WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fishing the ponds in BSP

I'll be at Long Pond for a couple of nights as a base camp in the beginning of July (thanks again to all you guys who helped me pick a spot in my other thread). I'm bringing my pen rod and was wondering what types of lures you've had success with for catching small trout? Since we are backpacking I don't want to bring a lot of gear. Maybe just one for top water and another for below the surface.

For trout I would recommend flies like a mayfly and other small flies. If you're using a spinning reel (as opposed to a fly reel) you'll need a weight to launch the flies to replace the weight of a fly line. I use adjust-a-bubble floats.

bubble.jpg
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

I usually only carry two very small spinning lures, one bright colors and one dark. When they are biting they are not hard to hook and if they aren't it doesn't matter much what you're using.

If possible, I'd suggest using barbless hooks so you can release easily. Nothing wrong with keeping your limit (2 per day) for eating, but if they are biting you'll want to toss a lot of small ones back. Also, rent the canoe even though they will charge too much for it. The best fishing is not accessible from shore and you can keep the canoe in camp since you've paid for it making it easy to get out for dawn/dusk.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    Also, rent the canoe even though they will charge too much for it.
    Baxter charges one dollar per hour for canoe rentals. Seems like a good deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by putts View Post
    Baxter charges one dollar per hour for canoe rentals. Seems like a good deal to me.
    Last time we used the LPP site they hit us up for $8/day in advance for our entire reservation length. I totally agree with you that $1/hour on the honor system paid on the way out the gate was more than reasonable. In this case we paid for multiple days of rental that we didn't need or use because it was too choppy most the of the time we were there. Sorry for not spelling out what I was talking about as maybe that gate ranger was just making crap up that day.

Still, if you want to fish LP, any price is worth it for the canoe was my point.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

++ New Posts ++