WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default September/ October mosquito situation?

I'll be doing a fall thru hike, and just realized I could feasibly bring my 3x3m DD tarp. If not I have many other option, I just thought asking here would really help.

The thing makes all kinds of cool tarp shelters but lacks any netting.

I have a hennesey and eno setups but I just hate lugging the underquilts. I'll soon be buying either ZPacks Duplex or something similar- unless I'm confident the tarp will do. And bugs arnt an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shouldn't be a problem, especially if there is an early frost - or it snows. We often get a dusting the last week of September.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'm honestly hoping for a mild taste of winter towards the end. I'm from RI so it's really nothing new.

I meant to add! Thanks for the response. Some of these fancy tents are even lighter than just a tarp so that might be what happens.

We will see. I just have those pre trail nerves

In general, I don't find that mosquitoes are a problem in the fall. What is more, normally mosquitoes "sleep" at night when the temperature drops below 50-degrees. In September/October, virtually every night will drop below 50, so you won't have mossies bothering you while you are trying to sleep.

never found them a problem in sept

I did my e2e 8/13-9/2 and there was only one night when the mosquitoes where an issue...I was also camped next to a beaver pond just south of Stratton Mt off the trail. You shouldn't have any issues in the fall

I was counting on them not being such a problem when I planed to start SOBO this Sept. I know there will be other problems with that plan, but heat and bugs should be coming to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by cbxx View Post
    I was counting on them not being such a problem when I planed to start SOBO this Sept. I know there will be other problems with that plan, but heat and bugs should be coming to an end.
    You won't have a problem at that time frame.

You'll just have to accept that if you are using a tarp without netting, you will likely suffer a lot of mosquito bites over the duration of your trip, even in the fall. You may even get a dozen bites over the length of the trail.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I started my LT hike the Tues. after Labor Day, didn't see a bug the whole trip.

That's crazy! Not even a single bug?However I just found the Tarptent Protrail ($225). It includes a bug net, floor and is the same weight as my plain tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
    That's crazy! Not even a single bug?However I just found the Tarptent Protrail ($225). It includes a bug net, floor and is the same weight as my plain tarp.

Nope, none.

++ New Posts ++