Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone want to hike from Key West to Katahdin with me?

I was planning for around Jan 1 or earlier in order to get to the start of the AT at a decent time, may try to hike all the way into CA if I'm fast enough to beat the cold. Will need to hike long days. There is the Florida
    Keys Overseas trail, then roadwalking to the Florida Trail, then a whole lot of road walk. I hear the FT is pretty intense and the machineel tree and gators are getting into my head at the moment ..So one idea is to hike the FL trail up to white springs, then roadwalk to springer. Another idea is hiking along the coast of FL , turning nearly the whole thing into a roadwalk. Looking to form a group! Or people to hike sections with. Any help is appreciated!

Is this a paid position ? :-)
    Let me go

Good luck. Nothing sucks more then a long road walk in the hot sun, breathing exhaust fumes, dodging trucks and distracted drivers.

A better (and much faster) way to do something like that is on a bicycle. There is something called the "East Coast Green way" which is a bike path from the Keys to near the Canadian boarder on the coast of Maine. It connects various "rail to trail" and bike paths into a more or less continues path.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Back in the Stone Age I read a book. A real book printed on paper. Written by a young man who hiked across the USA. On roads. I think he spent 3 years to complete the journey. He stopped for winters and worked to earn money for the next section.
    Trail runners won't last on roads or road shoulders.
    Key West to Maine by bicycle is more realistic.
    Wayne

Nimblewill Nomad did it.....Wrote a book about it (I think)

https://nimblewillnomad.com/about/
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Super helpful thanks! I'll check that out

Thanks for the biking idea...
    I'm willing to suffer, like the heat, and can change shoes often. I'm not letting the idea go yet :P

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Is this a paid position ? :-)
    hows $1 a day haha!

Journal Entries

I met a guy once at a campground that was retired, and spent his time walking around US. He seemed to enjoy it immensely.

Id rather not be on roads myself

Default Anyone want to hike from Key West to Katahdin with me?

I'm scared of bears but I'm a lot more scared of drivers!

Journal Entries

Guy by the name of Jupiter hiked the from Canada to the Keys last year would be good to contact him. He did a decent amount of road walking but he also hiked the pinhotti trail between Florida trail and Springer as well as probably another trail or two between. Search Jupiterhikes in google his blog will come up

Images

Guy named Stumpknocker has done the FT and the AT several (?) times. Trail journals dot com has his journals.

Good luck.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

This is very goood advice !

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Good luck. Nothing sucks more then a long road walk in the hot sun, breathing exhaust fumes, dodging trucks and distracted drivers.

A better (and much faster) way to do something like that is on a bicycle. There is something called the "East Coast Green way" which is a bike path from the Keys to near the Canadian boarder on the coast of Maine. It connects various "rail to trail" and bike paths into a more or less continues path.

I wonder if you would want to use some of Adventure Cycling/Bike Centennial's east coast routes for your road walking.

https://www.adventurecycling.org

There is also a developing route that uses rail trail that crosses SC from maybe Savannah or Charleston up to Greenville. Palmetto Trail? Connect that to the foothills trail, bartram trail, to the AT.

I'm planning on doing the same thing! I follow a few people on Instagram...one is jupiterhikes and he did it last year SOBO...another guy jrbordash is going NOBO this year but he's going all the way to Canada. But yeah...my plan is to start in key west on January 1st. Sticking to the Florida trail, some road walking to get to alabama's Benton McKay trail, the pinhoti trail which goes from Alabama into Georgia and I believe right to springer mtn. My dog, Kevin, will be joining me about halfway through Florida (what with all the critters in the south, I don't wanna take that risk with him). I would love to talk to you more!

I need to update my bucket list.

Images

Walk across America by Peter Jenkins?
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

BMT doesn't go into Alabama. It does connect with the pinhole though.

Did this but in sections with only a minimal road walking as Nimble will Nomad did it 90 plus percent on named trail. Roadway king from KW to Mt katahdin is something entirely different than what Nimble will or myself did.

Not pinhole Pinhoti Tr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++