Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What it seems you R doing is a south north American Discover type experience which as othere have said cam be ameneed for a touring bike experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    Walk across America by Peter Jenkins?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete...travel_author)
    It took several years.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Don't let all these people discourage you from hiking! The Eastern Continental Trail goes from Florida to Newfoundland, and plenty of people have done it. Like I said, I'm doing it starting January 1st. From what I understand (and I'm still doing research to get an exact route), It's a Florida Keys road walk, the Florida National Scenic Trail (which I believe involves a small amount of roadwalking), then more roadwalking up into Alabama, get on the Pinhoti Trail which brings you into Georgia, a little more roadwalking to connect to part of the Benton McKaye Trail, and I'm not sure if that brings you right to Springer Mtn or if it's a little more roadwalking to get there. Totally feasible on your own two feet. Very high mileage in Florida and Alabama because it's basically flat, and then your legs are in pretty decent shape by the time you get to Georgia. Message me so we can talk about it more!

The Pinhoti connects to the BMT. At the junction you can take the BMT to Springer or to GSMNP.

It sure sounded like the OP was looking to road walk from KW to/into Canada. Might be nice to know what the heck one's anticipated path is before embarking on a 3000 mile PLUS INTERNATIONAL journey hey? Or, should everyone anticipating such a journey just wing it, just go for it making it up as one goes along?

I thought I remembered seeing a connection, or nearly so, of the FL Trail to the Pinhoti...no?
    so... FL to Pinhoti to BMT to AT

Thru-hiking the ECT is more like a 6000 plus mile walk. There is a good length road walk as said in AL.

Hop, how many people have thru hiked the ECT that you say "many" have done it?

Jupiter went from Cap Gaspe, Quebec to Key West, about 4800 miles, in 205 days. This is not technically the entire ECT. However, in 2012, Sterling Coleman went from L'Anse-aux-Meadows, Newfoundland to Key West, 5470 miles in 247 days (this requires taking a ferry from Cap Gaspe to PEI, then to Nova Scotia, then from there up to Newfoundland and Labrador). Jupiter estimates about 1 completion per year since the first person did it (I believe in 1997?)...and that's just the people who've decided to write about it (no I'm not saying there are A LOT more). Also, I'm not sure if Jupiter is considering a 4800 mile hike as "the whole thing.." He might, because maybe he considers it the end when you can no longer go further without using a vehicle (a boat)...but Sterling did the entire International Appalachian Trail, which ends in Newf.

I know of 2 people who are doing it this year. One is finishing in Quebec and she just recently crossed the NH/ME border. The other is also nobo and somewhere in WV/MD/PA, and I'm not sure where he specifically plans on stopping.

You also misquoted me, I said plenty, not many. "Plenty" is much more subjective. So yeah, 1 or 2 per year is plenty for me.

Thank you all so much for your input... I guess I have some more reading to do!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++