WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default February 2018 Start

Is there anyone out there considering an early thru hike. I would like to get an early start to beat the heat and 🐜
    And if all goes well finish in June.
    I have zero experience with winter hiking. It would be great if I could find a person or people to hike together

You have next winter to get experience in cold weather hiking. It would be a really good idea to do so. Also, New England in May and June might not be fun at all.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I'm planning to start about March 1. If I find myself traveling faster than expected, I'll start taking afternoon siestas. (I'll have plenty of books to read stored on my phone.) I do not want to get into New Hampshire before the end of June. I grew up in Maine, and I know that black flies (late May through late June) regularly take down full-grown moose.

Early nobos this year got hung up in the Whites, the Mahoosucs, at the Kennebec (no ferry that early), and then had to hang out in Monson due to impassible fords and a late opening of trails up Katahdin.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

A couple thru- hikers have finished now, correct? I've been following Early Riser the last few weeks and he's at about 110 days to finish. Pretty good timing, started in February.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    A couple thru- hikers have finished now, correct?
    Kansas and Josh/Turkish were the first two to sign in at KSC. Josh was telling me about buying snowshows and microspikes to make it through the Whites. There were several northbounders in Monson who said they had done a lot of yellowblazing between there and Glencliff, and were planning to head back after summiting Katahdin.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    A couple thru- hikers have finished now, correct? I've been following Early Riser the last few weeks and he's at about 110 days to finish. Pretty good timing, started in February.
    You meant 110 miles, not days as ER had 99 miles left as of yesterday afternoon.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Images

I'm leaning towards a February start in '18. I'd rather hike in the cold than the heat. Some stuff has to come together for me to make the trip in '18 though, I won't be surprised if I have to put it off to '19. I'm already hiking several times a week to build endurance. Not sure how much good it's going to do me being all flat around here, but hopefully if I can do 20 in Florida I'll be able to do 12 on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    You meant 110 miles, not days as ER had 99 miles left as of yesterday afternoon.
    110 days total. He thinks he can hike Katahdin on thursday or wednesday so hes flying through the best part of the AT. Im guessing hes probably around Whitecap by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Cates View Post
    I'm already hiking several times a week to build endurance. Not sure how much good it's going to do me being all flat around here, but hopefully if I can do 20 in Florida I'll be able to do 12 on the AT.
    You can make use of man-made non-flat training areas, though they'll get monotonous. I've got two freeway pedestrian overpasses near my house, and it's easy to walk a 1½ mile loop that goes over each one and back for 4 climbs and 4 descents. (One of those overpasses leads to the nearby Baylands Park, which is a pleasant walk but the marsh trails are about as flat as you can get.) Stadium stairs are also good.

Worst case, you'll start slow and the AT will be your fitness course.

Images

No pedestrian crossings like that here, no need for them. One section of the FT has a land bridge over I-75 but that section is closed right now for logging. 3.6 miles makes for a nice out and back hike, it's hilly for this area and the horse flies help keep you motivated to keep moving so I'll be on that one once it re-opens mid month. I'm also going to join a gym and do some lifting and hang out on the stair stepper in the fall. I know I can start slow and build up on the AT and I'm not planning to be in a hurry anyway but I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it more if I'm in better shape when I start.

The heat really saps energy, I've yet to be able to maintain 3 mph more than 6 miles without having to slow down. I'm in better shape than a lot of Floridians though, lots of shady trails here. I'd hate to have to do all this training out in the open on pavement.
    Horse flies suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Cates View Post

The heat really saps energy, I've yet to be able to maintain 3 mph more than 6 miles without having to slow down. I'm in better shape than a lot of Floridians though, lots of shady trails here. I'd hate to have to do all this training out in the open on pavement.
    Thanks for the workout target.
    Nothing you do in Florida will prepare you for the AT in February. I suggest that you arrive in North Georgia a week before your start. Live in your shelter and sleeping gear and give your body time to adapt to the cold. You have in internal thermostat. Give it time to adjust to winter. Hike the approach trail for exercise.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I'm contemplating a January first start, so far my base pack weight is 15lb which I think is reasonable considering the extra warm gear. My hesitation is on two points: First, do I take snow shoes or not? Second, if I go from shelter to shelter Should I bring my hammock set up? I leaning towards a yes on the second point as I thought that if Ii get caught in a storm between to shelters I could bunk in until it calms down.

Default Planning on leaving Feruary 18, 2018 thru-hiking NOBO

Hi Paul, I am planning on leaving February 18th, but I am open and can freely go anytime. I am retired. I am hoping to finish July 8th on my 50th birthday. I am doing the NOBO hike leaving from GA. I would also like to find someone to hike with. I am an experienced hiker I have actually hiked 260 miles in the past month. I was born and raised in the North Carolina/Tennessee mountains so I am very familiar with the winters. You can contact me at [email protected] and we can talk further and maybe hike together. Look forward to hearing from you.
    Tim (Forrest)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul johnson View Post
    Is there anyone out there considering an early thru hike. I would like to get an early start to beat the heat and 🐜
    And if all goes well finish in June.
    I have zero experience with winter hiking. It would be great if I could find a person or people to hike together

Planning a mid-February start date in 2018. I live in the South and HATE heat and favor all things cold so I'm trying to avoid the heat of the South's spring/summer with my start date. Another reason though is that I'm going to be sloooow going so I need the headstart

Hi Ben, I'm going to start December 31. Shoot me an email if your interested

i started March 4th 2017 and finished July 7th 2017 (126 days). i was hiking with people from 10-18 Feb who summit on the same day or earlier. Dont worry too much about if there will snow or not when getting to Maine.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Ben 2020 View Post
    I'm contemplating a January first start, so far my base pack weight is 15lb which I think is reasonable considering the extra warm gear. My hesitation is on two points: First, do I take snow shoes or not? Second, if I go from shelter to shelter Should I bring my hammock set up? I leaning towards a yes on the second point as I thought that if Ii get caught in a storm between to shelters I could bunk in until it calms down.
    snowshoes are about 1 year in 10 that they would help

15lbs and a hammock - about 1 year in 5 that may be trouble: it could have been much worse with slightly different timing (smokies instead of quick exit at dicks creek)

http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/entry/553720

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ben 2020 View Post
    I would say no to the first one but I carry Yaktrax ICEtrekers Micro Spikes. You may have to post hole in a few places but a hiking pole or trekking poles will help with balance. I carry my hammock a lot of times in the winter. It's a WBBB XLC with a winter cover. I have a HG Cuben fiber tarp with doors and I setup close to the ground if the temperature is monkey bu@@ cold. The winter cover does cause some condensation but not enough to worry about.
    Blackheart

Speaking of February starts, I ran into Piccalo on the trail and last saw him, sweet cheeks and others around Harpers Ferry (I was just section hiking). Anyone know if they made it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++