WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Dang. I plan to stay at Story Spring next month! Those lazy, irresponsible hikers are endangering ME!
    We stayed at Story Spring on our third night. It's a lovely area, and the spring is beautiful. There were only 4 hikers that night, two AT thru-hikers in the shelter and us, tented way back behind it. There were several excellent tent sites.

I do remember a couple of perfect trees for PCT-style hangs out in front of the shelter across a small clearing. Very tall with good side branches, not the usual tiny tree selection. (I recall this because one of the AT thru-hikers spent a while attempting to get his line over one of the branches, and I somehow nailed mine on the first throw. )
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Yes there's a bear in the area spent the night in kid gore shelter. I got in just before dusk this past weekend. The bear showed up about 5 minutes later as a couple of hikers were cooking made barking noises and bear went out towards privy to ledge several yards away sat and watched us then took off. Properly hung food bags and cleaned dishes, had no problems the rest of the night. Packed out two fully made mountain house type meals left at stratton pond shelter. Poor hiker etiquette. Bear boxes are pad locked In the areas that had them because of trash being left in them

Registered User Purposeful Wandering's Avatar

Great...I'm staying there in a few days. Anyone know if there are decent trees for hanging my food bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Purposeful Wandering View Post
    Great...I'm staying there in a few days. Anyone know if there are decent trees for hanging my food bag?
    If you see bigcranky's post above he describes decent trees for hanging your food bag at Story Spring.

On a GMC Facebook page I saw a post by someone describing decent trees for hanging your food bag at Kid Gore.

I had the same question - so when I saw those two posts it made me feel better. Have a nice hike!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Registered User Purposeful Wandering's Avatar

Thank you! I just read it. Makes me feel a little better too.

Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++