WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Inexpensive Headlamp

Any suggestion for a rechargeable inexpensive headlamp?

I bought two 220 lumen headlamps, both from Amazon, and both under $10. The Vansky headlamp is the one I use as my main headlamp. It has a 1200 mAh battery, which is quite substantial. Then I added a Tansoren TO1 Torch, which has a bunch of funky attachments I don't use. This second item provides two uses: (1) a backup if something happens to the primary headlamp; and (2) night hiking illumination if I clip it to my pack belt. Light coming from nearly the same location as your eyes doesn't displace shadows of ground-level obstructions far enough to adequately gauge the height of such roots, rocks, and whatnot. A second light from a different position makes things much easier.

VanskyHeadlamp.jpg TansorenTO1-USB.jpg
    The downside to these two items is that they're both only rated IPX4: i.e., merely splash resistant.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    The Vansky headlamp is the one I use as my main headlamp. It has a 1200 mAh battery, which is quite substantial.
    1200 mah is not very substantial. Its average. Its equal to AAA battery in energizer lithium, which is what most put in headlamps. . AAA alkaline are about 800 mah.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-10-2017 at 06:56.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    1200 mah is not very substantial. Its average. Its equal to AAA battery in energizer lithium, which is what most put in headlamps.
    So you're saying that a rechargeable battery which equals the best disposable in capacity, but can be reused 500+ times, is not substantial?

It's not waterproof enough for me.

Thom

So you take 2 lights plus your phone may have a flashlight ? How much Do the 2 lights plus parts weight?

thom

The Vansky headlamp is 71 grams (81 grams with the included USB-to-µUSB cable); the Tansoren TO-1 is 50 grams (leaving all the accessories behind).

Journal Entries

So you're saying that a rechargeable battery which equals the best disposable in capacity, but can be reused 500+ times, is not substantial?
    Exactly

Its normal capacity. The same as any other AAA headlamp.

Rechargeable has pros and cons, but has nothing to do with capacity. Other than that they will degrade over time and lose capacity.

More important, is what the headlamp does with the battery power.

Is it a regulated or non regulated headlamp
    If regulated, how efficient is the circuit...how much energy lost to heat...this can be substantial in some devices

And most of all....parasitic drain....how much charge is lost just not being used over time. Without mechanical disconnect switches...this can be most important characterisitic of all. One of the reasons I use the light I do. By turning housing the battery is disconnected. 5 yrs later...Li battery inside is still 100%. Never have to worry about accidentally turning on in pack. Never have to worry about how much charge is left after sitting. Rechargeables have self-drain rate anyway...energizer Li dont. 10 yrs later they are still fully charged.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-10-2017 at 10:36.

Quote Originally Posted by billisnice View Post
    Any suggestion for a rechargeable inexpensive headlamp?
    1200mAh recharge-able, USB, IPx4 water ingress rating, red LED's as well, 2.2 ounces.

Is ten bucks cheap enough?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15989

Reality is. .... <10 bucks for a headlamp (unless it's on a mega clearance sale or purchased second hand) almost always = junk. I always recommend spending a nickel more and getting a proven, name-brand, product. For $30 (more or less) there are several notable choices. Look at the offerings from Black Diamond, Coast, and Petzl. Plenty of sound, reliable, choices from notable, respected manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    1200mAh recharge-able, USB, IPx4 water ingress rating, red LED's as well, 2.2 ounces.

Is ten bucks cheap enough?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15989
    This looks exactly like the Vansky with the name removed. Same factory, maybe?

Journal Entries

This looks exactly like the Vansky with the name removed. Same factory, maybe?
    I see 3 or 4 " brands " that look like same thing.

220 lumens is a lot if you are just using it at night around others at AT shelters. The Petzl e+lite is good and 25 bucks - like 28 lumens though. Look for a lamp with a RED LIGHT so you can use that for getting up in the middle of the night to hit the privy without waking others or blinding the hikers and bears. There's another brand I like on Amazon a little better for the same price, a little brighter at 40 lumens with a red light too called the Firefly by Bright Medic and it's like $20. Both of those use those round flat batteries that are cheap and light to carry and run forever in 25 to 40 lumen headlamps.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've got a foxelli rechargeable headlamp. couple of neat features including a tilting feature that lets you point light where you need it. think i payed around 25 for it and it weighs 4.4oz

I have a Petzl Tikka R+, which I don't think they make anymore they have a newer version. Rechargeable, program the 2 light modes to the strength you are after, as well as a red light. Had mine for nearly 4 years and still going strong, rain, sleet and snow. I think it's only about 1200m Ahs but I find it last long enough for most night walking, especially if you program the right light strength.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Why rechargeable? The Petzl Elite weighs very little, is waterproof and the battery will last a long time. One battery lasted the entire trail.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Why rechargeable? The Petzl Elite weighs very little, is waterproof and the battery will last a long time. One battery lasted the entire trail.
    You obviously don't walk in the dark if that headlight with 2 button batteries lasted the whole trail. Also I find that I need 80 lumens for night walking.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Agree on the red light. I saw them in shelters for the first time this summer and my next light will definitely have one. My current headlamp is so bright, I had enough light to get out and pee by shining it THROUGH my hand.

Not sure "rechargeable" and "inexpensive" lamps exist, without the bonus adjective of "crappy". I've broken a lot of cheap ones, eventually the battery pack snap-clip breaks, or the clicky angle adjuster does.
    Recently I splurged on the Petzl Aktik, pretty happy with it:
    https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/AC...mps/ACTIK-CORE

1250 mAh, has a red setting, and the full power 320 lumen white is awesome (350 on AAAs). Charging off my Anker means I have 1 power source to rule them all.

Is a battery headlamp better?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++