WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Going Out This Week Almost SUL

Here's my kit for 80 miles Buena Vista to Daleville. Base weight is between 5-6 lbs depending on how I measure it. Skin-out is 9.4 lbs. 8.8 lbs of food (3.5 days) and 1.5 liters water. Total skin out fully loaded weight is 18.2 lbs. I swapped the Aqua Mira for a bleach dropper. Going to try that and see how it goes. I'm purposely shorting calories. I could stand to lose 15 lbs. I plan to run lean...

IMG_3205.jpgIMG_3206.jpg

8.8 pounds of food seems like a lot for 3.5 days, even stove less and wanting to loose weight. But since it looks like it will be wicked hot next week, you'll sweat it all off :-)
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    8.8 pounds of food seems like a lot for 3.5 days, even stove less and wanting to loose weight. But since it looks like it will be wicked hot next week, you'll sweat it all off :-)
    5.6 food -- 8.8 includes 1.5 l h20 and 6 5 hr energies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lighterpack would be fun to see if you have it.

Gear list?

Mmmmm Cheetos....

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    Gear list?

This is pretty close: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...uTSLiuXM2LIPgM

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    This is pretty close: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...uTSLiuXM2LIPgM

Do you carry a bug bivy of some kind?

I see this is a summer list, but having only a windbreaker for extra clothing is downright dangerous.

Also, you're carrying 10oz of 5-hour energy shots?
    Last edited by The Kisco Kid; 06-12-2017 at 11:40.
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Quote Originally Posted by The Kisco Kid View Post
    I see this is a summer list, but having only a windbreaker for extra clothing is downright dangerous.
    It is going to be really hot this week, but a pop up thunderstorm can cool you off real quick for an hour or so. That's when I find having a poncho handy.

Well, if he wants to do 80 miles in 3.5 days, he might need the energy drinks...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hot, humid and energy drinks? I really hope that does not go south for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    Do you carry a bug bivy of some kind?

No. It was buggy but not terrible. I'm getting fed up with shelters -- I slept in my tarp setup 2 out 3 nights on this hike and the one night I tried sleeping in a shelter I was forced out onto the picnic table by a horrible snorer. The point is, I might go back to a tent and/or add a bug bivy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kisco Kid View Post

I disagree about your assertion that my clothing was "dangerous." I was never even the slightest bit chilly. I hiked through one storm, getting completely soaked, but it was sweet relief from the heat and humidity. I sat out a second storm shelter.

My 40 degree synthetic quilt is my "extra" clothing and hypothermia safety item. Really no need for "extra" clothing on an 80 mile 3 day high-summer southern AT section. The low temperature was probably 67 degrees. The idea of somehow staying dry is ludicrous. The humidity was running at 80-90% and the temp at 85-90. I was soaked from perspiration prior to getting rinsed by the rain.

The 5 hr Energy is my coffee. On future hikes I will probably combine the small bottles into one large bottle to save some space and weight, but I'll have to be careful about overdosing.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithereens View Post
    What do you mean?

For those who might be interested I got on the trail at Rt. 60 at about 2 pm and hiked approx 11 miles to Punch Bowl. Day 2 I did 31 miles to Cornelius Creek. Day 3 I got slowed down waiting out thunderstorms and did approx 18 miles from Cornelius Creek to about 3 miles past Wilson Creek. Day four I finished up the 16 miles to Daleville, arriving at Route 220 by about 11:30 a.m. -- I was walking at 5:30 a.m. and booked it down the mountain. Here's the gallery: https://goo.gl/photos/gZxNoWSQuWabP7pi9

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    No. It was buggy but not terrible. I'm getting fed up with shelters -- I slept in my tarp setup 2 out 3 nights on this hike and the one night I tried sleeping in a shelter I was forced out onto the picnic table by a horrible snorer. The point is, I might go back to a tent and/or add a bug bivy.
    First, congrats on your section! Looks like it was a lot of fun. I checked out the photo link on your blog.

I was up in the Adirondacks with friends and the bugs would have eaten us alive without bug net of some sort. I slathered on DEET morning, noon and night—and then some!—and still ended up with a lot of itchy welts. I was using a Borah bug bivy and I think some of the bites were right thru the bivy net!

Zpacks Solplex is a good option.

But I totally understand your attitude toward shelters. You could not pay me enough to stay in one.

Originally Posted by Smithereens

What do you mean?
    That's internet speak for "it doesn't work for me therefore it won't work for you"

For those who might be interested I got on the trail at Rt. 60 at about 2 pm and hiked approx 12 miles to Punch Bowl. Day 2 I did approx 31 miles to Cornelius Creek. Day 3 I got slowed down waiting out thunderstorms and did approx 24 miles from Cornelius Creek to about 3 miles past Bobblets Gap. Day four I finished up the approx 16 miles to Daleville, arriving at Route 220 by about 11:30 a.m. -- I was walking at 5:30 a.m. and booked it down the mountain. Here's the gallery: https://goo.gl/photos/gZxNoWSQuWabP7pi9

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    That's internet speak for "it doesn't work for me therefore it won't work for you"
    Ahh... I like the 5HE... would like to find something in powder form.... I'm sure it's out there... Might try a concentrated instant coffee "shot." Or just cold coffee.

No stove in summer for me.

If it's just for the caffeine jolt, one of the instant espressos such as Cafe Bustelo or Medaglia d'Oro might work for that.

I just need one strong cup in the morning and I'm good to go... I used to drink a lot more but my gastroenterologist recently did a video tour of my innards and said I need to cut way back, lol. Also, no more cigars and JD, which really hurt!

But I like a hot breakfast and dinner.

During the day I get the biggest boost from the original Power Bars (gobs of maltodextrin) and add in a couple of other things for variety. I like your Cheetos, cookies and peanut butter crackers. I make a mix with Fritos, sesame sticks, peanuts and pretzels, and sprinkle on some chili powder and cayenne and shake it all up in a gallon ziploc. A little more interest for the palette.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++