WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Default Is stealing rattler tails a thing?

We came across this snake on Wednesday on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I got out to check it out and noticed that the rattler was missing from the tail. It didn't look like it had gotten hit by a car. The cut looked pretty clean. The only thing I could think of was that someone had cut the rattle off. The snake was still alive. Has anyone heard if stealing rattlesnake rattles is a thing now? Would not surprise me if that were the case.

snake.jpg

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I have heard that rattlesnakes sometimes lose the end of their tails to fights with predators, particularly bobcats. No idea if this is applicable to the one you photographed, but I thought it was interesting.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Nah, they lose them occasionally in the wild. If someone was going to take one, I can't imagine them not killing the snake first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Interesting about the fights. Would love to witness one of those. The fact that this one was right on the parkway is what lead me to think human intervention.

I had a 13 rattle zipper pull on my Marmot down jacket.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    Interesting about the fights. Would love to witness one of those. The fact that this one was right on the parkway is what lead me to think human intervention.
    The rattles break off for sure
    Never seen everything gone with meat showing

Maybe car

Journal Entries

I was out in New Mexico a few years ago and bought my daughters a pair of rattler earrings and also a pair of snake fang earrings. They thought they were really "cool", but they sure pissed my ex-wife off.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I was out in New Mexico a few years ago and bought my daughters a pair of rattler earrings and also a pair of snake fang earrings. They thought they were really "cool", but they sure pissed my ex-wife off.
    Glad to see you had a good day Bill.

Images

Just shed?
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I've heard of moonshiners removing rattles from snakes and letting them lose near their stills to keep snoopers away. It may be folklore but sounds logical.

I was traveling on the Blue Ridge Parkway one time a few years back when I came around a curve and saw a Timber Rattlesnake in the middle of my lane. I made sure to straddle it, but it didn't move. I pulled over and walked back to the snake, and saw that it had been hit. I was contemplating moving it (safely), but never got the chance. Another car came around the curve, pulled over, and this guy got out of his car and (right in front of his kid), started carving the rattles off for a souvenir. The snake was still alive and was trying to bite him, so he stomped on its head a few times. I couldn't help but wish the snake got a piece of the moron. That kind of cruelty is hard to see. It does happen, unfortunately.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Just shed?
    No, rattles are permanent however skin sheds annually. This looks like a clean cut. If it's intentional the perpetrator took a risk being bitten.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Rattles break off all the time. I've kept many rattlesnakes in the past and it was always a point of pride to raise one from a baby to many years old with the button intact. This isn't a broken rattle, this was an amputation.

No, I did not and do not free-handle venomous snakes. No, I've never been envenomated, not even close. My affinity in the venomous world lies primarily with pit vipers, I'm not much of a fan of other types.

I kept them along with all kids of other reptiles and amphibians because they are fascinating. Now my interaction with them is limited primarily to moving them from the road or relocating them for anxious friends and family.

The tail seems somewhat discolored?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

There is another explanation: the rattlesnake does not have a rattle.
    Some sub-populations of rattlesnakes are thriving without the rattle.
    https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...es-expert-says

There is another explanation: the rattlesnake does not have a rattle.
    Some sub-populations of rattlesnakes are thriving without the rattle.
    https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...es-expert-says

From Quaro:
    Do rattlesnakes shed their rattles?

As others have explained, they don’t shed the rattle itself - the rattle itself is a collection of thickened, shed ‘skin’ from the very end scale (the ‘button’) of the rattlesnake’s tail. That scale is lobed so the shed skins don’t come off because of the constrictions which make it lobed. Each time the rattlesnake sheds another segment is added to the rattle.
    The rattle is slightly asymmetrical so that it doesn’t rattle when the snake crawls, giving the game away to potential prey.

No, in fact the rattle is the only part of their external skin they don't shed. The rattle is made of keratin, like your fingernails, and they are born with a single “button” on the end. Each time they shed, they generate a new rattle behind the old one. So the rattles closer to the body are newer. Rattles don't grow, so they are always the same size as the tail when they are generated. You can generally see a clear taper at the end, with small rattles generated when they were young, and larger rattles as they get older.
    The rattles aren't alive, except the one closest to the body. The one still attached to the body is still “green” and growing, and breaking it would hurt the snake similar to you breaking the part of your fingernail that is at the base of the nail, still attached to the skin underneath.
    There's nothing loose inside the rattle to make noise, instead the rattles have three chambers, or lobes. Two of those chambers are inside the older rattles, and are what keep the older rattles attached. The sound they make is the sound of the keratin rattles hitting each other as they are shaken. Here's a picture I found on Google of a cross-section of a rattle.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Ouroboros........

In Texas and Oklahoma it's traditional to put rattlesnake rattles in the local country fiddle used at dances...

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    The tail seems somewhat discolored?
    Some of the timber rattlers have dark tails like that (if that's what you meant).

So many people kill venomous snakes and think it's okay because...well, it's a venomous snake! I am certainly not one of those people, but I imagine some of those people would cut off the rattle to keep as a souvenir. But to cut the rattle off a living snake ?
    I don't know what kind of person would cut off the rattle, leaving the snake alive. Well, I'd say an evil person. It's cruel to the animal for starters, and the only reason I can think of doing so is to try to get someone or something bitten - because they could no longer hear the rattler's warning mechanism.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++