WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How much $ did you spend from end to end?

Resupply/lodging/shuttles and and in-town meals.

Not including gear gear and transportation to and from terminus.

A friend who has never thru hiked before is down to buy the gear, instead of estimates I want to tell her what other people have spent.

Thanks, this forum is awesome. And I hope this question will help other people while planning.

+ I did find this: http://www.longtrailvermont.com/expe...he-long-trail/
    But honestly it wasn't much help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was a few years ago,

I spent $75 to spend a night at a B+B in Jefferson, another $150 for a night in a B+B in Waitsfield (but $50 of that was just for dinner!), $50 for a night at the Inn at the Long Trail + $30 for dinner and beer, then $20 at the Green Mountain Hostel in Manchester Center. Probably another $200 for food, but that could have been more. So, all together that was about $500.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

<$300 including transportation (greyhound bus) to/from the termini. in 2006.

This is my estimate from my 2013 thru. $150 for taxi from Burlington airport to northern terminus. About $50 in Stowe for resupply and dinner. About $150 in Rutland/Inn at Long Trail for lodging, meals, and resupply. About $100 in Manchester Center for resupply, meals, lodging at Green Mt hostel. About $100 in Williamstown for lodging and meals.
    More walking, less talking.

I believe I spent about $150 in total a few years ago, all on food. I had no maildrops, so purchased all of my food in town and of course ate in town as well. A lot of the cost depends on how long one is out there and how often one stays at a hostel/hotel. If simply hiking and staying on the trail, and with reasonable town stops, the LT can be quite inexpensive.

I haven't begin to crunch numbers yet...and I'm not even planning a through
    but just based on watching a few through hiker channels on youtube....but I'm really surprised by these numbers. Seem really light. I would think these folks are easily spending bore the $150-$200 at McDonald stops and snickers bars. I can't imagine buying 6 months worth of groceries for that...not even counting the fast food and other eating out....

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I haven't begin to crunch numbers yet...and I'm not even planning a through
    but just based on watching a few through hiker channels on youtube....but I'm really surprised by these numbers. Seem really light. I would think these folks are easily spending bore the $150-$200 at McDonald stops and snickers bars. I can't imagine buying 6 months worth of groceries for that...not even counting the fast food and other eating out....
    They're just talking the Long Trail in Vermont, B2. 3-4 weeks, not 6 months, and there aren't many McDonald's along the way!

++ New Posts ++