WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Continental Divide National Scenic Trail vs. the Continental Divide Trail

I'm thinking about my post-A.T. hiking life. Lots of information about hiking the CDT, but it's hard to get a handle on all of it. One of the more vexing issues is the CDNST vs the CDT. What's the difference between the two and what route do most people in 2017 choose?
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

I think that the technical name is the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail. It is often shortened to Continental Divide Trail. If this is not the case, then I will have learned something today.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

For clarification on what I'm asking about. From pmags.com

Two Trail Philosophies

There are two trail philosophies for the CDT: The designated route put forth by the USFS and more of a corridor approach taken by many CDT hikers. I used to say that the concept of purity on the CDT is nearly non-existent. Often a choice of routes is made due to weather, desire for resupply, fires, trail closures, floods, wanting to see certain highlights or “just because.”
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Make the decision when you get there based on current conditions.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Mag's site has a good list of all of the reference material. I would start there and also look at the trail journal sites and see what others have done. Skimming Mag's site I see where you are getting the differentiation between the two acronyms. Bottom line is that you need to hike whatever route that you are comfortable with based upon your own criteria.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

There are multiple alternative routes for many sections of the CDT. Hikers pick and chose which route to take in each area. An example of this is in the Winds. There are alternative that are much better IMHO than the official route. Many if not most take the alternatives.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Erin "Wired" Saver (Walkingwithwired.com) has done the "triple crown", plus lots of other hikes including in Australia and New Zealand. She did the CDT in 2013. Here is a link to her advice to future CDTers.

http://walkingwithwired.com/2013/10/...re-cdters.html

Her trail journal on the CDT, and other trails, is very detailed and worth reading.
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 06-06-2017 at 18:12.

The important thing: Just Do It!
    Have fun picking the alternate routes. There are even alternative start and end points.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Kisco Kid View Post
    For clarification on what I'm asking about. From pmags.com

Two Trail Philosophies

There are two trail philosophies for the CDT: The designated route put forth by the USFS and more of a corridor approach taken by many CDT hikers. I used to say that the concept of purity on the CDT is nearly non-existent. Often a choice of routes is made due to weather, desire for resupply, fires, trail closures, floods, wanting to see certain highlights or “just because.”
    I always prefer the later, "Corridor" approach for all my long distance hiking. I see no real value in being a "purist" if you miss a lot of sites and experiences you would enjoy. Perhaps this has more appeal to me because my first, and best, long distance hike did not follow a trail, but was more of a basic, suggested "route". 3400 miles across the lower 48, walking every step of the way was the determination of a "purist" on that trip.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

There is one CDNST route. There are multiple CDT variations.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

If you do some research on the trail, you will discover that most thruhikers do at least some variations from the official trail. It depends on timing, weather, water availability, fires, floods, etc. Given the length of the trail and the short time window between snow seasons, a lot of people do shortcuts, and sometimes (like this year) the amount of snow on the ground forces people into walking around some of the higher country for safety reasons. Then there is the fun of having the freedom to explore a different route just because it sounds interesting. We did two CDT thruhikes and at least 25% of our second hike was different from the first. Both were great hikes that I would recommend to others. There are other variations I would love to do in future, if I ever hike it again.

With the advent of apps that show how to navigate the trail, I think there will be a lot less free exploring, which is too bad. To me, something is lost in following a route that everybody follows instead of the road less traveled.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I always suggest that people do the CDT over two seasons if possible. Fewer compromises due to weather, fires, floods, closures, etc. Less pressure. More freedom to pick the route you want as opposed to the route forced upon you due to other circumstances.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

You learned that from Pmags? Really?

I'm so glad this world is filled with so many sheep. It allows my type to live like kings. Long live the sheep... Longer live the wolves!

P.S. About to reach 1,000,000 Miles! Premier service for life! Hell yea... long live the sheep, we need more of them.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

++ New Posts ++