WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Road to Springer Parking

Can anyone tell me what the condition of the forest service road is up to the Springer parking area? I'm driving a Hyundai Sonata. Do I need 4WD?

no 4WD needed

Quote Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the condition of the forest service road is up to the Springer parking area? I'm driving a Hyundai Sonata. Do I need 4WD?
    This time of the year no 4WD is necessary.

Its good to go.

Awesome, thanks guys for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Its good to go.
    Well, we got up there OK, but the road is pretty rough in a few places. You definitely need better ground clearance than the Sonata I was driving provides. Bottomed out numerous times. Keep in mind that this was my wife's car, and she was really giving me "the look" as we're scraping our way up to the parking lot. I talked to a couple of folks in the parking area and they suggested that she go back down the North route, which she said was much better.

Well, we got up there OK, but the road is pretty rough in a few places. You definitely need better ground clearance than the Sonata I was driving provides. Bottomed out numerous times. Keep in mind that this was my wife's car, and she was really giving me "the look" as we're scraping our way up to the parking lot. I talked to a couple of folks in the parking area and they suggested that she go back down the North route, which she said was much better.
    Which way did you go? The FS-42 off from doublegap across from the church was in very good shape just a couple of weeks before your post. This is most direct way to the parking lot. I have not been on FS-58 if that's the way you came in.

There's long term hiker parking available in Amicalola State Park too.

Journal Entries

If she was giving you "the look", you best be taken her out to eat at a really nice restaurant. You do not want mama bear mad at you.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    If she was giving you "the look", you best be taken her out to eat at a really nice restaurant. You do not want mama bear mad at you.
    You got that right! Yep, we came in from the east, thru Nimblewill Gap Rd. She took 42 (west) out of the parking area.

Shame on everyone for not being specific on the Good Route and the Bad Route.
    We live and we learn.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Shame on everyone for not being specific on the Good Route and the Bad Route.
    We live and we learn.
    Wayne
    Well there are numerous approaches but one is the most direct and commonly used, 6.3 miles on fs42 from doublegap road. More like shame on the OP for not being specific on which route he planned to take.

Here's a good way to ask the question: "What is the best route to get to the Springer Parking lot. I'm coming from _______ direction and I'm driving a ________."

If you want the fastest route from Dahlonega/Gainesville/Dawsonville, you'll take Winding Stair Gap road from Nimblewill church road.

If you want the smoothest route for a sedan, take FS 42-3 from Doublehead Gap road on the Ellijay/Hwy 575 side.

If you want to see all the possible take-outs but you are willing to face a road that may be a little rough depending on the weather and the Army's use, take Cooper Gap Road (FS 42)

If you have 4 wheel drive and it's been a little dry, you can take the dirt road out of the back of the Amicalola Falls campground. (High Shoals Road to Amicalola Mtn Road)

I once took Noontootla Road (FS 58) after 3 days of heavy rain to pick up a group at 3 Forks. Had to keep moving through a few soft place, but it was passable. I specifically avoided Winding Stair Gap road that day.

I've been traveling so I didn't see the question until today. Glad it all turned out well, hope you had a good hike.

++ New Posts ++