WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

LOL!
    It's all good.
    I've seen the light. No more step for step plans advertised online.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Hanging repeatedly on the same trees in area of a shelter would damage them. A trees life is in the cambium, just under the bark. Girdling the tree will kill it, even with 2" web with repeated use over time on same trees.

The forces generated by hammocks are huge, particularly when people plop onto them.
    10,000-30,0000 lbs. A small pole wouldnt last, or be safe. This is also why not allowed to hang on shelters.

A small area has been designated sacrificial for shelters to protect area along AT. Thats it. People dont sleep in hammocks at home, they dont have to sleep in one in gsmnp. Please cite one good reason , why special expensive efforts or environmental concessions should be made for a small user group that wants to do things their favorite way.

Because there are hundreds of such small groups. You cant fixate on one.
    Wow you really seem to be into LNT. Do you pack out your own CO2?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Hanging repeatedly on the same trees in area of a shelter would damage them. A trees life is in the cambium, just under the bark. Girdling the tree will kill it, even with 2" web with repeated use over time on same trees.
    The forces generated by hammocks are huge, particularly when people plop onto them.
    10,000-30,0000 lbs. A small pole wouldnt last, or be safe. This is also why not allowed to hang on shelters.
    A small area has been designated sacrificial for shelters to protect area along AT. Thats it. People dont sleep in hammocks at home, they dont have to sleep in one in gsmnp. Please cite one good reason , why special expensive efforts or environmental concessions should be made for a small user group that wants to do things their favorite way.

Because there are hundreds of such small groups. You cant fixate on one.
    Im not fixated on anything. I'm just saying that allowing hammocks isn't the same as running power. I hammocked in GA pretty much my entire section hike and it cost no one anything except me. No one stood a poll up for me. I won't cite anything because I don't believe any effort is necessary to accommodate hammocks. As for forces on a tree, show me some damage reports of trees dying along the AT due to hammocks and I might take your concerns more seriously. I will, however, give some credit to the notion given the volume of hikers in the GSMNP damage might be a concern from repeated use at the same location. But it is now with shelters.

Frankly, the park doesn't sound very inviting. You can't hammock and you virtually can't tent camp either.

Images

You can't hammock and you virtually can't tent camp either.

there are 104 campsites in the Park.....

of those---only 15 don't allow tent or hammocks.....and all of those are shelters...

that leaves 89 other places to tent and hammock......

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post

of those---only 15 don't allow tent or hammocks.....and all of those are shelters...

i don't want to argue, but can you tell me how many of those campsites are adjacent to the AT. I know I could look it up, but you have the info close at hand. Also are any of those close to the AT on the list that don't allow tents/hammocks.
    Blackheart

Images

I should have included the whole paragraph I was quoting

which was

Frankly, the park doesn't sound very inviting. You can't hammock and you virtually can't tent camp either.

so i responded with plenty of other places within the Park that are inviting.....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    i don't want to argue, but can you tell me how many of those campsites are adjacent to the AT. I know I could look it up, but you have the info close at hand. Also are any of those close to the AT on the list that don't allow tents/hammocks.
    One. Campsite 113. Frequently closed due to bear activity. You can drop off the ridge and hit more but really it's always quite a bit of Vertical

The only practical way to hang the AT would be to thru hike the required distance to get a thru hike percent and go during the bubble. Not assured that the shelter will be full but if crowded enough it will be. Ironically to intensify usage would be the only way to do that.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    One. Campsite 113. Frequently closed due to bear activity. You can drop off the ridge and hit more but really it's always quite a bit of Vertical

The only practical way to hang the AT would be to thru hike the required distance to get a thru hike percent and go during the bubble. Not assured that the shelter will be full but if crowded enough it will be. Ironically to intensify usage would be the only way to do that.

Thanks, It has been a while since I have been to GSMNP. Parents use to go there all the time and the older I got, the more burned out I got. I remember how beautiful it is. May have to drop down for a week or so and get my fix.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    Cool! That's good to know.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    It's not practical to do a thru hike in the Smokies and expect to hang unless you go during the bubble.

With the exception of the previously mentioned Campsite #113 (~4 miles north of Fontana Dam), all the camping along the AT in GSMNP is at shelters. No other campsites are within two miles of the AT, and none that are less than a 1,500' elevation decent off the AT.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    It's not practical to do a thru hike in the Smokies and expect to hang unless you go during the bubble.

With the exception of the previously mentioned Campsite #113 (~4 miles north of Fontana Dam), all the camping along the AT in GSMNP is at shelters. No other campsites are within two miles of the AT, and none that are less than a 1,500' elevation decent off the AT.
    Thanks, I kind of figured that the way it is. I was hoping to hold out on the shelter spot until the last minute and or give up my spot to a late arrival.
    Blackheart

No answer to your question. As I recall, the smokies were mostly logging land. But, we can't do so much as lean against a tree now.

http://www.tnmagazine.org/before-the...ere-clear-cut/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++