WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

I find the dichotomy here interesting:

a. Our trails suck and that's the way we want them, so you pansies can just stay away.

b. Why, oh why, can't we get more people outside to appreciate the wilderness and want to preserve it?

Me: I slogged and cursed and trudged and whined and toiled and bitched and plodded and moaned about the NE Trail a LOT. I was convinced the first trail-blazers put the Trail into a place to make it as difficult and dangerous as possible. Yes, dangerous. I was further convinced that the maintainers who came after had no desire to make the Trail any easier than when it was first laid out.

Still am.

BUT I followed each and every white blaze to the end, regardless of Trail placement.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

In totality? Sure, it could be a bit dangerous. But if I'm standing still and take one step forward, was that dangerous? Watch your step, falls are the bane of hikers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post

Me: I slogged and cursed and trudged and whined and toiled and bitched and plodded and moaned

BUT I followed each and every white blaze to the end, regardless of Trail placement.
    that how i feel about every hike i've ever taken south of SNP, every time i turn at the 25th switchback and look up hill to see the trail i hiked 2 miles ago looking at me from 50 yards away.

I don't think it is a gag. I belong to a facebook group for local trails and somebody posted that they had hiked a trail they thought was dangerous and wanted hand rails put up along the trail where it ran along a high bluff. And they weren't even kidding. The funny part was that I was the only one who argued that (1) handrails weren't necessary (2) we need to preserve what few wild places there are left and (3) if you aren't into wilderness hiking then stick to your city park. Admin of the group told me that my comments were inappropriate. Most others in the group agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Just wanted to add, they also believe they have the only true winters also.
    That's just human nature. Every region has individuals who likes to "bad weather brag" in their folksy and inaccurate way. Every state has the phrase "if you don't like (insert name of state) weather. wait a minute!"

Then you get the media overstating/overselling storm forecasts and every region likes to jump on someone else trying to feel superior. Let's laugh at those wimpy New Englanders who can't handle a few feet of snow! A foot of snow and Washington shuts down! There are those mid westerners whining about an ice storm again!

So no, there is no general "they." People are just people, and whatever the region, they don't share a hive mind.

That said, the White Mountains are a crowded mess, so apparently a whole lot of people like the state of the trails. If they chose to level the trails into a boring uniformity, would the crowds increase, or decrease? My opinion is to leave them alone. There are a hundred other choices of trails and mountains I can choose each week and avoid the crowds and the parking mess. I can always find a trail that suits my abilities and fitness level.

If anyone wants to avoid a difficult trail, it's absurdly easy to choose a different trail. For those who enjoy the challenge of a steep rocky trail, it would be a shame to dynamite them into conformity just because some people can no longer handle certain stretches of trail.
    Last edited by Puddlefish; 06-17-2017 at 15:20.

The whites aren't a crowded mess, certain trails to 4ks are but there are plenty who are quite underused.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The whites aren't a crowded mess, certain trails to 4ks are but there are plenty who are quite underused.
    The Trails to the Presidentials are a crowded mess...especially on a sunny day, or weekend.

I agree that a lot of trails in The Whites are under utilized. The places I go, I very rarely see another hiker. And no, I'm not saying where. I like the solitude and the ruggedness. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    A little blasting? The Appalachians are solid granite. Not that volcanic ash mixture they call rock out west. The Appalachians are the bones of the Earth. The Rockies and Sierras, in comparison, is a makeup foundation with some snowy glitter.
    You just won the internet!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    Few years ago I did a section of ga in march. Met a "thru hiker " who complained about all the rocks that hadn't been groomed from the trail. He had already mailed all his food caches of lentils. He was disgusted by hawk mountain and quit before neels gap.

There are a lot of lentils in post offices right now.

And, perhaps, in hiker boxes too.

I keep running into beans in hiker boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Every state has the phrase "if you don't like (insert name of state) weather. wait a minute!"
    Every state in New England (from whence the Samuel Clemens saying arose), certainly. In my current state (California), I've never heard this phrase applied.

I have and do hike the northeast.

This is a prime example of the condescending attitude and pride that this community takes in their "special" trails.

I just wish they would admit that the trails are as they are, because that is the way they WANT them, not because that is the way they HAVE to be.
    I mean no condescension in my comment in response to your comment. I respect the decision to avoid trails if you dislike either the trail difficulty or those who embrace them at a level you find offensive. Staying away from these areas, as you opined yourself, is a good solution.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Every state in New England (from whence the Samuel Clemens saying arose), certainly. In my current state (California), I've never heard this phrase applied.

http://ask.metafilter.com/271943/If-...wait-5-minutes

The point is that people everywhere use hyperbole, it's not simply a New England thing, it's a human thing. Clearly I was using hyperbole when I said every state, I should have said "most" every state.

Just like every state I've ever lived in claims that the mosquito is their state bird.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Just like every state I've ever lived in claims that the mosquito is their state bird.
    Not quite true. Maine claims the blackfly, and Connecticut claims the WASP.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    That's just human nature. Every region has individuals who likes to "bad weather brag" in their folksy and inaccurate way. Every state has the phrase "if you don't like (insert name of state) weather. wait a minute!"
    According to unsubstantiated local legend, Mr. Clemens' actual quote was "If you don't like the weather, go back to where you came from."
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I just wish they would admit that the trails are as they are, because that is the way they WANT them, not because that is the way they HAVE to be.
    Actually, if you study the geology and terrain, the trails are the way they are because they HAVE to be. The glaciers scored out steep sides and placed big rocks in the way. There is only so much which can be done to make it easy to get to the top of many of our mountains.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I found it disgraceful they used the word disgraceful when rooty or rocky would have conveyed the point.

But not really...meh

Here, here!

All AT trails should be closed until they meet the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 guidelines. Just my two cents...................

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++