WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have a late September start date. I'll handle with my resupplying logistics after Labor Day. No need to panic or put to much effort in. Though having a lot of experience with the Sierra and being familiar with all the resupply options really helps since I don't have to research anything. And I have to deal with things starting to shut down so I can't count on the stores having any stock, so I have to drop/mail my resupplies off for the northern half. You won't have that problem since you are there in prime season.

Typical resupply points for August:

• Tuolumne Meadows - send a box or buy from the tiny store or hitch/take shuttle down into the Valley if the store is empty. The segment to Red's Mdw is short so you don't need a lot of food.
    • Red's Meadow - send a box or buy from the tiny store or take the hourly bus into Mammoth Lakes and go to a real supermarket. Segment to VVR or Muir Trail Ranch is short so once again you don't need a lot of food.
    • VVR - Easier to mail a box then count on getting enough food from their tiny store. This will be a long section that needs a lot of food.
    • Muir Trail Ranch - no option but to send a box and its very expensive and requires special handling (ie. use a bucket instead of a box). Saves you having to carry a day of food compared to VVR, but too much a hassle for my taste.
    • Take a side trail over Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley TH - hitch down into Independence. Some hotels in Independence will shuttle you if you are staying. No cell service at TH but you will have it on the descent down (at least Verizon does). Send a box to PO or buy from the large convience store in town. Or get a longer hitch along Hwy 395 to Lone Pine or Bishop for better shopping. It can be very hard to get a round trip to town from TH in a single day. I usually use this resupply option as I'm lazy about carrying large amounts of food; carry more than 6 days, forget that.

There are other resupply points, but they aren't convenient as they require even more hiking off trail then Kearsarge pass and long hitches.

Other than that, you just need to deal with transportation. At Mt. Whitney, hitch down into Lone Pine. Eastern Sierra Transportation and Yarts bus service the eastern side. You can get all the way to Reno going north bound or eventually get to LA (though not direct). If you want to take the Yarts back to the west through Yosemite to reverse your trip, unless you hitch, it can't be done in a single day with the bus schedule.

Lol OP...I start end of August and just began my official planning two days ago. Still haven't booked a single thing yet. You have PLENTY of time. You're doing the right thing...asking lots of questions and doing lots of research. That will unlock many pieces to the puzzle and reduce that overwhelming feeling you may have.

I've narrowed down my trip out there to either flying into FAT then taking YARTS, or flying into LAX and connecting on a puddle jumper to Merced where I jump on YARTS. Either way, I'm probably arriving in Yosemite after the visitor center closes so I'll have to pick up my permit the morning of my hike. I need to find a place to stay that night.

Return trip, hitch from WP to Lone Pine, ESTA to Reno, then home. Thanks to whoever posted about giving the bus some allowance for being late and planning the flight out of Reno accordingly. I wasn't sure how efficient those buses were.

I'm definitely stopping at VVR...if anything just for that cool boat ride!

Does everyone wear their hiking clothes/shoes while travelling?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++