Keen steel toed shoes (Detroit, non-slip water/oil) that have a similar tread pattern to their hiking shoes. I've spent considerable time in trail and broken terrain conditions where they are very stable and aren't as heavy as other footwear I have used before on trails. For me, these are a nice compromise with limited carry-on space to bring a second pair of robust shoes. Just be sure to get them sized properly for your foot, they don't have any give in the toe box. They are a little pricey, but I didn't find much in the lower priced manufacturer steel toed shoes that worked well on various terrain and had a comfortable fit.

I spent years wearing various safety toed boots on job sites. I wouldn't consider steel toed boots for hiking, but I had a few pairs of Wolverine composit toed boots that were certainly light enough. Whether the soles were appropriate for hiking is another matter.

I have wide feet and for the years I had to wear steel toes, I usually had to go one size up to get the toe width. Hitchcock Shoes actually went to the trouble of coming out with wide toes caps that meet the specs but most companies use a standard width toe cap. If I try to use the right size with standard toe cap I get blister and eventually numbness in my toes.

Journal Entries

I worn steel toe jump boots when I was a Police Officer. They had a lug style sole with a side zipper. The only time I didn't like them was winter time when investigating a traffic accident. Then that steel toe got extremely cold.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    ... and a lot warmer when its freezing outside. you don´t want to use steel caps when you´re out hiking in the icy cold.
    happy trails
    lucky luke

hiking in boots? I would never go back to them, cold weather or not, at least on a through hike. If you are just talking about a day hike in the snow, consider mid top brands that are breathable and flexible. Your feet will be much happier
    Rock Steady (2013 AT Thru-hiker)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++