WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Walmart's Ozark Trail $25 backpacking tent

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...-Tent/55208709

Not a bad option, I need to seal the seams as rain does get in otherwise, not terrible but impractical in real rain without that. Has anyone else tried it?

OK for a kids backyard play tent. Def seam seal. Would also rec added rain fly as heavy rain spritzes through.

Images

No rain fly that goes to the ground = no deal. I've used and gifted several cheapo tents that have worked fine, including one of that design+a full rainfly to the ground. Some that pop up at the top when I went to your link was this one, and this one both Big Agnes copies. I would consider those instead.

I would generally agree with the concerns here, though the tent is obviously a knock off from some of the real backpack tents. I have a Kelty Windfoil that was made tough and right but a pole broke and those are a pain to fix, replacing the elastic cord. I will probably have to throw that one out. The $35 Walmart round tent is not bad considering but would often break with real winds.

Despite added TLC the cheapest fiberglass and steel ferrules break as well usually right above or below the ferrule. There's added risk of breaking in these spots with OT designs with highly bent poles, strong winds, inadvertently stepping on a pole, etc more so with these tents. I would NOT see or rec OT tents for any length of durability or reliability on a multi night. For a night on the lake in a SP CG while car camping OK but not when one relies on shelter on week long overnights through weather when their is no no AT type lean to to fall back upon. FWIW, I just slept in a OT Monodome two nights in Arkansas in town given NEW to me by a homeless person. The inside would not stay dry, it misted through adding to the interior condensation which spritz further onto me with heavy heavy rain drop, the zips were sketchy, and the ventability was less than ideal. Everthing I had got soaked INSIDE THE OZARK TRAILS BRAND NEW MONODOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Despite added TLC the cheapest fiberglass and steel ferrules break as well usually right above or below the ferrule. There's added risk of breaking in these spots with OT designs with highly bent poles, strong winds, inadvertently stepping on a pole, etc more so with these tents. I would NOT see or rec OT tents for any length of durability or reliability on a multi night. For a night on the lake in a SP CG while car camping OK but not when one relies on shelter on week long overnights through weather when their is no no AT type lean to to fall back upon. FWIW, I just slept in a OT Monodome two nights in Arkansas in town given NEW to me by a homeless person. The inside would not stay dry, it misted through adding to the interior condensation which spritz further onto me with heavy heavy rain drop, the zips were sketchy, and the ventability was less than ideal. Everthing I had got soaked INSIDE THE OZARK TRAILS BRAND NEW MONODOME!
    Wait. What? Since when do homeless people hand out tents on Arkansas street corners? WTH????

Lol. The many extra cheapo tents were handed to various people in need. Several folks had multiple tents. I gave respect. These folks despite their limited material resources were in kind considerate and generous. It rained heavily for two days. I needed to stay in town for two days. The tent was a welcome gesture. Interestingly I didn't take the hint most with these tents put an extra poly tarp over the top.

Journal Entries

Obviously someone has never heard of "dumpster diving."
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Interestingly I didn't take the hint most with these tents put an extra poly tarp over the top.
    Tents change over yrs, but we had a dad in scouts that did that. Walmart cheap kids tent, small poly tarp over top. Didnt breathe well, but didnt leak. Tent was so small he had to sleep diagonally to fit.

Journal Entries

I found a new use for rain fly. The video is almost 8 minutes long, but this link takes you straight to it.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    No rain fly that goes to the ground = no deal. I've used and gifted several cheapo tents that have worked fine, including one of that design+a full rainfly to the ground. Some that pop up at the top when I went to your link was this one, and this one both Big Agnes copies. I would consider those instead.
    I have the that tent in orange. The only issues I've had with it were a cracked buckle (still worked) and the inner tent pulled too tightly to allow the zipper to work smoothly. I added some bungie cord to extend two hooks and fixed that little issue. 3lb 7oz out of the box. Roomy for 1p. Poles are aluminum instead of glass.

I have used this tent several times in the rain and never had a leak. Fully guyed out, I used it through an all night thunderstorm with 45mph gusting winds... It flexed some, but not bad at all. Ventilation is good even with the fly zipped closed.

It packs long and narrow, I think 20"x4".

For the weight/price/durability it's a good buy and very usable.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...-Tent/55208709

Not a bad option, I need to seal the seams as rain does get in otherwise, not terrible but impractical in real rain without that. Has anyone else tried it?
    I've used this tent a total of 30 times and it does the job just fine for me.
    Throw a 5x7 tarp over it and you have a bit of extra protection and a place to store some gear.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++