WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First MYOG Backpack (my design)

Hey everyone! I wanted to share this project that I have been working on. Just an fyi, i duplicate posted this on bpl as well.

I finally got around to finishing the backpack I made. Several months back I gained interest in MYOG and seeing as my mother had a perfectly capable sewing machine, it simply made sense. I purchased a Ray-Way backpack kit and painstakingly and made my way step by step through the process. I learned a whole lot while making that bag about the frustrating yet rewarding nature of MYOG. I took the techniques and skills learned and started my own project. This new pack I consider completely my own as I made all the patterns/measurements myself. I suppose it is actually my second pack behind the rayway kit though.

[COLOR=#000000 !important]I based this pack off an MLD Burn that I recently obtained and made slight changes here and there including taking in the overall dimensions. Here are some in progress steps. Any questions, feel free to ask![/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]The Pack is made from materials obtained at ripstopbytheroll.com and questoutfitters.com.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]I used HyperD 300 in orange for the pack backpanel, wrap around bottom, shoulder straps, and hipbelt strap/padding. Hex70 in white for the front panel, side panels, and roll top.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]The pack weighs in at 10.9oz without the MLD hipbelt pockets or foam backpanel. 14.9oz with pockets and foam backpanel/sitpad.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]The first couple pics have some in progress pics of chalk bags I made for climbing.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]https://ibb.co/fM6ZyF[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]I wasn’t 100% on how much the power mesh would stretch so that is why I pleated it. In the future, I would not pleat it and sew it flat to the panel for a much nicer appearance. If I wanted to, I could “fix” the pleat but I think it will be fine.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000 !important][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]Again, let me know if you have any questions![/COLOR]

Journal Entries

Looks complicated, but I think you had fun.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Looks complicated, but I think you had fun.
    Indeed! Way more fun considering it was my own design/feature set than the rayway pack. After learning the frustrations of sewing and the sewing machine through experience, it is getting easier and less frustrating with each new product I make. I took my time with the pack and made it over a few weeks a little bit at a time. I made a quilt two weekends ago and did it in a total of about 4-6 hours.

To those who are getting into MYOG/DIY stuff, it is very frustrating at first but once you get over that learning curve, it becomes way easier and less frustrating. I can't stress enough the importance of starting on simple stuff sacks. Seams, straight stitching, and overall sewing/design techniques can all be learned with a simple stuff sack due to the many (MANY) ways to go about sewing one. Just do a simple youtube search for diy stuff sacks and you'll see that Almost all videos show a slightly different technique.

A thing of beauty! Well done.

++ New Posts ++