WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Steel toed boots tend to be heavy. This is because they are made for work environments having overall heavier construction beyond just steel toes. They are overkill even on the rockiest tread for multi day backpacking.

FWIW both the Keen Targhee and Voyaguer already have substantial hard like rubber toe bumper caps. This is one reason I have liked both those shoes in low and mid cuts on rocky travers and off trail hikes of moderate daily mileage and or heavier loads in remote areas.

I like what RangerZ said. Look for ANSI approved fiberglass toed boots that should be lighter wt for work and hiking if money is that tight. Really though a lighter wt hiking shoe can offer major benefits over super heavy work approved boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Steel toed boots tend to be heavy.
    FWIW both the Keen Targhee and Voyaguer already have substantial hard like rubber toe bumper caps.
    The Keen Flint steel toe mid weighs 23.4 oz compared to the similar Voyageur mid that weighs 16.2 oz.
    More walking, less talking.

-

I am going to say no - not any of the many varieties I have tried through my career, at any point in their wear cycle would be appropriate for hiking

if economy is important, a running shoe in the 35$ range would be far superior

I'd check ebay, just set the search for men's boots, hiking or steel toe, used, etc.; a search will pay off with some good deals. You can always make a lower offer, sellers are hungry for deals.

Quote Originally Posted by DanicaShardae201 View Post
    Hey folks,

Yeah I know the request for steel toed hiking boots is a bit weird, but hear me out.
    I like to hike in trail runners but when the weather turns cold or wet, I get out my old pair of waterproof boots from high school that really need to be replaced.
    Jump to now, I just got a job that requires I have steel-toe boots, or at least boots with toe protection. My budget can't justify getting new boots just for hiking, but I can justify spending a bit extra for boots I can use both at the work site and on the trail. Do you all have recommendations for boots that may serve my needs? Online reviews don't really go over this stuff and I don't necessarily trust what companies market as "steel toe hiking boots" without backup confirmation.
    Bonus points: I have flat feet. =(

oh, and budget is $100-$150. I may be able to stretch that if the boots are really worth it, but that's gonna be difficult.

thanks
    An option: there are steel toed boots or work boots with toe protection that aren't steel toed that can be had IF you search for $70-110. Keen Targhees or similar, which IMO are more protective offered in both low and mid cut versions can be had for similar. REALLY, in the big scheme of things like hiking appropriate footwear should not be skimped upon. If your feet aren't happy you aren't going to be hiking for long. Hiking shoes and sleep system are where it pays to get it right in backpacking IMHO. Think about it. You're either in your hiking shoes or your sleep system how many hrs out of each hiking day? Get those two components right even if it means having to cut out or cut down on buying that fancy Ti cookware, stove, $$$UL pack, $$$$ cuben fiber itsy bitsy UL all the rage shelter, planning trips far from home base, splurging on that $$$ jacket, etc.

Come to think of it, I normally don't skimp on shoes for hiking, but I will cheap out on shoes for around the house. I bought a pair of Avia (sp??) lightweight hikers from Wally world... they were around $20. (They are black and orange and didn't even come in a shoebox)
    I hate to say it, but they are darn comfy and really fit me well, I actually like them better than my Merrells and my New Balance. I am a little bit of a shoe snob, but I've done most of my hiking this year in these cheap shoes and they have been great.

Less ridiculous than steel toed hiking boots...Buy a hiking appropriate boots then add these => https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Unisex-Steel-Toe-Guard-5T455?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/5T455_AS01?$smthumb$

Good Luck

Mil surplus boots are tough to beat for low cost options and some of them have steel toes. I've hiked a lot of miles in GI boots with steel toes. After I graduated and started getting a pay check I went out and bought after market boots without the plates (like everyone else I knew.) It can be done, but I don't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    The Keen Flint steel toe mid weighs 23.4 oz compared to the similar Voyageur mid that weighs 16.2 oz.

That's more than 14 oz per pr of wt on a backpackers feet. What do we think the potential consequences? positive negative

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++