WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Anyone else stuffing a Z lite into their Kumo 36?

I just bought a GG Kumo 36 and have found that a Therm-a-rest Z lite fits into the mesh pockets that normally hold the supplied closed foam pad. I'm thinking about swapping out the closed foam pad with the Z lite for the long hall. It fits, albeit snuggly, and provides comfortable support.

20170507_135205@0,3x.jpg20170507_135531@0,3x.jpg

Anyone have long term experience with this? The pack appears plenty sturdy and will likely be fine, but I'm a little worried about busting a seem.

I use a z-lite cut to 4 sections in my gorilla. Works well. No probs. 6 sections was too bulky for me.

I think older GG packs were designed for the z rest pads to fit. I now use the 60" thinlight pad in lieu of the supplied sit pad on my gorilla. That goes under my inflatable pad to protect it from punctures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be careful not to permanently stretch anything out.

Since the stock GG pad is thinner than what you're using aren't you also pushing the load further away from your body? Might change the ride a bit perhaps more noticeable when you're maxing out the volume and wt design specs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'd be careful not to permanently stretch anything out.
    Since the stock GG pad is thinner than what you're using aren't you also pushing the load further away from your body? Might change the ride a bit perhaps more noticeable when you're maxing out the volume and wt design specs.
    I went on a test run with ~20 pounds of gear. No problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    I use a z-lite cut to 4 sections in my gorilla. Works well. No probs. 6 sections was too bulky for me.
    Good idea, I could live with two less sections.

I use the 1/8 inch foam 2.4oz in the back panel and Klymit Junior torso length pad 13oz folded with some left over air in the water pocket on the inside. The air pad cushions my pack contents and the foam provides a good structure against my back. (It flattens and develops folds over time) Together they weigh 15.4 oz which is only 1.4 more than a regular size z-lite. In warm weather I keep the foam pad under the air pad, but in cold or on snow, I overlap them so that my legs aren't cold. An additional benefits is that the foam pad also keeps my air pad from sliding around on my groundsheet.

I have the Murmur and anything I've put in the sleeve behind my back always got bunched up and never stayed flat, including the 1/8 inch foam pad cut to torso length. I noticed other people using the provided butt pad having this same issue as well. I've since decided to use nothing there at all and it is more flat and comfortable now than before. I am currently using the x-lite torso inflatable pad (6.1 oz) but I keep it in its stuff sack on the outside mesh pocket. They say you can inflate it somewhat and use it against your back but I'm not so sure that would be a good idea. On warmer nights in flat grounds I prefer just to sleep directly on the ground. I think if you aren't pushing over 20 pounds your pack should hold up but don't put your tent poles inside that's how I ripped mine. You have to baby these packs somewhat and try to go as light as possible. I'm currently trying to reach 15 total weight that's a liter of water and food for 3-4 days. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

For anyone stumbling upon this post in the future, the Kumo 36 works well with all eight sections of the Z lite small.
    There does appear to be some wear-and-tear, not on the Kumo, but instead on the corners of the Z lite. Just some minor curling and fraying. My z lite is already five or six years old. Perhaps just natural aging combined with rough handling.
    The extra padding feels a bit funny at first, but it is comfortable with my 'max' load of ~20 pounds. Lighter loads are a breeze. I haven't experienced any excessive bunching, just a slight bulge. I quickly develop a sweaty back with this combo.
    Inserting the Z lite with the yellow side facing your back is preferred (opposite of what is shown in my original photos). This allows for easy access to the corners of the pad and therefore easier loading. It might also cut down on the wear-and-tear that I observed in the beginning. Time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by theory View Post
    I think if you aren't pushing over 20 pounds your pack should hold up but don't put your tent poles inside that's how I ripped mine. You have to baby these packs somewhat and try to go as light as possible. I'm currently trying to reach 15 total weight that's a liter of water and food for 3-4 days. Good luck!
    Thankfully, I don't have tent poles, so this hasn't been an issue. I have a similar weight target, but with fewer days of food. At 15 pounds this is a great pack!

I keep 6 sections of the Z Rest & have done so for about 5 years with no problem.

I would not be comfortable with a back pad that thick. For my pack that would also drastically shorten the shoulder straps and mess up the way it fits.

With my Zero I am using a cheap sit pad I got thru Amazon and it works fine. I also use the Inertia x-lite air mat but there is no chance it will work with this pack because there are no pockets to contain it.

Sit_Pad_Zero.jpg

Back also gets very wet from perspiration but that's going to happen no matter what, especially this time of the year. Recently I've gone back to the Arc Blast for the back ventilation and the Duplex because of the bugs. Got eaten alive a couple of weeks ago.

++ New Posts ++