WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Tomorrow my wife Kathy and I head to Maine to hike a few miles.
    We plan to hike route 4, Rangeley, to route 27 ,Stratton, and then do more depending on how we're handling the mountains and how time is going.

Did Eckville Shelter to Mohican Outdoor Center in the end of June. Next will be Mohican Outdoor Center to Wawayanda SP.

Since I posted earlier on the thread, I have a new trip planned. I found a flight to Newark from Florida for only $113 RT and I will be using trains and buses and hiking from Bear Mt Inn to Pawling. This will give me 46 more miles and put me over 200 for the year. I still hope for a December trip to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Purposeful Wandering View Post
    I'm heading out to complete my next section in a few days. I'm starting Vermont. I've hiked CT and MA so far, working my way steadily north for now. I was originally planning to hike my section beginning Memorial Day weekend, but we've had a lot of rain New England and I heard the mud and black flies were pretty awful, so I decided to push it back.

I assume it'll still be muddy, but hopefully the black flies won't be so bad!

Has anyone been in Vermont this time of year? Are there generally a lot of people out?
    How did it go? My sister and I finished off Massachusetts and went up into Vermont during the first couple weeks of June. The first ~4 dys in Massachusetts were glorious (sunny days, highs in the 60's). I highly recommend a second breakfast on top of Greylock - got eggs Benedict at the lodge and sat outside at the picnic table enjoying the food and the view. Shelters in Mass were in good shape, privies were stocked with toilet paper, trails were generally well-maintained. The black flies were tolerable.

...And then the rain started once we got close to the Vermont border. Two solid days of rain with highs of 47 and lows around 39. We were miserable. We trudged through mud and water for two days. On the second day, we stopped early and climbed into our sleeping bags to warm up. To boot, none of the Vermont privies had any toilet paper. It was miserable, and we debated getting off the trail, in part because we were running low on toilet paper. Fortunately, some trail magic appeared in the form of a couple of weekend hikers with toilet paper to spare!

...Then the sun came out, as did hordes of black flies. The feeling of many (dozens? hundreds?) black flies bouncing off my face while hiking is something I will not soon forget. Thank God for DEET. We were still trudging through mud, but most of the running water was avoidable.

As far as people go, we probably saw 4 - 12 hikers per day. I think one night there was only one other person at the shelter with us. Saw some SOBOs as well as a bunch of NOBOs.

Starting my next section tomorrow after lunch. Damascus to around Mount Rogers Visitors Center.

I started section hiking at Springer in 2007 with my oldest son, John, who was 12. Jack, who was 10, stayed home. Beginning in 2008, the three of us walked every step of the way to Damascus (and Jack and I filled in that opening section he had missed in '07). Tomorrow it's only Jack and I, as the oldest has work conflicts. I'll miss his company, but I'm glad to be returning to the AT for more father/son backpacking.

Is there a better time and thread to make my first post? I don't think so! Starting my first overnight trek in almost 20 years tomorrow AM from Swatara Gap to 183. Years ago I did a few overnights around pulpit rock/the Pinnacle so it won't be my first time on the AT. I had a mind to try and get to Port Clinton but I didn't want to be too ambitious on my first time back out(other than car camping)!

Guess I can throw my entry in here. Hooked up with a buddy from high school (class of '73) this past weekend, and did Compton Gap to Manassas Gap. Two old fat men hiking, a sight to behold. But we did pretty well. Planning our next trip for the fall.

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Sudden downsizing at work produced a rare opportunity. Tentatively planning on doing all of VA starting in mid August.

Any words of wisdom???

Planning a section hike from NY301 in Fahnestock SP south to NY 17 or whatever I have time for, next month. I only have the sections between Mohican Outdoor Center in NJ and NY301 before I complete the AT. I'm basically on the 20 year plan, using the word "plan" loosely.
    "Sea Eagle"

Completed the section from North Adams/Route 2 to Hanover, NH, from 7/12-21. It was a really good hike. Met several thru-hikers, both NOBO and SOBO. Water sources were abundant. The trail was a muddy mess but that's to be expected. Stayed at Green Mountain House and Mountain Meadows Lodge, both were great. Getting close to 1,600 miles completed--been at it since 2005.

Doing the New Jersey section in August with a friend of mine. I cannot begin to tell you how much I learned from everyone on WB. Thanks, you guys!!!!!!!!

Just completed Lee, MA to North Adams. It was my girlfriends' first backpacking trip. She was rewarded with her first black bear encounter as it ran across the trail in front of us.

Heading out in late August for my annual 100 MW trip. Hard to resist when it's so close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Returning to the AT for my second LASH on August 25 to September 18 from Gorham, NH to Katahdin. In October, 2015 I completed the southern 300 miles of the AT. I can't wait to return.

Bearfoot Sumo

Quote Originally Posted by becfoot View Post
    Doing the New Jersey section in August with a friend of mine. I cannot begin to tell you how much I learned from everyone on WB. Thanks, you guys!!!!!!!!

I did this Last year... This year, I am doing the NY section starting at Hoyt Road and walking to my home near Wawayanda. Start on September 8

I'm going back out early next week to knock out 19E to Damascus. That'll be 218.5 miles for me so far in 2017 (not counting the 5 mile RT up and back with my kids to Rice Field -- my favorite hike of the year.) If next week's hike is a success it will take me to about 725 miles and I will have Pen-Mar to Erwin completely hiked and all of my sections contiguous. That'll leave 350 miles or so to complete the southern half. I have enough momentum that I can hope to do that in 2018.

Images

I finished polishing off all of Vermont last week. In September, I plan to do the same to Maine. That will leave me less than 20 miles from Bears Den hostel in VA into Harpers Ferry to complete the whole dang thang, probably Columbus Day weekend in October.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I finished polishing off all of Vermont last week. In September, I plan to do the same to Maine. That will leave me less than 20 miles from Bears Den hostel in VA into Harpers Ferry to complete the whole dang thang, probably Columbus Day weekend in October.
    Harper's Ferry seems like a good place to finish. Congrats in advance. Keep us posted.

The single most delicious can of soda I've ever had in my life came out of the Bear's Den Hostel fridge. So good and cold.

Images

That will leave me less than 20 miles from Bears Den hostel in VA into Harpers Ferry to complete the whole dang thang
    so a mere 5 days of slack packing left?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    so a mere 5 days of slack packing left?
    Well, yes, not counting half of Maine to do in Sept.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++