WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I was actually attempting to clarify the "article" was an opinion piece. NYT has a lot of opinion pieces from right to left and right down the middle. Accept what you want.
    Your words: "the NYT is not responsible for the content of a specific viewpoint..."

I know they call it an opinion piece but the reality isn't that simple. They exercise careful control over what opinions they give to their readers. Calling it an opinion from a non-staff member is just a mechanism to give the appearance of distancing themselves. The Wall Street Journal does this too of course. All I'm saying is don't fall for it so readily. It is all very much propaganda designed to influence. And it works. People will fall for this without doing any research on their own. Telling people they can choose to agree with it or not makes no difference. The effect is the same. People always assume they have the choice, yet propaganda works.

As you may have guessed I see no value in this propaganda piece.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Your words: "the NYT is not responsible for the content of a specific viewpoint..."

I know they call it an opinion piece but the reality isn't that simple. They exercise careful control over what opinions they give to their readers. Calling it an opinion from a non-staff member is just a mechanism to give the appearance of distancing themselves. The Wall Street Journal does this too of course. All I'm saying is don't fall for it so readily. It is all very much propaganda designed to influence. And it works. People will fall for this without doing any research on their own. Telling people they can choose to agree with it or not makes no difference. The effect is the same. People always assume they have the choice, yet propaganda works.

As you may have guessed I see no value in this propaganda piece.
    Apparently.

The local newspaper, the Bangor Daily News has been printing pro National Park/Pro National Monument guess editorials just about full time since the project was announced. There is no attempt at opposing viewpoints.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Darn I don't have edit privileges (haven't since the convenient pay pal option to donate went away)
    That might have been corrected.

I cannot rember the details, but I can confirm making my donation in April using PayPal -- not sure if it was with the cash balance I have with them or with PayPal serving as an intermediary between my visa and WhiteBlaze, however.

Thanks, pay pal worked. I am now a contributing member again

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    That might have been corrected.

I cannot rember the details, but I can confirm making my donation in April using PayPal -- not sure if it was with the cash balance I have with them or with PayPal serving as an intermediary between my visa and WhiteBlaze, however.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++