WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Default 2017 Section Hikers

Usually there's a running thread each year for us section hikers, and I hadn't seen one yet so thought I'd get it going. Who's knocking some sections out this year, and what sections? Anyone planning to finish this year?

I'll get this started. I just did GSMNP last week, Fontana to Standing Bear hostel. Had a great trip. Saw a mother bear and cub just 2 miles into the hike...first time I've ever seen a bear go up a tree in person. The interior of GSMNP, especially the 8 or so miles after Newfound Gap going North are phenomenal. I had low expectations primarily because prior to the trip I was focused on having to stay in the shelters, and I don't care for sleeping in them...prior to GSMNP I had only slept in 3 in over 1,600 miles of sectioning the AT. Anyway, I got over it, met some cool people and saw a bunch of cool stuff. So it was all good.

As for the rest of this year the plan right now is to finish NH and get a little ways into ME later in the summer. We'll see how that goes after getting my rear handed to me last year up there.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Swatara State Park (443) to Port Clinton Thursday through Saturday. 36 miles of rocks, snakes and perfect weather. Also planning to knock out the section between Duncannon and Swatara in a couple weeks.

Leonidas

Fontana to Sam's Gap in July. Can't wait!
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Nice! Looking forward to the venture into the Smokies. This year will be Fontana through Hot Springs. Hiked Springer to Franklin last year. Have the section from Franklin to Fontana to makeup, but in the meantime headed north, hopefully into Damascus by next year.
    110 AT Miles
    Headed NOBO

"Embrace The Suck"

Journal Entries

Our 10-year plan started in November of 2010 with our first week in Shenandoah. Don't remember the details anymore. Pretty sure we had at least five days on trail, and covered 20-something miles. We were SO SLOW! And not real ambitious. Now we're 70% done with the AT! Year by year it adds up, till one day you start to feel like you know what you're doing, and there isn't anything out there that you can't do - eventually.

Last month we walked SOBO from Great Barrington MA to Fahnestock State Park in NY, 103 miles. Finished Mass, finished CT, only about 50 miles left to finish up NY.
    In Aug/Sept we'll fly up to Maine again to complete another 100 or so miles, Katahdin Ironworks Rd SOBO to Caratunk (about 65 miles), and Caribou Valley Road SOBO to ME 17 (about 40 miles). If we are successful with that section, we'll be done with Maine except the Mahoosucs, which we're saving for last (2020). This year we're also doing another 100 miles of Virginia in 2-3 day weekends, 40 miles this spring, 60 this fall.

Next year we'll finish PA and VT, and probably Virginia.
    2019 will be all about New Hampshire except the Whites, which we've already done.
    2020 we will finish NY, and then prepare for a leisurely stroll through the Mahoosucs. Haha!

Images

Got a few miles around Pearisburg Va to catch, 16 miles of Vermont, all of New Hampshire and Maine.

Hoping to complete the AT this summer: Caratunk to Katahdin.

I did Buena Vista to Waynesboro in April. I'm doing Buena Vista to Daleville next week. That will connect Pen-Mar to Damascus for me. I'd like to get out again in July to do Damascus to 19E to connect to Indian Grave>19 hike (Roan Mountain) I hiked Memorial Day 2016. This is my third year on the trail. I've hiked about 640 miles so far. The tentative plan is to complete the south in sections and then knock out Pen-Mar to Katahdin in one shot, maybe in 2020.

And I did 5 miles RT with my 6 and 11 year-olds up to Rice Field for an overnighter last weekend. That was probably the best hike so far.

Images

Completed Thornton Gap to Harpers Ferry in early May finishing Virginia and West Virginia. I've been section hiking since 1998, but not every year . But I have hiked from Springer Mountain to H.F.
    Now I trying to decide what next.

Did my first section this year. Well, the first time I set out to do a section. I used to live so close I would do little pieces of it here and there. Started at Springer and went to Unicoi Gap in 5 days. 53? Miles. Was planning on longer but really missed my husband. Like REALLY missed him. Didn't enjoy not sharing every moment with him. He's been in my life for more than half of it and married for half my life to him. 23 years last month. I don't regret the piece I did or the fact that I turned around and came home. I met some great people who are still out there hiking. But yeah, I needed to be here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I hiked from Damascus to Bland last month and that's all I will do this year. Everything I'd read about the beauty (and horses) in Grayson Highlands was true, but somehow nobody ever mentioned all the places there where the treadway was an angular rock jumble -- hard on the feet! I've now completed all the trail south of Bland VA (590 miles) since I started chipping away at it in 2013.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Journal Entries
    Images

I did Damascus to Marion, VA. Then got a rental car and doubled back to attend Trail Days. Then drove up to Pearisburg VA and hiked up to Angel's Rest and back to town. It was glorious. I love White Top, Buzzard Rock, Grayson Highlands, and Angel's Rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Usually there's a running thread each year for us section hikers, and I hadn't seen one yet so thought I'd get it going. Who's knocking some sections out this year, and what sections? Anyone planning to finish this year?

I'll get this started. I just did GSMNP last week, Fontana to Standing Bear hostel. Had a great trip. Saw a mother bear and cub just 2 miles into the hike...first time I've ever seen a bear go up a tree in person. The interior of GSMNP, especially the 8 or so miles after Newfound Gap going North are phenomenal. I had low expectations primarily because prior to the trip I was focused on having to stay in the shelters, and I don't care for sleeping in them...prior to GSMNP I had only slept in 3 in over 1,600 miles of sectioning the AT. Anyway, I got over it, met some cool people and saw a bunch of cool stuff. So it was all good.

As for the rest of this year the plan right now is to finish NH and get a little ways into ME later in the summer. We'll see how that goes after getting my rear handed to me last year up there.

Me and my two boys started at Springer in 2007. Our goal was to make it to Damascus, which we did last July. There's real questions whether either or both can join me this summer. They're 22 and 20 and have school/work commitments. If things don't work out, I'll probably pull the trigger and go solo in August or September, heading north from Damascus. I don't know how much I'll enjoy backpacking solo, after doing it in their company so long. We've had the best time a father and sons could have. I am going to miss them terribly. On the plus side, I do love hiking solo, so I think I'm ready, at 56, to try it a new way.

My GF and I have the section between Flagstaff Lake and the Kennebec to finish, the five mile hike from 27 to the summit of North Crocker and the Summit of Old Speck to RT2 in NH. Then, maybe a Presi traverse if we have time.

I didn't plan on it, but it seems like I'm trying to at least do the entire TN/NC stretch this year. I'm about half way there. Might do Spivey to I-40 this weekend to enjoy some moonlight hiking and then I'll still need to do TN-91 to 19E and Newfound to Fontana. This started with doing I-40 to Newfound as a day hike after the Black Mountain Crest Trail seemed too easy. I'm planning to do that last stretch as part of an attempt at Davenport to Fontana in 24 hrs in August. If I survive that and still like walking, I'm hoping for a Davenport to Springer loop on AT/BMT sometime this fall.

In April, I did the section from Davenport Gap through Hot Springs to Devils Fork Gap. I didn't have the full week I usually give myself to do a section, hence the short section.
    In a few weeks, the end of June, I'm heading back up to do another section from Devils Fork Gap north to ... somewhere. Guess I better get to planning that trip, huh. - I thought I was going to have another short week, but I bailed in the Marines' reunion that I was going to attend. Only a couple people that I know were going to attend and a 2 night stay was going to be $500 for just the hotel! I'd rather be hiking! So I will be. With a full week, hopefully I can get half way to Damascus from Devils Fork Gap.

I did a yo-yo (round trip) section hike between Springer and GA/NC borderline in a week in April.

Images

Did Glasgow to Waynesboro in mid-April - beautiful! It was really cool going back and forth between winter on the ridge tops and spring in the valleys, although The Priest/Three Ridges really made me work for it.

Probably my last trip for awhile, got a new addition to the family coming in a few months.
    It's all good in the woods.

Journal Entries

NJ-ME this summer starting june 24

I'm doing Hoyt Rd (NY/CT State line) to NJ/NY State line this year.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++