WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    If it's just for the caffeine jolt, one of the instant espressos such as Cafe Bustelo or Medaglia d'Oro might work for that.

I just need one strong cup in the morning and I'm good to go... I used to drink a lot more but my gastroenterologist recently did a video tour of my innards and said I need to cut way back, lol. Also, no more cigars and JD, which really hurt!

But I like a hot breakfast and dinner.

During the day I get the biggest boost from the original Power Bars (gobs of maltodextrin) and add in a couple of other things for variety. I like your Cheetos, cookies and peanut butter crackers. I make a mix with Fritos, sesame sticks, peanuts and pretzels, and sprinkle on some chili powder and cayenne and shake it all up in a gallon ziploc. A little more interest for the palette.
    I got sick of the Cheetos pretty quick. Next time I'll take just a few of the small snack size bags. Need to find something else for "dinner."

Looks like you had a good trip. Enjoyed the photos.

Also, how did you like the ZPacks pocket tarp?

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Also, how did you like the ZPacks pocket tarp?
    The pocket tarp is cool. It's virtually weightless. It pitches very easily and is easy to keep taught. I'm 6'4 and can sit cross-legged in it. I have the bathtub floor and that hooks to the tarp so it's easy to keep pad/quilt fairly clean and off the ground.

It would be pretty hard to stay very dry if it were raining more than a light drizzle. I'd have to pitch it low and then wouldn't be able to sit up. I'm starting to think Altaplex. I just hate to carry a tent if I'm not going to use it. The pocket tarp/bathtub floor offers a lot of other possible uses that a tent doesn't, BUT the Altaplex would be way dryer/cleaner and bugless.

I had a silnylon Skyscape Trekker but wasn't crazy about the two-pole system (wasn't worth the trouble) and also regretted carrying it and not using it (because I cowboyed or slept in a shelter). I'm about ready to swear off of shelters so that would make carrying a tent again more sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    What do you mean?
    Heat stress, physical exertion and stimulants are a bad combination. I've seen young, healthy guys just completely crash from that combination. I think mostly it's the dehydration, but we have had two guys fall out with irregular heart beats. Energy drinks have been banned where I work, but there are coolers full of cold, bottled water everywhere you turn.

I guess if you're not chugging them down they might be OK... I usually take tea or coffee when I'm backpacking just to keep the caffeine withdrawal headaches away, but I keep my intake down to a bare minimum.

Glad you had fun!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    That's internet speak for "it doesn't work for me therefore it won't work for you"
    Nope, that's "seen it a hundred times" speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithereens View Post
    Nope, that's "seen it a hundred times" speaking.
    I drink one 5HE at wake-up and usually one at about 2 pm if I'm shooting for a 30 mile day. 1 5HE has same caffeine as a 8 oz of coffee. I usually drink 20 oz of coffee a day at least.

The 5HE are a much "smoother" stimulant than coffee for me. No real "high" or jitters like I get from strong coffee. Just an awake and energized feeling....

Journal Entries

I use to drink the 5HE drinks daily. I also suffer from Crohn's disease, which if I am not careful will cause me to get dehydrated. When it's really bad I have to hospital for 2-3 days. One time my doctor came in and told my blood chemistry was out of whack. That's normal. Then he told me by B-12 levels were extremely high and ask me if I might know why? I told about the 5HE and that it contained 2500% of B-12 daily recommended levels. He just shook his head and walked out.
    Blackheart

Nice kit. Thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++