Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I'll reiterate what Bronk said. Dont camp near roads. Yes, being all alone in the woods at night can be unnerving. You'll get over it. As for the wildlife, at least here in the east, no worries if you stash your food properly and keep your camp clean, etc. Better yet, don't camp where you cook. Don't dwell on the forest creatures. They might be after your food - and that is worthy of your concern - but they're not out to eat you.

Journal Entries

Another consideration is changing clothes in the dark. If you turn on any light at all, you will cast a silhouette that doesn't leave much to the imagination and no I'm not a pervert, just had to shut a few childish hikers. When they were asked if they wanted people talking about their mother, wife, girlfriend or sister like they were very silent afterwards.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Another consideration is changing clothes in the dark. If you turn on any light at all, you will cast a silhouette that doesn't leave much to the imagination and no I'm not a pervert, just had to shut a few childish hikers. When they were asked if they wanted people talking about their mother, wife, girlfriend or sister like they were very silent afterwards.
    Yeah, men are pigs. A smart lady should exploit that and do a pay-per view...earn some trail money.

Great post lumba!

how did you get your trail name?

Thanks, there's lots of great posts here and I hope OP is feeling a little more at ease.

It's a goofy nickname from my husband that was just easy to type. Not an official trail name... yet.

I've hiked alone many times, and even now I still afraid of sleeping alone in the woods. I can give you some advice, maybe it would be helpful.

1) You should go up to other campers and ask questions like “How can I contact you if I had a problem?”. Ask for the phone number of whoever there.
    2) Make sure you have your phone with you at all times and it is charged.
    3) Avoid camping in isolated areas and walking alone at night.
    4) Take a pepper spray or electric shocker or something like this.
    5) Relax. Read a novel before going to sleep. But don't fall asleep in headphones!

Not a female. To anyone you meet on the trail you can always give the impression you are part of a larger group who are behind you.

I remember the first couple times I backpacked overnight alone. I swear the sound of bears were near, but were squirrels instead. That was 2 years ago when I took to backpacking, hiking and hunting solo. After nearly 30 solo trips, I feel empowered....stronger.
    Oh, and I do carry bear spray always with me. While I’ve had two close bear encounters, I keep the bear spray for “special protection” against an unwanted intruder.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++